Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 05-19-2011

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough
Wiring a galvanic isolator

I have Glendinning cables which come in the transom and connect to a dedicated circuit breaker box in the lazarette. From there, the power goes to the main panel at the nav station. I am going to add an isolator before the breaker box. My thought is to open the box, remove the ground and add a piece of 10g green ground wire to exit the box, run to the isolator and then another from the isolator to return to the box and reconnect to the breaker post. This would keep me from having to open the shielding around the current cables that are nicely run into the back of the breaker box.

In order to do this, I would have to splice the extension onto the end of the existing cable inside the breaker box. I would use proper marine grade connectors, but I've always thought that splicing 110v wires was a bad idea.

Any thoughts or alternatives?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 05-19-2011
Learning the HARD way...

eherlihy will become famous soon enough
You are likely to need to make two splices in the ground wire to make the connection to the Galvanic Isolator. One to go from the box to the GI, and one from the GI to box.

If it were my boat, I would find a spot to mount the GI somewhere convenient in the lazerette. I would then cut about a foot of the outer jacket (there is no shielding) off of the power cable between the shore power connector and the breaker box, cut the ground wire in the middle of where you removed the outer jacket, crimp two appropriately sized lugs onto the ground wire, and button it up. Actually, this is what I did!

I found a spot in the lazerette that is above the hatch, so it is unlikely to get very wet, unless I capsize. In which case I'll be dealing with other issues...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

USCG Licensed OUPV Captain, ASA 101/103/104/105 Certified Instructor - Also certified in Recreational Marine Electrical Systems
Old 05-19-2011

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough
The return wire from the GI would not really need a splice, it would go from the GI directly to the breaker directly. If I open the jacket, I was concerned that there wouldn't be enough length to reach the GI in its only available mounting location.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 05-19-2011
Plausible Deniability

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about
m-
I'm not at all sure of the spacing on your boat, but I would suggest disconecting the shore power form the breaker box. Install a new junction box, or a larger box, and then run the shore cable wires to the isolator, adding a new piece of wire (possibly cut from the one you have, if that works out long enough) to tie the new box back to the existing breakers.

In AC electrical work, and most land-based codes, you don't run splices in the AC wiring. Everything is joined inside boxes, and only continuous wire runs go from box to box. I have no idea what marine codes call for but would expect the same underlying logic to apply.

Either a new water-tight box, or a larger one for the breakers.

A conventional landlubberly electrical supply house actually SHOULD have waterproof boxes, they would be referred to as "explosion safe/proof" or "BOM" Bureau of Mines /DOT certified for use in explosive atmospheres (i.e. around gasoline and methane) if you can't find plain old fashioned "exterior" waterproof ones. Waterproof/exterior stuff usually isn't quite as waterPROOF.
Old 05-19-2011

tommays will become famous soon enough
On land it would be NEMA 4 Water Tight & Dust Tight - Indoors/Outdoors

Or NEMA 4x Water Tight, Dust Tight, & Corrosion Resistant - Indoors/Outdoors

Lot of nice plastic ones at good prices as you dont want to know what a SS one cost

The explosive deal is a whole nother deal and much stricter on land

1981 J24 Tangent 2930
Tommays
Northport NY

If a dirty bottom slows you down what do you think it does to your boat
Old 05-19-2011
Learning the HARD way...

eherlihy will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnewaska View Post
The return wire from the GI would not really need a splice, it would go from the GI directly to the breaker directly. If I open the jacket, I was concerned that there wouldn't be enough length to reach the GI in its only available mounting location.
Why not run new wire of adequate length? 8/3 (which is what I have for the connection between my shore power inlet, and the breaker panel) is $2.64/ft here (shipping included). You might need 20', which would be $53...

The GI probably cost you $200.

Also, if you choose to do it the way I suggest, seal the ends of the outer jacket where you cut into it for the GI. Try to keep moisture from wicking up the strain relief (which is usually twine). I used rubber splicing tape to do this, but silicone would probably be OK.
Old 05-22-2011

TejasSailer is on a distinguished road
Here's a post with pictures of an installation.

Installing a galvanic isolator - Yachting and Boating World Forums

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.