SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Gear & Maintenance (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance/)
-   -   Fender hangers...too many choices! (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance/74581-fender-hangers-too-many-choices.html)

Kiltmadoc 05-18-2011 05:24 PM

Fender hangers...too many choices!

My fellow boat-owners (the admiral and my co-owner's admiral) want some way to hang fenders off the lifelines that does NOT require any type of knot. In addition, the device must withstand nasty weather (we seem to have the misfortune of only docking when bad weather arrives). Finally, it must be easily adjustable.

Does Anyone have any experience with the following devices, and have some feedback as to their efficacy?

So far I have seen many ideas:

Amazon.com: Taylor Made Products Hook and Loop Boat Fender Strap (Pair) (36 - Inch): Sports & Outdoors

HARDLINE PRODUCTS\ EZ-Adjuster Fender Hangers at West Marine

TAYLOR No-Knot Fender Hanger at West Marine

Loop Cleats

Tidy-Ups™ Fender Adjuster Kits - iboats.com

rockDAWG 05-18-2011 06:07 PM

A few years ago, I was searching for a better solution just like you. All were just waste the money when the novelty died. I found you can beat a Clove Hitch Knot.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aewgmUeHpuE

Sorry, please don't shoot the messager. :) This is so easy, even the caveman can do it. It becomes a second nature :D

Kiltmadoc 05-18-2011 06:47 PM

your point on the clove hitch is well made. If it were up to me alone, I would mostly agree. However: the clove hitch around a life line that's a much smaller diameter slips alot. So, I have been doing 2 1/2 hitches. The problem arises from some of the other people involved: too many variations occur and it makes a mess to untie.

Believe it or not (knot), it took us the whole season to decide that all lines would be flaked instead of coiled from now on. And that a single loop would be backed through the top of the flake to keep it from uncoiling.

This type of discussion would be one of the small disadvantages to co-owning a boat. However, for our purposes, the benefits greatly outweigh the drawbacks.

SVAuspicious 05-18-2011 06:59 PM

I'm firmly with RockDAWG on this. There is no substitute for a clove hitch. All the doodads are expensive ways to lose fenders.

dhays 05-18-2011 07:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kiltmadoc (Post 731855)
your point on the clove hitch is well made. If it were up to me alone, I would mostly agree. However: the clove hitch around a life line that's a much smaller diameter slips alot. So, I have been doing 2 1/2 hitches. The problem arises from some of the other people involved: too many variations occur and it makes a mess to untie.

A clove hitch is wonderful, quick, easy, cheap, flexible, and my wife doesn't want to use it.

Hence these. They are easy to put on and easy to take off. The fender is easy to adjust as well. They are also very strong. I use two of them on my FenderStep and clip them to the base of the stanchions in the boarding gate.

I picked up a couple at the Seattle boat show and my wife ended up loving them so much that I got enough for all my fenders. It makes the wife very happy, which is turn makes me very happy.

Dave

Jaitt 05-18-2011 07:47 PM

Hanging Fenders

Hi,

just regarding the slipping, tie the loops of the clove hitch to the life line either side of a stanchion where the lifeline passes through, low down to reduce leverage.

If you need a fender between stanchions, double up the lines and hang the fender between two stanchions

Works for us..

:)

chef2sail 05-18-2011 08:20 PM

Here # 5 for the clove hitch,,,simple is better

arf145 05-18-2011 08:45 PM

Of course, Kiltmadoc wasn't asking for everyone's favorite hitch for hanging a fender. He explained why a hitch wasn't going to do it for his situation. Hopefully, they'll be some more users of the gizmos to provide some firsthand advice--but those fender clips look pretty good to me.

poopdeckpappy 05-18-2011 10:08 PM

Davis Fender Tenders II

Works on both 7/8" - 1" SS tubing and Lifelines

hellosailor 05-18-2011 11:35 PM

If you don't like clove hitches, how about some double-sided velcro? Buy it in 36" long strips in Home Depot, hang the fenders from it. Pull it up over the lifelines and one side sticks to the other, so you can just "stick it" instead of tying a knot at whatever point you want.

Or you could just do the proper seamanlike thing, replace those defective admirals. :-)