SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Diesel Fuel Tank Support Straps

2K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  mitiempo 
#1 ·
Hi,

Yet another question for the experts out there... I have a 34 year old boat, and I'm not really sure whether the fuel tank mounting system is still considered a "good" or "acceptable" practice. But since I'm taking it the tank for instpection this weekend, now is the time to find out how it OUGHT to be done. And fix whatever needs fixing.

Under my cockpit sole are two 2x4s which have been glassed into the sole. They appear to be structurally sound. There are metal brackets mounted to the outsides of these 2x4s which have a sort of a D-ring shaped end. The fuel tank (12 gallon) is then strapped to the 2x4s with nylon webbing ~ 1" wide. I believe the straps are knotted on one side. The assembly appears reasonably rigid to me.

Questions:
  1. Is this still considered an acceptable method for securing a suspended fuel tank?
  2. Is there a better way to attach the strapping than a knot? Some kind of bracket / buckle?

Just wondered if there is some ABYC code I need to be aware of, or some special consideration for strapping? Or even an "Oh My God, you have WHAT holding up your tank?!?!?"

As always, thanks in advance!

-Chris

See less See more
#2 ·
Chris

I don't think there is anything wrong with the straps. Mine were solid after 34 years as well. But when I had a new stainless tank made last year I had 2 uprights welded to the top and bolted it to the fore and aft 2 x 4's. This is the only pic I can find.

Attachments

#4 ·
I don't think there is anything wrong with the straps. Mine were solid after 34 years as well. But when I had a new stainless tank made last year I had 2 uprights welded to the top and bolted it to the fore and aft 2 x 4's. This is the only pic I can find.
Thanks Brian. That pic says it all - I like that design much better than my current one. That being said, I don't think there's anything wrong with my current tank so I'm not planning to replace it yet. Plenty of other stuff that needed replacement!

Glad to hear the strapping is acceptable... I really didn't want to have another thing to engineer right now. I was supposed to launch this weekend, but I'm about 3-4 weeks behind schedule due to weather and the bow hatch fiberglass work. $#%!@##!

I drained the fuel during the week, so today I'm going to bring out an inspection flashlight and see if I can determine whether or not I need to de-sludge it, and what I'll need to do to get an electronic sender mounted.

#5 ·
Jim

The bare wire is from the sender - not yet connected. The line is one of several holding the tank as it is just going in.

Chris

I had no choice - my tank was almost rusted through from a leaking fill in the cockpit sole - now it is on the side deck and raised a bit so water can't pool around it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.