Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 05-15-2011

Jolubrle is on a distinguished road
Deck Waste Caps

I just bought a 1978 Crown 34 and the first time pumping out the waste holding tank managed to drop the cap into the bottom of Puget Sound. The Perko caps that I have found don't seem to have the same thread pattern. Anyone know what type of cap may fit this older boat? Thanks in advance for any help.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-16-2011

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough
I'm assuming it isn't that unusual or the pump out guy wouldn't have had an adapter. Maybe they could tell you what the thread pattern was and search for one on the internet.

Another option is to swap out the deck fitting for something that takes a cap you can more easily locate. You may find a marina or two along the way that will help you drop that cap in the drink, so having a spare is helpful.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 05-16-2011
Irrationally Exuberant

arf145 is on a distinguished road
Hmmm, our marina's pump-out is just a tapered rubber nozzle you shove in the waste outlet--threads not important.

2000 Beneteau 331
Northern Chesapeake Bay

Ambition is a poor excuse for not having enough sense to be lazy ~ Steven Wright
Old 05-21-2011

Jolubrle is on a distinguished road
I'm sorry maybe I didn't explain it well enough. The cap I need to replace is the one on the boat that seals up the hole you pump out of. It is a threaded cap that screws in to the fitting on the boat that closes the hole.
Old 05-21-2011

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough
Got it the first time. Ask the pump out guy about the adapter he used to pump you out, then look it up on the internet. Or change out the deck fitting (ie the part the cap screws in to) to something more common.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 05-22-2011

tap is on a distinguished road
Minnewaska, I don't think the pump out guy used any kind of adapter.

I think Perko has two metal deck fills. One is for hose and one for pipe, with the pipe one being slightly larger.
See these two fills:
Fisheries - Product Detail
Fisheries - Product Detail
Could be one is the one you want and the other isn't. Or maybe they just don't make your cap anymore? You might be able to find one at a consignment store like Second Wave. I managed to find an old Perko pull ring that was designed to fit into my anchor locker lid that way.

Or just get a new deck fill. Just the cap for the Perko pipe fill is $44, while you can get a 316 stainless Sea-Dog deck fill, with a cap, for $16 or $22 depending on if it's for pipe or hose. It's like $5 for a plastic fill.
Old 05-22-2011
Senior in age only!!!

centaursailor is on a distinguished road
You could also measure the thread form with a thread guage and the outside diameter with a micrometer or vernier. These are common tools in any engineering workshop.
Then either find a suitable cap or nut to blank off.
Safe sailing

Last edited by centaursailor; 05-22-2011 at 03:31 AM.
Old 05-22-2011
Mermaid Hunter

SVAuspicious will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by tap View Post
I don't think the pump out guy used any kind of adapter.
Some pump-out hoses have a rubber conic section that gets pushed into the waste deck fitting. One holds it down to make a good seal.

Other pump-outs have a threaded adapter that is tightened into the deck fitting. The rest of the suction hose snaps onto the threaded adapter.

With respect to your cap, perhaps it is a metric cap? I know mine (Swedish boat) often create some confusion at places that use the threaded adapters. Since Crown's were made in Canada it is conceivable that it is a non-SAE (English) thread and diameter.
beware "cut and paste" sailors.

Old 05-22-2011

imagine2frolic is on a distinguished road
You can always stuff a piece of clay to mold to one half of the threads, so you can pull it out, and match it up..........i2f

BORROWED, No single one of us is as smart as all of us!

Old 05-22-2011

JimsCAL is on a distinguished road
Here's some possibilities right here from the Sailnet store:

Sailing Hardware: Harken, Lewmar, Schaefer, Forespar. Marine electronics from Raymarine, Garmin, Furuno, more

A similiar search on your favorite marine store (Defender,
West Marine, etc.) will give other choices. Look for the one that matches your other fittings (water and fuel).