Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 05-06-2011

JordanH is on a distinguished road
The name search is available online for free here ( Vessel Registration Query System ) ... and hey, if you have some free time, I'm still trying to find a good name! I'm open to suggestions for my red Contessa 26. :-)

As for the question of "why?", well, good question. I could quote a bunch of 'reasons', but it comes down to these; 1) It establishes ownership and clear title. 2) It eases cross-border travels which I'm sure there will be many as I live on the great lakes. A licence establishes taxes were paid, but I hear it's still a bit of a pain for crossing the border without licence/registration. 3) My own personal preference for a uniquely registered vessel - I don't know how to explain the latter, it's irrational, but it's my preference.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 05-06-2011

genieskip is on a distinguished road
I had the same problem on my boat and after doing some preliminary research I gave up and figured out a workaround. There was just no way I would be able to remove the paint and have decent awlgrip on the transom after using all the stuff I would have had to use. So I had the new name done in vinyl on a large vinyl background the same color as the hull. Put a border around the whole thing to separate the vinyl from the awlgrip. Pasted the whole thing over the painted name. Not perfect from three feet away since you can trace the raised paint of the old name but from the normal distance a transom is usually viewed it looks fine and it will do till I have the boat repainted in a few years.
Old 05-06-2011

fallard is on a distinguished road
The paint on top of the Awlgrip may be enamel, which can be polished off. some folks use a wet sanding with a really fine paper, like 1200 grit or finer. A final polish with 3M Finesse-it will bring the Awlgrip gloss back, if necessary.
Old 05-06-2011
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about
Back on topic, thanks guys!

If it's just the transom involved it may not be that big a deal to simply repaint the works... sand off the old name, and repaint the transom and then apply the new name by your method of choice - although if it's old paint colour matching might be an issue in which case there are plenty of boats around with contrasting colours on the transom (eg early CS yachts from factory.)

On the subject of names, what's your favourite red wine??? or how about "Blood, Sweat and Beers"

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)

Last edited by Faster; 05-06-2011 at 10:35 PM.
Old 05-06-2011

heh, topic-drift. :-) I digress.

Ok, so here's the image (large) http://unguardedsleep.com/photos/misc/DSC_2739.JPG it doesn't show the licence number on the bows, but it similar.

You can see the name is on the hull near the stern, the licence numbers on the bow as well as a small "KYC" on the transom that needs to be removed. I would like to move the name from the sides of the stern to the transom.

Having said that, the stern is already busy with the rudder and wind vane... so perhaps I could go over the existing name.
Old 05-08-2011

MarkSF is on a distinguished road
Your question is unanswerable unless you know WHICH Awlgrip paint was used. I looked at their website and they make 4 different marine topcoats with 3 different chemistrys, all of which would be affected by different solvents - acrylic urethane, polyurethane, and polyester.

Your question is essentially "what can I use to get paint off some other paint"

Suggest trial and error.
Old 05-08-2011

Yes Mark. As per post #3, Awlgrip let me know that there are several types of paint they make and how to check which type it is. Once this boat deal closes, I will be able to try their tests and then we'll have more information.

As for trial and error, that's what the question is, "What should I try that will have the least risk of error?" I've got a few helpful suggestions, do you have any others?

For what it's worth, I talked it over with the seller and the paint put on prior to 2004 and was described as "Dragon Red"; We don't know if this was a description or standard paint colour for a particular product but I've asked Awlgrip to look it up on the long-shot that it will help. Awaiting their response...
Old 05-08-2011

jarcher is on a distinguished road
The guy at Awl Grip is pretty knowledgeable. If there is an answer to be had, he will probably find it for you. I spent a lot of his time deciding what color to paint my boat. Based on this, I think I'll collect as much information as possible about the paint that was used and make a record.

I was going to suggest the vinyl solution posted earlier, but you would have to compromise and put the name on the stern instead of the transom.

Sorry I can't offer much more than a bit of encouragement.

Oh, very important! Don't forget the renaming ceremony!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 05-08-2011

MarkSF is on a distinguished road
I'm surprised you need to change the name. Sure you need to pick a name, but can't that be the same one? Then maybe the change in license no. will be limited to a couple of numerals that you can sand off.
Old 05-08-2011

In Canada, we have "licensing" or "Registration". A licence, is simply a number for unique identification and confirms you've paid tax; You can name the boat whatever you would like. The previous owner had the boat licensed but due to changes in the requirements in 2007 my boat is now exempt from licensing.

Registration, on the other hand, is similar (same?) as what you might call "Documentation" in the USA. It provides a clear title and ensures a unique name on the Canadian registry; I believe it is necessary (or desired?) for travelling to many foreign ports. "Vixen" is the name on the boat now and that name is already registered uniquely to another vessel. Since someone else has it, I can't keep it and register that name. (I don't exactly like it either.)

The 7-digit licence numbers on the bow need to be removed as they are irrelevant in the post-2007 rules. I wish it were just a few numbers, but it's not. *sigh*.

Lastly, the club identifier "KYC" needs to be removed because I'm fussy and don't belong to "KYC". :-)

So your vote is that sanding is the safest option to try first?

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.