Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 05-04-2011

Petar is on a distinguished road
Boomkicker application

Hi,

I own a Freedom 36 which has a carbon fiber free standing mast and a rather large (17 ft) boom and a large roach 490 sq/ft fully battened Dacron main sail. Boom is originally suspended with lazyjacks and there is no topping lift fitted. Previous owner has damaged the dodger frame by accidentally dropping the boom by forgetting to tighten up the lazyjacks before dousing the mainsail. There are potentially two solutions to this. One is to fit the topping lift (not sure whether this is actually doable as not sure if there is more than main halyard block on the top of the mast) but it would also interfere with the mainsail roach anyway. Second is to fit the rigid boom vang. Some people fitted Garhauer rigid wang but are experiencing issues with the mast end fitting riding up the mast. Second 'rigid vang' solution seem to be the boomkicker but i am somewhat skeptical due to sheer size and weight of the boom and mainsail and not sure how and if it will support it effectively. Anyone out there having fitted boomkicker on a 36ft or a larger boat with a big boom and mainsail?
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-05-2011

mitiempo will become famous soon enough mitiempo will become famous soon enough
I don't think a boomkicker is made that will handle that large/heavy a boom. The Garhauer solid vangs are well made and available in the correct size for your application.

How can the mast end ride up the mast - proper installation requires a solid bolted attachment at both boom and mast ends as shown below. I cannot see how it could work otherwise.
Attached Thumbnails
Boomkicker application-1.jpg  
Old 05-05-2011

Brian,
Thanks. With CF masts people do not like drilling holes in it to attache things so Garhauer has devised a SS 4-6 inch wide ring that wraps around the mast onto which a rigid vang is attached, but being tapered mast there is tendency for the whole thing to ride up so some have made several securing arrangements to prevent the whole thing going up. some have used really heavy securing arrangements...
Boomkicker solution seem to be very easy to install but am unsure of the weight even with biggest and longest rods they are offering.

petar
Old 05-05-2011

mitiempo will become famous soon enough mitiempo will become famous soon enough
The Freedom is definitely a unique installation for a solid vang. Is your mast aluminum or carbon fiber? If aluminum the holes wouldn't hurt any, and you only need a few to locate the band Garhauer devised. If carbon fiber could a piece of G10 or similar be epoxied to the mast to stop the band from riding up?
Old 05-05-2011

r.furborough is on a distinguished road
I have a Hoyt Freedom 32 and that is fitted with a Boom Kicker, it works well albeit on a smaller rig. Not to quesion the replies you have already received, but you may get a better response at the Freedom forum at FreedomYachts.org • Index page
Old 05-05-2011

jimq26 is on a distinguished road
Apparently quite a few.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petar View Post
Hi,

I own a Freedom 36 which has a carbon fiber free standing mast and a rather large (17 ft) boom and a large roach 490 sq/ft fully battened Dacron main sail. Boom is originally suspended with lazyjacks and there is no topping lift fitted. Previous owner has damaged the dodger frame by accidentally dropping the boom by forgetting to tighten up the lazyjacks before dousing the mainsail. There are potentially two solutions to this. One is to fit the topping lift (not sure whether this is actually doable as not sure if there is more than main halyard block on the top of the mast) but it would also interfere with the mainsail roach anyway. Second is to fit the rigid boom vang. Some people fitted Garhauer rigid wang but are experiencing issues with the mast end fitting riding up the mast. Second 'rigid vang' solution seem to be the boomkicker but i am somewhat skeptical due to sheer size and weight of the boom and mainsail and not sure how and if it will support it effectively. Anyone out there having fitted boomkicker on a 36ft or a larger boat with a big boom and mainsail?
You would use the Boomkicker model 2000. It can handle the size and the weight you mention with no problem.
Old 05-05-2011

CalypsoP35 is on a distinguished road
I installed a boomkicker on my Pearson P-35 which has a 16' heavy aluminum boom. I've had it for about 5 years and have had no issues with it. My only concern with your boat would be attaching it to a carbon boom. Your boom has to be lighter than mine. The other thing you need to make sure of is that the boom is high enough so that you have a proper angle from the base of the mast to the boom. Good luck!

One other thing to consider. If you don't have a vang the kicker will sometimes will pop out when going downwind and bang on the deck. I attached a line to keep the kicker suspended when it popped out. The following year I added a vang.

Last edited by CalypsoP35; 05-05-2011 at 11:11 AM. Reason: added addtl thought
Old 05-05-2011

I am aware of the Freedom forum, but very few members there are either knowledgeable or willing to shere/contribute. There are numerous posts by various people wheich are never answered/followed up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by r.furborough View Post
I have a Hoyt Freedom 32 and that is fitted with a Boom Kicker, it works well albeit on a smaller rig. Not to quesion the replies you have already received, but you may get a better response at the Freedom forum at FreedomYachts.org • Index page
Old 05-05-2011

Thanks to those responding positively. It is encouraging to know that Boomkicker can work on larger boats. Makers have advised me that they in fact do not sell K2000 any more but K1500 with longer and thicker rods which apparently work well with heavy boom as is one on F36.

Petar
Old 05-05-2011
Barkeep - Sailor's Pub

craigtoo will become famous soon enough craigtoo will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to craigtoo Send a message via Yahoo to craigtoo Send a message via Skype™ to craigtoo
34 Sabre, aluminum mast, dacron sails. Boomkicker works excellently.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I love
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.