SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Navpod Pedestal Guard

6K views 8 replies 5 participants last post by  chef2sail 
#1 ·
Hi,

Just wondered if anyone else has upgraded from a straight pedestal guard to an angled one to facilitate better chart plotter ergonomics. I currently have 1" tubing approximately 9-1/2" wide and 46" high.

The Edson on-line catalog doesn't seem to offer 1" tubing only kits. They only carry the 1-1/8" tubes. I don't have any reason to buy a new top plate, so I just want the tube.

In another on-line supplier catalog I see NavPod makes 1" tube angle guards at 58" high and the correct width for WAY, WAY, WAY less $$ than the Edson pricing.

Is this a case of marine mark-up, or is there a difference in tube types / materials that is not apparent to me? I'm tempted to go with the NavPod tube because it seems like "tubes is tubes". Yes? Navpod gear has a pretty solid reputation, so my gut is telling me to go for it.

Any other supplier of replacement angle guards I should consider? Is my gut speaking the truth?

Thank you,
Chris

See less See more
#4 ·
Now there's something I never thought about! The only thing is, I believe I would want a little extra length to compensate for the bend, so I'm leaning towards going with the new post. Great thought though!

#3 ·
I changed our 1" straight pedastal gaurd to an angled one to fit a navpod for a raymarine Chartplotter. I think I got it at Defende but it was about 4 years ago. The angle really makes a big difference and also keeps the charplotter from getting banged as it is set back away from the helm

Here is a picture of the Admiral cruising up off the NJ coast to New England a few summers ago after Installed the new set up

Dave

IMG_0437.jpg picture by chef2sail - Photobucket

#5 ·
The angle really makes a big difference and also keeps the charplotter from getting banged as it is set back away from the helm
That's what I've been thinking... I know I can make the plotter work on the straight post, but I'm pretty sure it would look a little odd, and force it to be at an angle that doesn't work quite as well as it should.

Sound like it's the right thing to do. Thanks!

#6 ·
I like my angled pedestal guard. I did have to have it modified to get it offset from my rather large pedestal diameter so that I could add an Edson table without it interfering with the pedestal when it's in the (hinged) down position. So, do consider modifications of the production guards from Edson.

Here's a pic of my set-up.

Attachments

#7 ·
I upgraded from a 1" Edson straight pedestal guard to a 1 1/8" angled NavPod pedestal guard last season. this was part of installing the new NavNet 3D in a NavPod 'pod', I definitely wanted it pushed back from the helm and angled for better viewing.

as you said "I don't have any reason to buy a new top plate, so I just want the tube.... because it seems like "tubes is tubes". Yes? " - I found that is not always the case. my Edson top plate was fitted with spacers to hold a 1" pedestal guard, and we measured and expected that removing the spacers would accommodate either the 1 1/8" Edson or NavPod pedestal guard. as noted above, the NavPod pedestal guard is less $ than the Edson. However, the Edson top plate (without the spacers) wouldn't fit over the 1 1/8" NavPod pedestal guard, and rather than trying to grind out the Edson top plate I had to order and over night air the NavPod top plate... afterwards the electronics installer said this wasn't the first time he'd had this problem, and from now on he was always going to spec a new NavPod top plate with a NavPod pedestal guard. not so say that you'd necessarily have the same problem, but it did happen to me...

#8 ·
as you said "I don't have any reason to buy a new top plate, so I just want the tube.... because it seems like "tubes is tubes". Yes? " - I found that is not always the case.
I'm not upgrading to the 1-1/8" tubes, so I'm hoping that 1" is 1", and tubes-is-tubes! Interesting to hear the story though... Now I won't be surprised if I try to do the install and discover I need to break out the Dremel. Fortunately I have all the pedestal components here in my garage, so I'll be able to test if before I get out to the boat!

Thanks for the tip - I'm sure this one will benefit others as well at some point.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.