Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 05-06-2011
I don't discuss my member

Location: Under a boat, in a marina, in the San Francisco Bay
Fstbttms will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbrasi View Post
I recently removed the old Martec folding prop and bought a fixed one. When I slid it up to the taper, it had A) not enough threads for two nuts and B) no hole for a cotter.
Before I go and do something rash like drilling a hole, can someone explain why this is?
If the boat ever wore a Max Prop, it is possible that the shaft had to be shortened to allow the cone gear to seat properly. Regardless, as you undoubtably know by now, the Martec folder does not use or require a cotter pin through the shaft.

If you only have room for a single nut now, the proper remedy is to buy a crown nut and simply drill the shaft for a pin wherever it is convenient.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-06-2011

rbrasi is on a distinguished road
Excellent advice, people. Especially on the drilling part by Mr. Lucas. I was not aware of the drill features mentioned.
Anyway, I've decided to put the old Martec back on. If it ain't broke, don't break it. I wanted to go with a fixed prop, but it's not worth the trouble.
Old 05-06-2011

overbored is on a distinguished road
If you do drill, follow Gary's advice on the drill motor and I would add that the drill bit should be high speed steel type with a 118 degree split point. 135 degree will work but on harder material like stainless the flater the angle the better. drill bit coating is not really an issue as you will only be drilling one hole and on a 1/8" hole you will want 400 to 500 rpm for stainless. you could use a solid carbide bit but they are expensive and break easily when drilling by hand. these bits by Ryobi are the best for hand drilling stainless I have found
Ryobi 21 Piece Drill Bit Set - A10DB21 at The Home Depot
they very cheap ( $ 15 for the set ) and hold up as long a the best high speed bits you can buy. I own a machine and fab shop that specilizes in stainless steel and we buy these for the field crews. they are a good set to keep on the boat also hold up well on fiberglass
Old 05-06-2011
Newbie 'Wog

WDfrmTN is on a distinguished road
Quote:
I recently removed the old Martec folding prop and bought a fixed one. When I slid it up to the taper, it had A) not enough threads for two nuts and B) no hole for a cotter.
Before I go and do something rash like drilling a hole, can someone explain why this is?
20 hp diesel on 30' 1968 Cal 2-30
Many application that use a second nut will not require a cotter pin - the second nut (aka "stop nut", "pal nut", "jam nut", "lock nut") performs the locking function of the cotter pin for a single nut.
Old 05-06-2011

booboonme is on a distinguished road
Our prop shaft only has 1 nut and no cotter pin and when I spoke to my buddy who's a pro, he tells me its virtually impossible to have that nut to come undone.

Last edited by booboonme; 05-06-2011 at 05:03 PM.
Old 05-06-2011

JimsCAL is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Excellent advice, people. Especially on the drilling part by Mr. Lucas. I was not aware of the drill features mentioned.
Anyway, I've decided to put the old Martec back on. If it ain't broke, don't break it. I wanted to go with a fixed prop, but it's not worth the trouble.
Nothing wrong with the Martec prop. Does require a reconditioning every 5 years or so, but the reduced drag and no spinning prop when sailing is worth it. Make sure you use monel cotter pins when putting it back on. Martec cautions against using stainless to avoid electrolysis. If your blades are "floppy" or open more than 90 degrees, its time for a reconditioning.
Old 05-06-2011

rbrasi is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimsCAL View Post
Nothing wrong with the Martec prop. Does require a reconditioning every 5 years or so, but the reduced drag and no spinning prop when sailing is worth it. Make sure you use monel cotter pins when putting it back on. Martec cautions against using stainless to avoid electrolysis. If your blades are "floppy" or open more than 90 degrees, its time for a reconditioning.
I ordered the monel pins from Martec. They cost $5. My original plan was to go with the fixed prop to get more efficiency out of the diesel particularly in reverse. I bought a beautiful Acme three blade and was going to keep the Martec as a backup. Alas, the shaft is not as versatile, though, to be fair, it is perfect for the folding prop.