Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 05-13-2011

willynilly is on a distinguished road
Now fridge won't turn off!

I disconnected my Adler-Barbour unit to remove the fresh water tank for repairs with Sailnet advice. Water tank is fine, but now the fridge unit will not cycle off with the switch on. Turning the temp control down will not turn compressor off. The good news is it runs COLD! Did I toast the thermostat? On a side note, the evaporator is in a bad spot in the box for using the ice tray: the lines are too short. Is it possible to get longer hoses? If I disconnect, will refrigerant leak out?
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-13-2011
Move over Joan Rivers!

deniseO30 will become famous soon enough deniseO30 will become famous soon enough
Thermostat would be most likely stuck on or it's not sensing the temp. Find the sensor tube (looks like a wire) should be clipped to the Evap. warm it with your hands or disconnect a wire from thermostat and see it it turns off.

You will loose the charge if you cut the lines. many AB units do have connections at the condensing unit that reseal when taken apart, but they often leak when put back together.

my current "project"!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 05-13-2011

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by deniseO30 View Post
...Find the sensor tube (looks like a wire) should be clipped to the Evap. warm it with your hands or disconnect a wire from thermostat and see it it turns off......
If the sensor read an increase in temp, wouldn't it want to keep the compressor on? I've typically experienced compressors that won't come on, where this may be the test. Refridge isn't my strong suit.

Nevertheless, I find thermostats (not necessarily the sensor tubes themselves) to be a necessary replacement item after a while in marine fridges.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 05-13-2011
Move over Joan Rivers!

deniseO30 will become famous soon enough deniseO30 will become famous soon enough
My bad.. my mind was air conditioning mode when I wrote that!
Correction, Most thermostats are just 2 wires. ck with a meter or just disconnect a wire and see if the compressor stops running.

my current "project"!
Old 05-13-2011

JimsCAL is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by deniseO30 View Post
My bad.. my mind was air conditioning mode when I wrote that!
AC thermostat would still turn the unit ON when warmed. I think you mean a heat pump in the heat mode.
Old 05-13-2011
Move over Joan Rivers!

Gad.. lol anyways...

Thermostats for Refrigeration make on rise. AC makes on rise, Heat makes on drop. (of temperature) Seems I knew that 40yrs ago...

my current "project"!
Old 05-16-2011

willynilly is on a distinguished road
Great info! The lines are connected with brass fittings, but gas leaks out when disconnected. As for the thermostat, I'll unplug it and see if it will reset. Thanks!