Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-01-2011
Senior Pirate

TropicCat is on a distinguished road
I own a boat with 2 Yanmars and would like to suggest something no one else has mentioned.

My engines are very sensitive when using old diesel fuel. In fact it causes the symptom you mention. I would suggest a cheap fix by tossing a couple of gallons of new diesel in the tank and add a stabilizer. I use 2 stabilizers.

Stabil to extend the fuel life and Diesel Clean to add the lubosity lost in our low sulfur diesel fuel at the pumps these days.

It can't hurt.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-01-2011

sandycohen is on a distinguished road
Hi TropicCat - Thanks for the input. Unfortunately I can report that I put about 5 gallons of new, marina grade diesel in with an additive last month, and the tank is only about 20 gallons so that's a pretty good share.
Old 06-02-2011
Senior Slacker

SlowButSteady is on a distinguished road
Tropic Cat may still be on the right track. Diesel fuel will polymerize as it ages. This makes it burn more slowly and often results in incomplete combustion (basically, the longer the molecular chains the slower a hydrocarbon will burn). Adding some new diesel will help, but if there is enough really old fuel in the tank the soot could be a result of this incomplete combustion of old diesel. Microbial growth in the tank will make things even worse.

I would take a look at a sample of the fuel from the tank and compare it to some fresh diesel. If the difference in clarity is dramatic (as in, one look makes you wonder how the engine ran at all), replacing ALL the fuel and cleaning the tank may be in order.
Charlotte Bacon, Daniel Barden, Rachel Davino, Olivia Josephine Gay, Ana M. Marquez-Greene, Dylan Hockley, Dawn Hochsprung, Madeleine F. Hsu, Catherine V. Hubbard, Chase Kowalski, Jesse Lewis, James Mattioli , Grace McDonnell, Anne Marie Murphy, Emilie Parker, Jack Pinto, Noah Pozner, Caroline Previdi, Jessica Rekos, Avielle Richman, Lauren Rousseau, Mary Sherlach, Victoria Soto, Benjamin Wheeler, Allison N. Wyatt
Old 05-05-2014

deniswithane is on a distinguished road
Re: Ink black exhaust water - soot?

Hi, I'm new here and also have black soot coming out of the one engine exhaust with bubbles on the water when running under load 1500 on the mooring and not in neautral. So, it is felt that this is the pitch of the prop? Could well be as I have a re-built prop on that sail drive. The engine has been standing for a quite (4 months) a VP MD2030D with a warranty repair breakdown on the new sail drive, so I will take her out for a run and see if it clears, otherwise look at the prop. My other engine runs clean exhaust and they both share the same fuel tank, which makes me think it is not the dreaded diesel bug! Thanks Denise

Last edited by deniswithane; 05-05-2014 at 01:04 PM.
Old 05-05-2014

gamayun is on a distinguished road

It's easy enough to check your exhaust elbow first and see if it's plugged. I started having those symptoms of soot on the water with the engine also bogging down. The elbow was almost completely plugged. They're good for 5-8 years. The manual says that running the engine at higher RPM under load helps to burn off this soot so it doesn't build up as much.
christian.hess likes this.
Old 05-05-2014
new dad!

christian.hess is on a distinguished road

load it up and clean the exhaust system(elbow), manifold...

always have some sort of stabilizer in the diesel if not used frequently

almost all the time this is caused by clogged exhaust systems...

you will also notice a nice drop in running temps too...as an added bonus

Old 05-05-2014

Thanks, elbows are new so will be OK. Going to clean exhuast pipes and mannifold. Checked tanks and Raycors, all smells OK - always use additive for dreaded diesel bug in hot climate. Thinking it could be prop pitch related so will swop prop in water Wed and see if that works as I am sure somebody put on a diff prop at some time!

Last edited by deniswithane; 05-05-2014 at 02:52 PM.
Old 05-05-2014

Elbows new, will check pipes - only 725 hours on this engine and running very cool in hot water of the Carib.
Old 05-08-2014

I am so happy

As I have sorted out my problem on the one engine that the mech said was burnt out oil rings, etc. !!!!

I took off the prop on this port engine (which was a spare as such but was supposed to be identical to both the originals!) and put the old original re-painted one back on and HEY PRESTO, NO MORE BLACK SOOT under load!

So it was the prop pitch after all.

Thank you so much to everyone who pointed me in the correct direction - I have just joined this forum and what amazing feedback I got from all of you, without your input I would never have realised that and would have wasted good money on a mech who did not know much more than me !

Thanks again
Denise
Old 05-08-2014
new dad!

christian.hess is on a distinguished road

darn must of been quite the difference in pitch...

congrats!