Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree13Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-09-2013

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough
Re: Fender hangers...too many choices!

As we enter port, my wife usually deploys the fenders. Often, I will put them out on deck and get a loose round turn started, but she drops them over the side and adjusts the height.

Recently, I've had to compromise on where they would be tied. They were always at the base of the stanchions and I refuse to allow them to be tied to the lifeline, other than an emergency or extremely short term. (btw, our marina only ties them to the lifelines when they launch her in the spring. Drives me nuts). However, we use 12"x36" fenders and they are quite awkward to hold in position while bending over or kneeling on deck to tie them off. We just started tying them to the stanchion, but right above the first life line.

It doesn't pull down on the lifeline, but it is a little more leverage that I would like on the stanchion. However, its a compromise I need to live with.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 09-09-2013
Mermaid Hunter

SVAuspicious will become famous soon enough

Sometimes circumstances dictate otherwise.

Perforated aluminum toe rails are convenient for all kinds of reasons. They're great for mounting snatch blocks just about anywhere. I do worry about tying anything directly to them on some boats as the hole edges are not always rounded over so chafe can be a problem.

My boat has short bulwarks (about 3") capped with teak. They are great for wedging a foot against but there is nowhere except stanchions and lifelines to tie finders. Tying to a stanchion abrades the teak toe rail. Accordingly on my boat I use a clove hitch on a lifeline at the stanchion to hang fenders.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdqaltair View Post
Instead, preach that standing tall in rough conditions is unseaman like.
Never be too proud to crawl.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnewaska View Post
However, its a compromise I need to live with.
We all have to do the best we can. Ultimately, good decisions in the face of reality IS good seamanship.
bljones likes this.
beware "cut and paste" sailors.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 09-09-2013

manatee is on a distinguished road

I'm curious: though they have been mentioned, nowhere has anyone said anything about *adding* deck fittings to support fenders. Could you add a few cleats, properly located, bedded, back-plated & through-bolted?

Making Cleats

Cleat Specs Drawing

Or even better, perforated toe-rail between lifeline stanchions:

Handrails and grab rails and toe rails.

Crest Aluminum Products Co, Inc

Cleats and toerails are not terribly difficult to make, and could be good projects for winter or foul-weather days. Toerails would also increase the safety of working near the edge of the deck, not to mention dressing up your ship.
===========================

"The skipper should be the calmest person on board.
It is good for the morale of those around you. However, if everyone around you is frightened then be aware of the possibility that they know something you donít."

~~Dylan Winter,

Last edited by manatee; 09-09-2013 at 12:16 PM.
Old 09-09-2013

JonEisberg will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdqaltair View Post
When I see fenders hung from lifelines it screams "unseaman like" to me.
And yet, it's amazing at how often I see it on high-end yachts, Hinckleys and the like...

Even the multi-million dollar Tag 60 is not immune to such abuse :-)

Old 09-09-2013

MikeWhy is on a distinguished road

And so... Maybe we're making too much out of nothing. When has that ever happened?
Old 09-09-2013

JonEisberg will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWhy View Post
And so... Maybe we're making too much out of nothing. When has that ever happened?
Of course, this practice is not the end of the world, by any means... On the other hand, I wouldn't characterize it as "nothing", either...

Many of us here sail Good Old Boats, or might be in the market for one... One of the most common problems with such boats, is penetration/saturation of the deck core... And, I would guess, that one of the most common contributors to that issue, is the abuse of lifelines, and the working of stanchion bases against the deck that is created by stress from fenders, or pulling one's body weight against stanchions when boarding from a dock, or dinghy, and so on...
bljones and AlaskaMC like this.
Old 09-09-2013

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonEisberg View Post
........the abuse of lifelines, and the working of stanchion bases against the deck that is created by stress from fenders, or pulling one's body weight against stanchions when boarding from a dock, or dinghy, and so on...
Amen. This is why all stanchion deck penetrations should potted with epoxy, because one will never stop them from being abused somehow. Seriously, I've tried. The worst are marina employees when pulling or launching. You would think the boat was disposable.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 09-09-2013

MikeWhy is on a distinguished road

Without disagreeing with anything that had already been said, and all of it is sound advice, I still want to point out that the worst case is trapping the fender under the dock. The forces are greatest then, obviously. And yet, the stanchion anchorage hardly seems to be such a great issue then. Or, rather, the much greater problem is the lack of fender-age when that happens.

At the same time, the bit of give in the lifeline is arguably preferable to the solid metal to metal attachment of clipping to the stanchion base. I only meant to say earlier that it isn't as dire as all that. You're simply trading one set of problems for the other, and I don't see that one is clearly preferable. Pick one, keeping in mind that a tidal range of 3 ft or so is going to be trouble anyway.
Old 02-19-2014

Livelyhood is on a distinguished road

I don't think that anybody is active here anymore, but the best option for hanging fenders is Fastfender in my opinion. They are very easy to use and once your fenders are hanging, the hight can be adjusted as well. At first I was a bit sceptical, but once I tried it is just much quicker than knotting
Old 02-19-2014

H and E is on a distinguished road

I bought some of these from Academy. Went back to brass snap hooks.
I have 6 - 8 x 27 fenders and tie up at various docks.

Academy - Davis Fender Tender II

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.