SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Fender hangers...too many choices!

23K views 85 replies 45 participants last post by  Livelyhood 
#1 ·
My fellow boat-owners (the admiral and my co-owner's admiral) want some way to hang fenders off the lifelines that does NOT require any type of knot. In addition, the device must withstand nasty weather (we seem to have the misfortune of only docking when bad weather arrives). Finally, it must be easily adjustable.

Does Anyone have any experience with the following devices, and have some feedback as to their efficacy?

So far I have seen many ideas:

Amazon.com: Taylor Made Products Hook and Loop Boat Fender Strap (Pair) (36 - Inch): Sports & Outdoors

HARDLINE PRODUCTS\ EZ-Adjuster Fender Hangers at West Marine

TAYLOR No-Knot Fender Hanger at West Marine

Loop Cleats

Tidy-Ups™ Fender Adjuster Kits - iboats.com

#83 ·
I was taught to never hang anything from the lifelines. I should have listened.

I learned my lesson when i had a stanchion bend in bad weather. I tie to the bottom of the stanchion or toe rail now.

I agree withh Zee; i love free fenders. If you use hangers please right your name in perm marker so we know where to return them.

#84 ·
Splice the line through the fender, splice a snap hook on the other end so it hangs just at the water level when hung from the top lifeline at each stanchion.

If you want to hang it from a different height, just take some wraps around the stanchion to shorten it up.

#85 ·
Not to diverge, but the earlier suggestion to get the other halves to learn to dock is a very good one. Not just because of the fender-tying issue...

Consider that if you were incapacitated for some reason… how will she/he be able to handle the boat? You'd be fairly screwed. It is so important that everyone in the crew be able to cope with this possible eventuality.

And the other halves do indeed need to know how to tie knots and that quickly, for the same above reason. It may be desperately necessary at some point. Frightening, but possible.

Besides, it has been my observation that (I'm assuming women here) tend to have a lighter hand on the helm and thus have gentler docking skills :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.