SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Standing rigging won't

3K views 10 replies 7 participants last post by  JimsCAL 
#1 ·
take any more abuse. Here is my situation. It is a Bucc 240,(no I am not getting rid of it) my first boat. Putting in the lake June 1st, new marina, so time is short. Noticed two strands on the outside port shroud, are broken right at the turnbuckle. Both port and starboard turn buckles, are bent in the exposed threaded area. Can't tighten or loosen, they just happen to be just right tension. I got a some quotes on replacing all the standing rigging, at about $450-500. I started thinking of just replacing with
longer turnbuckles to get past the broken strands. And leaving the for and aft as is.
However, I can't see inside these turnbuckles. What holds the end on the cable? Would I be able to use another type of turnbuckle?
I might need to gain 2-3 inches of length.
Heard the term swaging, but the only thing I can picture is a loop with a crimp type piece to hold it. But that implies an 'eye' on that end. Just doesn't seem right. Any suggestions??

#3 · (Edited)
I think you are confusing different terms. The turnbuckle is the center part that you turn to adjust the rig. The threaded part that fits into the top of the turnbuckle is a swage fitting. You do not have the proper press to swage a new fitting. Nor should you use the hand crimps found at the local West Marine. This type of swage fitting actually squeezes the fitting around the wire at a very high pressure. So high that it fuses the wire to the fitting. No way to take apart and repair. So using the same wire would require you to cut the wire where it enters the fitting. If you have broken strands at one location, the rest is soon to also fail.

Just pay the $500 and replace everything. Your lack of rigging knowledge is a sure sign that you should not be trying to band-aid a solution. Stay safe and have it done right. Your family and friends will thank you.

#4 · (Edited by Moderator)
I think you are confusing different terms. The turnbuckle is the center part that you turn to adjust the rig. The threaded part that fits into the top of the turnbuckle is a swage fitting. You do not have the proper press to swage a new fitting. Nor should you use the hand crimps found at the local West Marine. This type of swage fitting actually squeezes the fitting around the wire at a very high pressure. So high that it fuses the wire to the fitting. No way to take apart and repair. So using the same wire would require you to cut the wire where it enters the fitting. If you have broken strands at one location, the rest is soon to also fail."
I used the in-store crimping tool at West Marine, and the crimps they sell, to swage a short cable on my boomvang.

Came unswaged, twice.

The first time it snapped I got to watch the entire boomvang assembly perform a graceful arc into the sky, back into the bay, and sink without trace.

When I went back they said "actually, our crimping tool is no good - you need to buy one of these tools to do it properly". If the tool is no good, shouldn't there be a sign on it saying so?

Did you mean not to use their tool, the crimps they sell, or both?

Clearly there is some expertise involved when doing standing rigging and while it should be possible to learn the pitfalls, this is something that has to be entirely right, the first time.

#8 ·
As most everyone has already indicated there is no 'quickie shortcut fix' to this problem. The rigging is toast and it's a safety item that needs to be properly repaired. Spend the bucks, I'm afraid...... the parted strands are a big red flag.

#9 ·
I agree with those who say just replace it. It is money well spent. If you really want to do it yourself, use mechanical fittings such as StaLok or Suncor Quick Attach and duplicate it. Buy some extra wire for the learning curve.
I recommend that if you don't already have bronze open body turnbuckles, you specify those to the people making your new rigging. Avoid stainless steel closed body turnbuckles like the plague.

#10 ·
Thanks all. I will replace them all, as per the advice. I got a quote from WestMarine, for the total identical rigging @$450 ish.
Would there be some other supplier y'all might recommend?

You know... if I do this, it will make my boat worth $450 dollars.

#11 ·
No local rigging shop?

Also there are several online riggers that will make identical copies of what you send them. Prices probably better than WM. A search here will probably turn up threads with details on experience with them.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.