SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Port Hole Replacement

4K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  abode 
#1 ·
One of the projects I am working on for my boat is replacing two of my port holes in the main cabin. I want to replace them with ones that can open up to allow for increased circulation.
However, I have six port holes in all and was only contemplating changing the two until I did some reading.
With plans of making some carribean runs in the n ear future I want to ask how I can test the strength of my current portholes and how do I know if they are too weak strcutually to handle offshore passages? Boat is a 1979 AMF Paceship with orignal ports. All input appreciated.

#2 ·
I am finishing this project up on my boat now. I will put in a recommendation for new found metal portholes. Competent people and a very nice product. No association with the company, just a satisfied customer.

I'm just tossing out an idea here. No real experience.
Once you replace the first two you could rig up a test with them. Reinstall them in a fake cabin side & abuse them until they break. Dropping a bag of sand of know weight on them would be a good start. IIRC Salt water weighs 68 pounds per cubic foot. I'm sure someone knows how to figure the force of impact for a given height on the drop.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.