Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree13Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-18-2011

Kiltmadoc is on a distinguished road
Red face Fender hangers...too many choices!

My fellow boat-owners (the admiral and my co-owner's admiral) want some way to hang fenders off the lifelines that does NOT require any type of knot. In addition, the device must withstand nasty weather (we seem to have the misfortune of only docking when bad weather arrives). Finally, it must be easily adjustable.

Does Anyone have any experience with the following devices, and have some feedback as to their efficacy?

So far I have seen many ideas:

Amazon.com: Taylor Made Products Hook and Loop Boat Fender Strap (Pair) (36 - Inch): Sports & Outdoors

HARDLINE PRODUCTS\ EZ-Adjuster Fender Hangers at West Marine

TAYLOR No-Knot Fender Hanger at West Marine

Loop Cleats

Tidy-Ups™ Fender Adjuster Kits - iboats.com
Old 05-18-2011
美国华人, 帆船 教授及输送

rockDAWG is on a distinguished road
A few years ago, I was searching for a better solution just like you. All were just waste the money when the novelty died. I found you can beat a Clove Hitch Knot.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aewgmUeHpuE

Sorry, please don't shoot the messager. This is so easy, even the caveman can do it. It becomes a second nature
capta likes this.

Fine Print:
I am old school. Integrity is to do the right thing even when no one is watching.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-18-2011

Kiltmadoc is on a distinguished road
your point on the clove hitch is well made. If it were up to me alone, I would mostly agree. However: the clove hitch around a life line that's a much smaller diameter slips alot. So, I have been doing 2 1/2 hitches. The problem arises from some of the other people involved: too many variations occur and it makes a mess to untie.

Believe it or not (knot), it took us the whole season to decide that all lines would be flaked instead of coiled from now on. And that a single loop would be backed through the top of the flake to keep it from uncoiling.

This type of discussion would be one of the small disadvantages to co-owning a boat. However, for our purposes, the benefits greatly outweigh the drawbacks.
Old 05-18-2011
Mermaid Hunter

SVAuspicious will become famous soon enough
I'm firmly with RockDAWG on this. There is no substitute for a clove hitch. All the doodads are expensive ways to lose fenders.
beware "cut and paste" sailors.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 05-18-2011

dhays is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiltmadoc View Post
your point on the clove hitch is well made. If it were up to me alone, I would mostly agree. However: the clove hitch around a life line that's a much smaller diameter slips alot. So, I have been doing 2 1/2 hitches. The problem arises from some of the other people involved: too many variations occur and it makes a mess to untie.
A clove hitch is wonderful, quick, easy, cheap, flexible, and my wife doesn't want to use it.

Hence these. They are easy to put on and easy to take off. The fender is easy to adjust as well. They are also very strong. I use two of them on my FenderStep and clip them to the base of the stanchions in the boarding gate.

I picked up a couple at the Seattle boat show and my wife ended up loving them so much that I got enough for all my fenders. It makes the wife very happy, which is turn makes me very happy.

Dave
bxl61 likes this.
S/V Legacy, Catalina 400 MkII, Hull #328
My Blog on
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 05-18-2011

Jaitt is on a distinguished road
Hanging Fenders

Hi,

just regarding the slipping, tie the loops of the clove hitch to the life line either side of a stanchion where the lifeline passes through, low down to reduce leverage.

If you need a fender between stanchions, double up the lines and hang the fender between two stanchions

Works for us..

Old 05-18-2011

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail
Here # 5 for the clove hitch,,,simple is better

(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
Old 05-18-2011
Irrationally Exuberant

arf145 is on a distinguished road
Of course, Kiltmadoc wasn't asking for everyone's favorite hitch for hanging a fender. He explained why a hitch wasn't going to do it for his situation. Hopefully, they'll be some more users of the gizmos to provide some firsthand advice--but those fender clips look pretty good to me.

2000 Beneteau 331
Northern Chesapeake Bay

Ambition is a poor excuse for not having enough sense to be lazy ~ Steven Wright
Old 05-18-2011

poopdeckpappy has a spectacular aura about poopdeckpappy has a spectacular aura about
Davis Fender Tenders II

Works on both 7/8" - 1" SS tubing and Lifelines

Freedom comes when you’re ready to sail away. True freedom comes when you don’t have to return

Cut off from the land that bore us, betrayed by the land we find, where the brightest have gone before us and the dullest remain behind, .......but stand to your glasses, steady,.......tis all we have left to prize, raise a cup to the dead already, hurrah for the next that dies
Old 05-18-2011
Plausible Deniability

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about
If you don't like clove hitches, how about some double-sided velcro? Buy it in 36" long strips in Home Depot, hang the fenders from it. Pull it up over the lifelines and one side sticks to the other, so you can just "stick it" instead of tying a knot at whatever point you want.

Or you could just do the proper seamanlike thing, replace those defective admirals. :-)