Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 05-14-2011

benajah is on a distinguished road
First time on the water in our new (to us) boat

My wife and I recently got a Cal 2-27 and today was the first time we had a chance to get her out on the water. Both of us are more used to lighter, sportier, more responsive boats (no real experience in heavier pocket cruisers), but we were pleasantly surprised at how nimble it is under sail, also how little it heels.
We learned a few things about buying a used boat today though. First off, we are both used to outboards. This particular inboard has prop walk with a vengance. I literally had to lean standing on the tiller to keep on course at half throttle.
Secondly....dont go out and hoist sails on a used boat without carefully inspecting every part of the halyard shackles. Out jib shackle came loose (hanked jib, was fastened properly but I did not inspect it well, the keeper let loose and it came off.) Jib comes down on the deck in about 15 knots of wind, I am thinking the halyard came loose from the cleat but no, the halyard just let loose from the jib, and as it turns out now I have to go climb the mast on Sunday to get the wire halyard down from the masthead. I tried fishing it down with some tent poles but the mast is just too high.
Overall we are really happy with the boat, but we are both used to much smaller, lighter, racier boats, so this one is going to take some getting used to. It sails extremely well, and with both a 80% jib and full main up (being conservative first time out) it does quite well. we hit hull speed on a beam reach with this combination in about 10 kts of wind.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 05-14-2011

JimsCAL is on a distinguished road
Glad you are happy with the "new" boat.

The steering under power sounds extreme. Yes the typical inboard powered sailboat will need a little more attention under power to keep it on course, but what you describe is very unusual. Perhaps another 2-27 owner will chime in and indicate if this is normal for the boat.

You may be able to attach a coat hanger bent into a hook to another halyard and snag the jib halyard. Did that once on a Pearson 26 when that happened to me many years ago. If you go up the mast, make sure you fasten that halyard shackle a bit better!!
Old 05-14-2011

dacap06 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to dacap06
That doesn't sound right at all! It's been decades since I was in a Cal but I don't remember the prop walk being that bad (except in reverse).

I'm wondering if the boat is incorrectly propped or if the prop is damaged. Did you feel vibration? Is the prop fixed, folding, or feathering? What did the surveyor say about it, if you had a survey done?
Pasadena, MD
Old 05-14-2011

Tanley is on a distinguished road
If you have another halyard, try attaching one end near the top/middle of your boat hook and tie another long line at the handle. Raise the hook with the spinnaker halyard and use both lines to steer the hook.

I was able to get our genny halyard down in about 5 minutes using this setup.

Good luck
Old 05-14-2011

oldibtgdy is on a distinguished road
halyard shackles

old racing trick. bicycle inner tubes are about the right diameter to stretch over snap/other shackles --- keeps them from releasing at embarassing moments --- otherwise, tape it shut before you hoist. goes for jib/spin sheets too.
Old 05-14-2011

pdqaltair is on a distinguished road
All of the honest sailors will admit to a halyard going up the mast. But generally only once, so it's good you've gotten that ritual out of the way!

I've found climbing to the spreaders with a surfcasting pole with a fishhook lashed to the end can work. The spreaders aren't high.

"Well, I just climb up to them."

by Joe Brown, English rock climber

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 05-14-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by dacap06 View Post
That doesn't sound right at all! It's been decades since I was in a Cal but I don't remember the prop walk being that bad (except in reverse).

I'm wondering if the boat is incorrectly propped or if the prop is damaged. Did you feel vibration? Is the prop fixed, folding, or feathering? What did the surveyor say about it, if you had a survey done?
I am wondering too if it is a prop issue, but I only paid $4000 for the boat so I didn't bother with a survey. I inspected the big stuff closely, fully expecting needing to do work on the little stuff. I need to put winches and clutches on the cabin top, fairleads at the mast to lead the halyards back, cut down the tiller (it is huge, looks to be taken off a boat with a larger cockpit).
But the hull is in great condition, engine runs very well, and all the interior teak is in near perfect condition. I will sail it this summer and haul it out when winter comes and fix any prop issues.
Old 05-14-2011

MarkSF is on a distinguished road
Sounds like someone put the huge tiller in to address the prop walk.

Could have a prop issue, or the rudder has a problem (bent shaft?) putting it out of balance.
Old 05-14-2011

SJ34 is on a distinguished road
Don't know about the length of the tiller on a 2-27 but on my Cal 25 it reaches nearly to the cabin.
Old 05-14-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by SJ34 View Post
Don't know about the length of the tiller on a 2-27 but on my Cal 25 it reaches nearly to the cabin.
Maybe the one on my boat is original too, it goes nearly to the forward end of the cockpit. Seems real large but I can see needing the leverage. There just isn't a whole lot information available on these boats so I can't do too much research into it.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.