Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 05-15-2011
s/v Tiger Lily

dvuyxx is on a distinguished road
Cabin Sole Patterned Carpet

Has anyone ever used this cabin sole patterned carpet. I was thinking about it for my interior. I'm sure it won't appeal to everyone's aesthetic sensibilities, but I thought it was kinda nice, combining the softness/comfort of carpet with the long lines of cabin sole. See link:

World Panel Products Inc
Click "Marine Tuft Carpet"
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-15-2011
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about
IMO carpet has no place in a cabin sole (or anywhere else below) other than a small mat at the companionway steps. It will absorb moisture, hold mold, get smelly and look bad after not too long.

The carpet you linked to is not so differently priced than their other products.. I've seen the vinyl version samples (Lonseal) and would be tempted to go with that as it would be an easier install, looks much more like the 'real' thing, won't have carpet's shortcomings and will be easy to keep clean with minimal upkeep.

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Old 05-15-2011

Allanbc is on a distinguished road
The PO of my old boat had custom fit carpet installed. It actually wasn't too bad can could be easily removed for cleaning. It didn't slide as it was a custom fit. It was OK but I probably wouldn't buy it for a boat. We never had a problem with smells but we live in a pretty dry climate and the boat was on a lake. The carpet did feel nice on bare feet.

Difference between a power boater and a sailor out on the water: A power boater is going some place special, a sailor is already there.

s/v Zotz 1981 Pearson 365 Ketch Hull #375
Old 05-15-2011
Move over Joan Rivers!

deniseO30 will become famous soon enough deniseO30 will become famous soon enough
I like the carpet and even though there are some related problems with it you can certainly make it removable.

When volunteering at a marine museum shop, I once had the privilege of cutting up a whole pallet of teak and holly into the sizes required for a real T $ H sole of a yacht.
It's beautiful!

I dream of making mahogany and maple for the sole of my boat but may never actually do it. I do like the alternatives however.

My boat is for sale.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 05-15-2011

mitiempo will become famous soon enough mitiempo will become famous soon enough
Carpet gets damp and holds the moisture against whatever is under it. A mat that can be washed easily over a proper wood sole is probably the best.
Old 05-15-2011
s/v Tiger Lily

dvuyxx is on a distinguished road
It is an indoor/outdoor carpet, so if it was just cut to an exact fit, it wouldn't be put down with adhesive (or other) and could be hauled out for a wash. I doubt it's that absorbent if its I/O. I probably would enjoy a real teak sole floor, but the installation + material seems a lot more involved and expensive. Plus, I'd probably end up putting a small area carpet on it anyway.

I think that Lonseal (and similar) product is pretty nice. How does it age?
Old 05-15-2011
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by dvuyxx View Post
I think that Lonseal (and similar) product is pretty nice. How does it age?
Can't tell you how it ages, but I've had the samples in my hand and they're much heavier duty than your average kitchen lino. The look is quite good (but of course not the 'real thing'). I suspect the difficulty will be in being able to buy small enough quantity for your needs. Maybe get together with others who want some and make a bulk buy....

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Old 05-15-2011

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough
We have a custom cut carpet in the salon. It does not go to the wall, but follows the contours to within a few inches. We also have a thin non-skid pad underneath, which can be fit with a pair of scissors, so it never moves.

We do have a vacuum and run a dehumidifier when away, so it is always as nice as the carpet at home. It really makes the room comfortable as we live aboard for approx half the sailing season.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 05-16-2011

jameshunterwpp is on a distinguished road
cabin sole carpet

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvuyxx View Post
Has anyone ever used this cabin sole patterned carpet. I was thinking about it for my interior. I'm sure it won't appeal to everyone's aesthetic sensibilities, but I thought it was kinda nice, combining the softness/comfort of carpet with the long lines of cabin sole. See link:

I have been in the marine industry for many years, and yes products of yester-year were not manufactured with the marine elements in mind. Marine tuft is specifically designed from polymers to resist moisture, and handle the marine elements.

Last edited by Faster; 05-16-2011 at 09:31 AM. Reason: fixed quote