Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 05-12-2011

NateKing is on a distinguished road
Scuba compressor ???

I have been trying to find info/input on peoples experience with having an onboard scuba compressor. I have found threads here and on other sites from a few years ago, but can't find anything more recent. I understand that a compressor will take up valuable space and would be a luxury, not a necessity, but I love diving and want to be able to dive whenever I want, and not have to go ashore to fill tanks.

I am planning to buy my boat in about 1.5 - 2 yrs time and I'm currently working on my budget and getting as much experience as I can. I don't know what size or model of boat I will end up with, but planning on something in the 36'-42' range, but really want to incorporate a dive compressor if space and budget allow. What would you suggest for an onboard compressor? Would mostly only be filling tanks for 2 divers.

-Electric/Diesel/Gasoline?
-Small cascade system or higher compressor output?
-Any other advice/experiences would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you so much in advance,

Nate
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 05-12-2011

SVPrairieRose is on a distinguished road
Nate, I crunched some numbers a few years ago about this but don't have all the info at hand. The only compressor small enough to be reasonable on my boat 39 footer, was about the size of two milk crates side by side. It was very expensive and would take ages to fill my tanks. I carry two HP 130s and typically get two dives off each. I would sooner have more tanks than a loud slow power hungry compressor.
Old 05-12-2011

VetMike is on a distinguished road
I would agree. You can buy a lot of tanks for what a compressor costs and it does not take forever to fill a tank.
Old 05-13-2011

whroeder is on a distinguished road
Instead of scuba which requires tanks, think hookahs Google: tankless diving equipment.
From the Miami boat show they had 1-4 person units. Some would dive 2 to 75 feet (must still be certified for those) Come in battery or gas powered (I'd rec gas)
Note, they use different regulators, scuba regs not compatable.
Old 05-13-2011

Tim R. is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by whroeder View Post
Instead of scuba which requires tanks, think hookahs Google: tankless diving equipment.
From the Miami boat show they had 1-4 person units. Some would dive 2 to 75 feet (must still be certified for those) Come in battery or gas powered (I'd rec gas)
Note, they use different regulators, scuba regs not compatable.
Hookas require you to stay tethered though. Scuba offers much more freedom and safety.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

-----------------------------------------------------
Old 05-13-2011

kd3pc is on a distinguished road
we looked seriously at adding a compressor to our 42', but even with what most consider a lot of space...we could not mount any where that would make sense except outside ahead of the mast. That would mean leaving an expensive Bauer unit out in the weather for all practical purposes and that would mean even more maintenance.

We then looked at some custom, an engine driven system, and some hybrids and if money were no object they may be an option. Even the Bauer is near $10K with filters and spares, and would still take a while to fill 2 or 3 cylinders.

Engine driven would be an issue with our Yanmar for both space and engine load. Electric almost out of the question unless you are running a stout gennie and the compressor at the same time = a LOT of noise. We have a 6K gennie and that is not enough to run the low end units. Upgrade to +++KW is another chunk of change.

Small system would work but take hours to fill two tanks... I have seen a lot of used dive compressors in the last year or two both commercial as well as gov't surplus at great prices. But when you factor spares, installation and look at the hours on the used gear it just did not work for us.

You buy dive compressors cheaply if you go off brand, foreign made, less quality air systems, but for something that your life would depend on, we stayed with name brand quality.

We have taken the course of buy two tanks this year, to go with the four we have and add a couple more later on. We think this will be the best compromise.
Old 05-13-2011

NateKing is on a distinguished road
I appreciate all of your input on this topic. My big reason for wanting to have a compressor is independence; not having to rely on a others for air fills, but I do understand your thoughts on the subject. Maybe I would be better off just buying more tanks and filling them anytime I have an opportunity so that I am never with out tanks. The issue there is, wouldn't having more tanks take up more room than a compressor?

I like the idea of a hooka system for shallow dives on open reefs and for boat maintenance, but I like to be able to dive deeper than a hooka allows and would think that a surface hose would be very restrictive.

I'm just afraid of having a once in a lifetime diving opportunity, the perfect out of the way spot or something, and not having full tanks to take advantage of the opportunity.

Luckily I have plenty of time to get this figured out.

Thanks again for all your replies!
Old 05-13-2011
Tartan 37C

T37SOLARE is on a distinguished road
Rebreathers are starting to make their way in to the recreational market, expensive but an option.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

SOLARE
T-37 #442
Old 05-13-2011

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about
Nate, the compressors are all expensive and the consumable supplies for them (filters,etc.) make it even more so. Ain't cheap to keep them operating. I'd suggest as kd3 said, buy two or four more tanks, whatever will occupy the same space that the compressor you'd have bought, and call it a day. With the money you save, you can have fresh tanks brought out by helicopter. :-)
Old 05-13-2011

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough
The only person I've known to have one, ultimately took it off. Too much trouble. Pretty sure it was about $4 grand.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.