Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 05-05-2011

JordanH is on a distinguished road
How do I remove paint on top of Awlgrip?

Hi All,
My new boat has been painted with Awlgrip down to the waterline and still looks respectable. However, the previous owner hand-painted/stencilled the boat's name and license number in some, unknown, paint on to top of the Awlgrip.

Now, I want to register the boat and that requires picking a new name and removing the previous licence... so... I'm wondering how I go about removing the painted on name/licence No.
The local marine shop suggested I try a razor blade to lift the paint or fine-grit sand paper on a pencil tip.
Someone else suggested there may be a solvent that would strip the paint but not the Awlgrip.
I've sent an e-mail to Awlgrip and am awaiting a response with their suggestions...

Has anyone else faced this? Any suggestions?
I really don't want to mess up the red Awlgrip below.
J.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-06-2011
Plausible Deniability

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about
Considering the cost, I'd wait for the Awl response.

But since red dyes fade badly in the sun (even the best of them) there may be some ghosting no matter how you take the old paint off, leaving a brighter red image under it.

Body shops often can polish off paint like that, without really cutting into the paint that is beneath it. That's "just" using a polishing wheel, and a skillful touch with the right abrasives. It might be worth having this done professionally. Or, consider putting a "plaque" under the new lettering, masking the area off and putting a solid background behind whatever replaces it. That might be necessary in any case, if there's ghosting or the removal just doesn't go right.
Old 05-06-2011

The Awlgrip response came in but was inconclusive since we don't know which type of Awlgrip was applied and we don't know what type of paint was applied on top.

They suggested I try a cotton ball soaked with Acetone (in an inconspicuous area) to determine if it was Polyester or Acrylic. They tempered the response with the statement, "In 8 of 10 situations the owner ends-up sanding the lettering off," and cautioning about the effectiveness of solvents.

I'll give the methods a try and see what happens I suppose.

I will have to go check the lettering requirements for a registered vessel in Canada, but I suspect they will not coincide with the current placement of the name and license no. When considering the fading, I don't think this is going to end well.
Old 05-06-2011
Barquito

Barquito is on a distinguished road
After sanding painted letters off of a gelcoat finish, I had serious ghosting. I really doubt you would be able to get paint-on-paint off cleanly. Would it look horrible to repaint the whole the transom? (or do the letters go on the topsides?)
Old 05-06-2011

kd3pc is on a distinguished road
I have used oven cleaner - spray it on the paint letters, work it in with a gloved finger, trying not to get too much on the Awl grip...then wipe with paper towels and a good "sticker remover" I use goo gone... Then lightly polish the ghosting out, wet scotch brite pad 1000/1500 grit and VERY light pressure. Wait a few days and then check again...

best of luck
Old 05-06-2011
Plausible Deniability

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about
Jordan, are you just dealing with a transom? Or both sides of the bow or quarters as well?

FWIW is you use lye of any kind, a mild acid wash (vinegar) is needed to neutralize it afterwards. Just water isn't as effective.
Old 05-06-2011

Barquito, the ghosting is what scares me.

kd3pc, thanks for the tips! I'll add them to my list of things to try.

hellosailor, Currently, the boat is marked on each side of the bow and side at the stern - nothing on the transom. I have yet to research where the Canadian registration requires markings but I suspect I will want to place it on the transom, not the stern quarters.

I hadn't thought of using lye, but if it comes to that, I'll remember to neutralize it. thanks.
Old 05-06-2011
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about
Are you actually 'registering' the boat or 'licensing' it? If licensing (ie the provincial number) there's no 'rules' per se, you can put the name and number anywhere you want but the number must be clearly visible.

If you're registering then the (unique) name is supposed to be at least 3" (or 6") tall (IIRC) and on the bows, as well as on the transom. However I don't think this is heavily enforced in recreational vessels that go the registration route. We used to own a registered 40 footer and only had the name on the transom. No one came after us.

The official number must be affixed below somewhere in a permanent manner, although again for recreational vs commercial vessels there's some leeway and many have used 'plaques' with the tonnage and number engraved. You also need to carry the 'blue book' documents.

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Old 05-06-2011

Hi Faster,
Right now the boat is licenced, although as of 2007, my boat is no longer required to be licenced (the rules changed, and the little girl has under 10hp engine).

I am planning on registering it which is why it needs a new name. Since I last posted, I found this link: Frequently Asked Questions - Transport Canada . I understand the markings are required to be 10cm (~4"). This "For pleasure craft and air cushion vehicles, both the name and port of registry must be marked together on a clearly visible exterior part of the hull," implies that the marking could be anywhere since it's a pleasure craft. It looks like only commercial vessels require bow&stern locations. I suspect it won't look very nice if I leave it where it is on the stern quarters.

If I can place the tonnage numbers on a plaque as I think that would be more aesthetically pleasing.
Old 05-06-2011
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about
Registration used to be quite inexpensive, I think that's changed in the last 10 years or so. From your link, it looks like $250 - does that include the name search?

To me the main advantage of registration is not needing to put the 'unsightly' provincial number anywhere, but licensing is free, and as you say you don't actually need to if the boat's under 30 feet and under 10hp. So.... I'm wondering why you want to......

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)