Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 05-06-2011

oldironnut is on a distinguished road
ethanol fuel

For all the benefits proclaimed for using alcohol in boat fuel I have heard that it is hydroscopic. Which is dandy for absorbing small amounts of water and burning it up as the engine runs. On the other hand would it also attract moisture during long periods of storage exacerbating the problem? Maybe accumulating enough water preventing the engine from even starting. Do I leave the tank full with stabilizer added with no air above the fuel. Or should I drain and dry the tank?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 05-06-2011

MarkCK is on a distinguished road
I assume you are talking about how to store the boat if it isnt in use for a while. I get the tank near empty then put stabilizer in and then run the engine until I am sure the stabilized gas has been run through the entire system. Then next spring I fill it up with fresh gas and it runs fine.
Old 05-06-2011

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about
"For all the benefits proclaimed for using alcohol in boat fuel "
You must have access to better propaganda than I do. I've never heard anyone call gasahol a good fuel for boats. Not even the folks who sell it. And the problems it causes get endless press.
Old 05-06-2011
formerly posting as eryka

wingNwing is on a distinguished road
Yes, in addition to the water issues, ethanol is corrosive to rubber hoses and gaskets and will cause (particularly older rubber) to break down, creating little particles to come loose and clog injectors. I don't know a cure or additive for this other than proactively changing out hoses every couple of years, and running the engine dry before storage of more than a few days.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Cinderella, CSY 33, Photo by Joe McCary

Regret for the things we did can be tempered by time; it is regret for the things we did not do that is inconsolable. - Sidney J. Harris

Shameless self-promotion - my blog for the Annapolis Capital newspaper:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
still has some glitches to be worked out. Until then, I'm posting at:
and
! And a new project:
Old 05-06-2011

sailhog has a spectacular aura about sailhog has a spectacular aura about
If the engine is going to be sitting idle for more than a few months, I would drain the tank and refill with non-ethanol fuel. I've heard of some folks topping off their tanks with 100LL, which is available at most small general aviation airports.

The stuff is terrible... I'm not defending it. However, I've also heard from lots of folks who have just used fuel stabilizer during winter lay-up who have not had problems. In general, if the fuel starts to get shades of red, that means it's starting to separate and "stratify." If you see that at the end of the layup, drain the tank, clean it, clean your lines, carb, filters -- everything -- and use fresh fuel.
Old 05-06-2011

pdqaltair is on a distinguished road
Good for what? It seems Al Gore, one of the prime suporters of ethanol, has reversed himself, stating on the record that he suported ethanol for political gain.
Sail Delmarva: Al Gore and ethanol--So, now it's not a good thing, now that I'm out of politics?

But that genii isn't going back in the bottle, no sir.

Some additional information on e-10 and wate rabsorption:
Sail Delmarva: Ethanol and Gasoline and Diesel - References

I've been quite happy simply closing the tank vents (small engines) and filling the tank after every use; full tank means no breathing.

Also, I highly recomend going sailing often. Tell your wife it's "required boat maintainace." Mine believes that... perhaps 30% and only when I say it in the dead of winter!

"Well, I just climb up to them."

by Joe Brown, English rock climber

Old 05-06-2011

tommays will become famous soon enough
While i hate the stuff its main issue is in small stroke outboard motors as it seems to clog the new tiny 3 star carbs up its also causes some issues on boats with the 200 gallon tanks that don't turn over there fuel often enough and wrecked a bunch of fiberglass fuel tanks that used resin it did not like

In my 19' powerboat with 36 gallon tank it took 9 years before there was enough issue to pull the siphon tube and suck off a few gallons from the bottom and keep on going

When i sold the boat last year the E-10 had been heavily stabilized and was 18 months old the boat performed without issue on the demo

1981 J24 Tangent 2930
Tommays
Northport NY

If a dirty bottom slows you down what do you think it does to your boat
Old 05-06-2011
Newbie 'Wog

WDfrmTN is on a distinguished road
Find Ethanol-free Gas

Find ethanol free gas near you!

Ethanol-free gas stations in the U.S. and Canada

Last edited by WDfrmTN; 05-06-2011 at 05:26 PM.
Old 05-07-2011

peikenberry is on a distinguished road
See Much Ado About Ethanol http://newboatbuilders.com/docs/Ethanol.pdf

My Boating Safety Blog

Dont Tell Me that I can't. Tell me how I can!

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.