Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree13Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-08-2013
snake charmer, cat herder

Location: refitting a formosa in exotic tropical locations....
zeehag is on a distinguished road
Re: Fender hangers...too many choices!

i love it when folks use plastic fender holders on their lovely new fenders then leave em up in a good storm..... that is how i got all my fenders---no names on em and no id---lost at sea--all for me..thankyou so much --it is appreciated greatly.
i use rope and knots and i am not able to use my thumbs--there are many knots monkeys like me can use that securely hold fenders to boat ...lol thankyou all so much .

dont expect to find fenders lost from my boat, as i already know how it is done. i have to affix mine securely and with lines..not flimsy plastic holders--so if you use fender holders, make sure they do not have any potential of falling apart in a storm or in sun. also please checkto make sure i am down wind and down current from ye...

have a great day . happy sails!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

formosa 41 and ericson 35mII
cruising tropical mexico at present, working my way southward

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-08-2013

Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice

Fenders on lifelines....Not for me.....

IMHO lifelines are there to save your life not be to hang fenders off and abuse your lifelines & stanchions year round. I have watched lifeline hung fenders is storms too many times to ever even think of it..

I much prefer mine down low at the base of a stanchion, toe rail, genny track or on dedicated pad eyes... It is easy to create a cheap system where the same fender goes in the same spot each time. Simple carbiners can even work..
olson34 likes this.

© Images In Posts Property of Compass Marine Inc.

Old 09-08-2013

lifelines are not for saving lives--they are only for showing you where the edge is---they do not stop your fall nor save you. if they were intended to save your life they would be a lot burlier.

Old 09-08-2013

Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeehag View Post
lifelines are not for saving lives--they are only for showing you where the edge is---they do not stop your fall nor save you. if they were intended to save your life they would be a lot burlier.
Considering they saved my butt a couple of times over the years, stopped me and kept me from having to use my tether, I do consider them lifelines... Also seen many slam into them racing and each and every time they did what they were supposed to do stop the bow guy or person on deck from going in the drink......

© Images In Posts Property of Compass Marine Inc.

Old 09-08-2013

glad they worked for you. they do not always....

Old 09-08-2013

Chas H is on a distinguished road

I run the fender line once around the stanchion base then tie two half hitches above the base. Have never had a problem with slipping. I don't want any more leverage on stanchions than occurs otherwise.
-CH
Old 09-08-2013
always busy with sailing

Alex W is on a distinguished road

Two options that I like:
1) A rolling hitch around the stanchion gives you a height adjustable fender. Great if you don't know if you'll be tying up to a dock or rafting up with another boat. Works best on single lifeline stanchions.
2) A caribinier-type device at the end of a fender line that is already set to the correct height for your boat and dock. Clip this to the lifeline stanchion bases. Any crew person can figure out "clip one of these to each stanchion" without having to know any knots.

When I first got into sailing I liked those plastic clips that Davis sells. Then I found out what happens in rough water: the plastic clip breaks and your fender ends up floating away. If you are unlikely they put a high load on your lifelines in the process.
bljones likes this.
Old 09-08-2013

JonEisberg will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maine Sail View Post
Fenders on lifelines....Not for me.....

IMHO lifelines are there to save your life not be to hang fenders off and abuse your lifelines & stanchions year round. I have watched lifeline hung fenders is storms too many times to ever even think of it..

I much prefer mine down low at the base of a stanchion, toe rail, genny track or on dedicated pad eyes... It is easy to create a cheap system where the same fender goes in the same spot each time. Simple carbiners can even work..
Yup, never ceases to amaze, how commonplace the practice of hanging fenders from lifelines is...

I think it would probably be easier to bring about an end to radio checks on 16, than to convince sailors to quit hanging fenders from lifelines :-)

"Hanging your fenders from the same spot each time", however, you Maineiacs are way too accustomed to floating docks... Fixed docks with pilings are one of the primary reasons god created the perforated aluminum toerail, after all :-)
Old 09-08-2013

steve77 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonEisberg View Post
Yup, never ceases to amaze, how commonplace the practice of hanging fenders from lifelines is...

I think it would probably be easier to bring about an end to radio checks on 16, than to convince sailors to quit hanging fenders from lifelines :-)

"Hanging your fenders from the same spot each time", however, you Maineiacs are way too accustomed to floating docks... Fixed docks with pilings are one of the primary reasons god created the perforated aluminum toerail, after all :-)
I wish I had a perforated aluminum toerail. I've been using the round turn and two half hitches on the lifeline but I never felt good about it. The carabiners at the base of the stanchion idea sounds like a good one to me.
Old 09-08-2013

pdqaltair is on a distinguished road

a. Mainsail hit it on the head. I've seen many lifelines damaged when a fender got caught under a dock, and I'm sure many more are loosened. Your funeral. When I see fenders hung from lifelines it screams "unseaman like" to me. Tie them to the toe rail or equivalent.

b. Zeehag, your understanding of fall control systems is limited. They will absolutely catch folks that are smart enough to get low when it gets rough and they have saved many. More importantly, many sailors (landsmen) make poor use of lifelines, pressing down on them the way you would a railing; you PULL UP on them and to one side, to keep your feet on the deck. While you are welcome to practice what you like, spreading a gospel that is unsound could hurt someone. Instead, preach that standing tall in rough conditions is unseaman like.

"Well, I just climb up to them."

by Joe Brown, English rock climber