Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 05-25-2011

ssmith5250 is on a distinguished road
Install of Flue Pipe and Cap for Heater

I am getting ready to install a Newport P9000 heater and this requires drilling a 3 inch deck hole for the flue, and then screwing on a cap, on top of the deck, that the flue pipe slides into. My boat is a PSC Flicka and I suspect that it has 1/4 inch fiberglass, then 1" marine plywood and then 1/4 inch fiberglass type construction. So, I will need to seal the wood core with epoxy prior to installing the cap.

I have two questions and hope that someone has already been through this and figured it out:

1) Will epoxy hold up OK in this application next to a warm flue pipe? Granted, the flue pipe diameter is 2 and 1/2 inches and the hole is 3", and the outer flue is for intake of cool air, with a smaller diameter hot exhaust pipe in the middle, but still, it might get a bit warm anyway. I looked up West Systems Epoxy and the 105/205 combination had a Tg (glass transition) at 142 degrees. I doubt it will get that hot, but who knows? Has anyone done this install with epoxy and if so, is it holding up OK?

2) The deck cap comes with a rubber gasket, but I want to use some sealer in addition to keep out water. Silicone would work here, but ultimately is not a great adhesive. So, I was thinking of using some Life Seal which is 1/2 silicone and 1/2 polyurethane to coat this gasket with prior to install. It is going over a nonskid rough surface, so some type of sealer is imperative here. Any ideas of what would work with a rubber gasket?

thanks for any help here. Steve
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 05-25-2011

catamount is on a distinguished road
In my experience the LifeSeal and the epoxy should both work fine.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
, a new voice for ocean conservation
Old 05-25-2011

pdqaltair is on a distinguished road
1. Epoxies do lose some rigidity at warmer temperatures, but that does not indicate a failure. The Tg is more of a laboratory transition in the stiffness curve than something that you will notice through casual observation. Most epoxies do not begin to have real long-term durability problems until over 300F.

2. The outer pipe on the P9000 does not get very hot, perhaps 150F. Additionally, if you drill the holes just a bit oversize, there is no reason that surface has to touch the hull. There is a trim ring, inside and outside.

3. I used silicone a few years ago (non-skid) and seems fine. True, silicone isn't much of an adhesive, but I wanted to be certain I could peal it off. I'm sure most sealants would be fine. I would not use butyl because of the heat.

4. Install a wind guard. Otherwise, the sheets will catch under the cover and strong gust or green water can cause trouble. They make one, or you can make your own.

I installed one of the these a few years ago posted the details here:
Sail Delmarva: Let There be Heat!

"Well, I just climb up to them."

by Joe Brown, English rock climber

Old 05-25-2011

Thanks for the great responses. The web site link was very helpful in addition. I have decided to go ahead and seal the flue cap and rubber gasket with a high temperature silicone sealer made by Permatex. It is supposed to be good to 500 degree F, not that it should get anywhere near that hot.

One final but important detail: All silicone manufacturers recommend tightening down the deck hardware lightly, just to where the silicone squeezes out a bit on the sides, then waiting one hour for a final tightening. Will this last tightening effect the water proofness of the 6 hold down screws by breaking the silicone adhesion to the screw, or is it still pliable enough at that stage to set up tight? Or should I bed the screws using something else like 4200, one at a time, after that hour is up? I know this is a picky question, but I really want to avoid any later deck delamnination problems

Thanks again for any wisdom here..
Old 05-25-2011

mitiempo will become famous soon enough mitiempo will become famous soon enough
I think when they refer to re-tightening after one hour they mean tightening the nuts while not moving the bolt itself. If you are using screws I would skip that part because of the risk of breaking the seal around them.

High heat bedding is not really required. If there was much heat where it meets the deck there would be a problem. The air intake surrounding the exhaust will keep it cooler. As well the fitting is stainless which is not good at heat transfer.
Old 05-25-2011

pdqaltair is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by mitiempo View Post
I think when they refer to re-tightening after one hour they mean tightening the nuts while not moving the bolt itself. If you are using screws I would skip that part because of the risk of breaking the seal around them.

High heat bedding is not really required. If there was much heat where it meets the deck there would be a problem. The air intake surrounding the exhaust will keep it cooler. As well the fitting is stainless which is not good at heat transfer.
a. Yeah, I think the conventional wisdom now is to skip the retightening if the bolts or screws are also being sealed.

b. You can place you hand on the flashing while running the heater. Not hot.

"Well, I just climb up to them."

by Joe Brown, English rock climber

Old 05-26-2011

Thanks for the great info.

The deck cap is secured by six screws so I will not re-tighten it.

Since heat should not be a problem, I think I will go with either 3M 4000 UV or 4200 as the adhesive/sealant. I have used these in the past with good results. That Black Permatex can be a real bear to use, especially on a white deck.

Appreciate the insights.
Old 05-26-2011

mitiempo will become famous soon enough mitiempo will become famous soon enough
Yes, stay away from any black bedding.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.