Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 05-18-2011

Cruiser2B is on a distinguished road
Asy spinnaker?

A few months back i was looking at buying a new sym spinnaker for my alberg 30 but the owner decided that an A30 assoc member should have it, even though he offered it to me first, he called me after an email.....=A$$HOLE, ok done ranting. Locally there is a Asy spinnaker for sale with shoot...like new, i am interested in now. According to Sailrite the Asy for my boat would be 36luff 33 leech and 18ft. The one locally for sale is 38luff, ?leech and 21ft. is this too big for me to use? I am on the Ches and Already the wind has started to die down, I will not be competing with it, just cruising. If this is too big how close to sailrite demensions should I be?

Thanks SN
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-19-2011

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough
I'm sure you could get it to fly, there is flexibility in the absolute size of an asym. The bigger question is how well it will work. There is more to an asym spinnaker than just the outer dimensions. The placement and depth of the draft and the weight of the cloth will make a big difference too. There are very flat asyms that are designed to allow you more flexibility with your point of sail, and very deep draft that are typically only going to work well deep downwind. There are trade-offs in each cut, so you would want to be sure it was going to perform in the conditions you are hoping to use it. The term, asymetrical spinnaker, applies to maybe a dozen very different sails.

I have found that used asym spinnakers are often hard for the seller to accurately describe and harder for you to know what you are getting.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.

Last edited by Minnewaska; 05-19-2011 at 06:15 AM.
Old 05-19-2011
Chastened

BubbleheadMd will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Yahoo to BubbleheadMd
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruiser2B View Post
A few months back i was looking at buying a new sym spinnaker for my alberg 30 but the owner decided that an A30 assoc member should have it, even though he offered it to me first, he called me after an email.....=A$$HOLE, ok done ranting. Locally there is a Asy spinnaker for sale with shoot...like new, i am interested in now. According to Sailrite the Asy for my boat would be 36luff 33 leech and 18ft. The one locally for sale is 38luff, ?leech and 21ft. is this too big for me to use? I am on the Ches and Already the wind has started to die down, I will not be competing with it, just cruising. If this is too big how close to sailrite demensions should I be?

Thanks SN
Dude, if you're on the Chesapeake you should contact Bacon Sails. They have a large selection of good, used sails. They have a search engine. Plug your boat in, select Assym and see what they have in stock.

No affiliation, just a satisfied customer. I got my asymm there. It's a slightly small chute that has been great for learning with.
1973 Pearson 30 #255
Old 05-19-2011

Cruiser2B is on a distinguished road
thanks for the replies, i think i found both a sym and and aym spinnaker specific for A30. I think i am going to get the Asy. I wish I had the money for both.
Old 05-19-2011

blt2ski will become famous soon enough
You can fly an AS like a sy spin, but NOT as easy the other way around. I've been flying an AS with a pole for some deep down wind running, seems to be working as well as those with Sym spins frankly. You attach the pole at the tack, pull to the non main sail side of the boat, which allows deeper andgles down wind, and still keep you speed up as the AS will not be blanketed by the main. try it you might like it!

marty
Old 05-19-2011

donlofland is on a distinguished road
My Catalina came rigged for flying a sym spinaker, but since I'd never flown one, I though about gettting it cut to assym.

Then the sailmaker talked me into giving it a try as is-sym. I'm really glad I did. It's fun!

If your boat has all the rigging for sym, I'd say give it a try...I used on-line instruction and very light air for learning.
Old 05-19-2011

Waltthesalt is on a distinguished road
Concur with going to Bacon. Check out thier website. It has the formulas to calculate the spinnaker dimmensions. It it also has the dimmensions for your class boat. You can check the inventory on-line. Google used sails there are other brokers that you can check as well. Usually assymetricals show up in the mid to late fall and get snapped up quickly.
Cal-29
Old 06-02-2011
Move over Joan Rivers!

deniseO30 will become famous soon enough deniseO30 will become famous soon enough
Thought I'd restart this thread.

Today, I finally opened the spinnaker bag that came with my boat. Apparently it's Asym, the leech is definitely longer then the tack or luff. I'll do some measuring soon. I already feel less intimidated to give it hoisting someday. Do I really need a sock for it? asym 101 for me!

my current "project"!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 06-02-2011
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by deniseO30 View Post
Thought I'd restart this thread.

Today, I finally opened the spinnaker bag that came with my boat. Apparently it's Asym, .... Do I really need a sock for it? asym 101 for me!
Denise.. the sock makes dousing and setting much more straightforward esp shorthanded, but it does add some rigging and complexity that can itself go wrong at times.

Not essential, we don't use one, but we have quite a few years of spinn flying in challenging conditions behind us. As a beginner it will be a stress reducer as long as it's properly rigged .. I'm assuming there isn't one now? A sailmaker should be able to retrofit and demonstrate its use.

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Old 06-02-2011

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough
No, you don't need a sock, but you are going to want one. Without it, you will undoubtedly drop the sail in the drink eventually, which is a PIA to dry out. Its probably the biggest sail on the boat and light enough to get blown around easily as you try to douse it on the foredeck. The sock will also make dousing much faster, in the event you are overpowering it.

If it came with the boat, I assume it has a tack, sheets and a halyard already?

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.