Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree13Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-18-2011
Courtney the Dancer

jrd22 will become famous soon enough
Dhays- my wife feels the same way. How do you adjust those, the pics show a stopper knot behind the grommet or an eye splice. So you have to "set" these to a specific spot either with a splice or stopper and then use them in the same location on the boat each time? A clove hitch is so easy I have been resisting this (irrational) decision for years but she ends up usually being the one to hang the fenders when we go in to a slip so maybe it's time I found something that works for her.

1988 Brewer 40 Pilothouse

Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-18-2011

poopdeckpappy has a spectacular aura about poopdeckpappy has a spectacular aura about
Defective Admirals make wonderful fenders and if you hang them upside down, you get the added option of curb feelers

Freedom comes when youíre ready to sail away. True freedom comes when you donít have to return

Cut off from the land that bore us, betrayed by the land we find, where the brightest have gone before us and the dullest remain behind, .......but stand to your glasses, steady,.......tis all we have left to prize, raise a cup to the dead already, hurrah for the next that dies
Old 05-19-2011

MikeWhy is on a distinguished road
$10 and $15 a crack... are you nutz? $30/pair comes out to more than I paid for a cam cleat. It seems to me there's a dummy tax applied.

If it we me, I would pool the money you were about to spend, and hire someone to spend a few hours and help you sort out your lines. Agree beforehand to abide by his recommendations for, say, two months before discarding them for a store-bought doodad.

Could the problem be something as simple as using the wrong kind of rope? I can see how a stiff, braided line can slip a clove hitch, but the soft-handed lines I've seen on all fenders snug up very securely on lifelines. A clove hitch is easy and fast to tie, even more so if you tuck a loop rather than the entire end. Sung it up tight so it bites into itself and won't go anywhere; the loop makes it easy to undo (just like your shoelace).
Old 05-19-2011

T37Chef will become famous soon enough
If you cant stand the clove hitch, I am rather fond of these: Fender Adjusters [3333] - $9.95 : Seafaring Ship's Store, Latitudes & Attitudes&

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Photo by Joe McCary
Old 05-19-2011

mitiempo will become famous soon enough mitiempo will become famous soon enough
This is how I tie my fenders to the lifelines. Never slips and easy to adjust. Not sure what it might be called though.

It's late so the pic shows the front of my stove.
Attached Thumbnails
Fender hangers...too many choices!-006.jpg  
Old 05-19-2011

poopdeckpappy has a spectacular aura about poopdeckpappy has a spectacular aura about
Larks Head

Freedom comes when youíre ready to sail away. True freedom comes when you donít have to return

Cut off from the land that bore us, betrayed by the land we find, where the brightest have gone before us and the dullest remain behind, .......but stand to your glasses, steady,.......tis all we have left to prize, raise a cup to the dead already, hurrah for the next that dies
Old 05-19-2011

mitiempo will become famous soon enough mitiempo will become famous soon enough
Thanks
Old 05-19-2011

L124C is on a distinguished road
I wouldn't tie the fenders to the life lines to begin with. If you don't have any other options, tie them to the bottom of the stanchions. On my dock, I've eliminated hanging them off the boat altogether by mounting them horizontally on the dock. I don't have to put them away on the way out, or take them out and hang them on the way in. They can't ride up on the dock, thereby becoming worthless. 100% of the fender contacts the hull and therefore cushions the boat. Vertically, it's 25% max. I find old fenders floating or laying around and use them, and keep the nice ones below. The only downside is that I'm out of the habit of getting fenders out when approaching a guest dock. I can live with that!

Last edited by L124C; 05-19-2011 at 01:39 AM.
Old 05-19-2011

captflood is on a distinguished road
GREETINGS EARTHLING; You can pad what your bumpping it will save the knots and cost the earth GO SAFE
Old 05-19-2011

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough
We typically tie off to a stanchion base, but that does rub the line over the varnished toe rail, so it isn't ideal. The knot isn't an issue, we've always used a round turn and two half hitches. Its just natural to us.

Dragging the four 12"x34" fenders up the side decks after a long day of sailing gets tougher each time. Those things weigh as much as a small child and its very awkward to hold them over the side, while you tie them off to a stanchion base. When dropping them underway and the base catches a bow wake and gets kicked up, that can be a lot of weight to hold onto.

We look at every doohicky, but haven't seen one we think it either secure enough or will do the job well.

Ideally, I would like something that mounts to the stanchion and might be stainless itself, so that it blended in a bit. The attachment doesn't need to be adjustable, I would like something knotted to the fender line that just slipped in to the stanchion gizmo at an exact predetermined length. If we could just haul them up the side deck in order, plug them in and walk away, that might make the Admiral less cranky about it.

The downside to having something fixed on the fender line, is that you might have to remove it or be able to adjust it for a foreign port or fuel dock.

Unfortunately, our new marina is frowning upon permanently attaching fenders horizontally to the slip. If I were the Marina Manager, I would avoid my wife this weekend. She's not happy.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.