Join Date: May 2011
Location: Portland, OR
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rep Power: 0
Really appreciate all the input on this topic!
So I read all of your comments, and then went around town yesterday and had some "experts" take a look at it. The general consensus was: I hadn't ruined anything except for the fairness (thank god); that I probably don't need to get rid of the paint if it is putting up that much of a fight, and that the top layer is probably not paint, but actually an old gelcoat; and that I can keep doing it the way that I am, but I am probably creating a lot more work for myself than is necessary.
I also took a few rags soaked in the paint's solvent (interlux 333n) and taped them to the different layers that I had exposed. This was suggested in Don Casey's book to test if they needed removal. They all did fine except for a very thin layer right before the glass. That concerns me a bit, but at the same time, I haven't had any issues with the topcoat flaking--the problem is just that it is in bad condition and has been rubbed through in spots.
I also spread some fairing compound (west systems 410) over the area that I had already taken to the glass, and I built myself a longboard sander last night covered in adhesive 3M 100grit imperial. So I am going to test that today and see how much work it really is for me to fair it to a point that I am happy with. My plan of action at this point is to take any real problem areas that I see down to the glass and then fair them back, and just prep the rest with 80-grit. Then, as bljones said: [if it is] THAT hard to get off, then it's not like you have to worry about it peeling off, so use it as your substrate." So then, two coasts of interlux primekote and eventually painting.
If I have a change of heart, I think stripper is my plan B.
Last edited by harraik; 05-23-2011 at 02:55 PM.