Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 05-10-2011

mtboat is on a distinguished road
Standing rigging won't

take any more abuse. Here is my situation. It is a Bucc 240,(no I am not getting rid of it) my first boat. Putting in the lake June 1st, new marina, so time is short. Noticed two strands on the outside port shroud, are broken right at the turnbuckle. Both port and starboard turn buckles, are bent in the exposed threaded area. Can't tighten or loosen, they just happen to be just right tension. I got a some quotes on replacing all the standing rigging, at about $450-500. I started thinking of just replacing with
longer turnbuckles to get past the broken strands. And leaving the for and aft as is.
However, I can't see inside these turnbuckles. What holds the end on the cable? Would I be able to use another type of turnbuckle?
I might need to gain 2-3 inches of length.
Heard the term swaging, but the only thing I can picture is a loop with a crimp type piece to hold it. But that implies an 'eye' on that end. Just doesn't seem right. Any suggestions??
Old 05-10-2011

time is short

oh no, I am alone! Was it the B word?
Old 05-10-2011

Tim R. is on a distinguished road
I think you are confusing different terms. The turnbuckle is the center part that you turn to adjust the rig. The threaded part that fits into the top of the turnbuckle is a swage fitting. You do not have the proper press to swage a new fitting. Nor should you use the hand crimps found at the local West Marine. This type of swage fitting actually squeezes the fitting around the wire at a very high pressure. So high that it fuses the wire to the fitting. No way to take apart and repair. So using the same wire would require you to cut the wire where it enters the fitting. If you have broken strands at one location, the rest is soon to also fail.

Just pay the $500 and replace everything. Your lack of rigging knowledge is a sure sign that you should not be trying to band-aid a solution. Stay safe and have it done right. Your family and friends will thank you.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

-----------------------------------------------------

Last edited by Tim R.; 05-10-2011 at 10:08 AM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-10-2011

MarkSF is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by treilley View Post
I think you are confusing different terms. The turnbuckle is the center part that you turn to adjust the rig. The threaded part that fits into the top of the turnbuckle is a swage fitting. You do not have the proper press to swage a new fitting. Nor should you use the hand crimps found at the local West Marine. This type of swage fitting actually squeezes the fitting around the wire at a very high pressure. So high that it fuses the wire to the fitting. No way to take apart and repair. So using the same wire would require you to cut the wire where it enters the fitting. If you have broken strands at one location, the rest is soon to also fail."
I used the in-store crimping tool at West Marine, and the crimps they sell, to swage a short cable on my boomvang.

Came unswaged, twice.

The first time it snapped I got to watch the entire boomvang assembly perform a graceful arc into the sky, back into the bay, and sink without trace.

When I went back they said "actually, our crimping tool is no good - you need to buy one of these tools to do it properly". If the tool is no good, shouldn't there be a sign on it saying so?

Did you mean not to use their tool, the crimps they sell, or both?

Clearly there is some expertise involved when doing standing rigging and while it should be possible to learn the pitfalls, this is something that has to be entirely right, the first time.

Last edited by Faster; 05-10-2011 at 01:34 PM. Reason: fixed quote
Old 05-10-2011

Tim R. is on a distinguished road
The hand crimp tool and the swages they sell are suitable for smaller jobs like a boom vang cable but not a shroud from a 24ft. boat.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

-----------------------------------------------------
Old 05-10-2011

AdamLein will become famous soon enough
A more plausible DIY solution is all-rope rigging with Dynex Dux, Home. No affiliation.
Old 05-10-2011

MarkSF is on a distinguished road
Can't mess with the standing rigging. If any wires are fraying, the whole lot should be done. Spend the $500, you'll have a safer boat, and if you ever want to sell it you've got a positive to mention.
Old 05-10-2011
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about
As most everyone has already indicated there is no 'quickie shortcut fix' to this problem. The rigging is toast and it's a safety item that needs to be properly repaired. Spend the bucks, I'm afraid...... the parted strands are a big red flag.

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Old 05-10-2011

knothead has a spectacular aura about knothead has a spectacular aura about knothead has a spectacular aura about
I agree with those who say just replace it. It is money well spent. If you really want to do it yourself, use mechanical fittings such as StaLok or Suncor Quick Attach and duplicate it. Buy some extra wire for the learning curve.
I recommend that if you don't already have bronze open body turnbuckles, you specify those to the people making your new rigging. Avoid stainless steel closed body turnbuckles like the plague.
Old 05-10-2011

Thanks all. I will replace them all, as per the advice. I got a quote from WestMarine, for the total identical rigging @$450 ish.
Would there be some other supplier y'all might recommend?

You know... if I do this, it will make my boat worth $450 dollars.