Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 05-29-2011

GaiaOrion is on a distinguished road
Engine mounts

Hey guys,
my rear engine mounts (yanmar 12SB), Ontario 28... seem to be quite high, one top stud is recesed in the bolt. and the opposite (front left) the rubber is degraded probably due to oil drips...

should I can I tighten them, would that change the pitch too much for the stuffing box etc...

also, what are your thought s on removing the engine, changing the rubber mount and repairing anything else under there ( the muffler is loose on its mount too..... all while in the water ??? or should I wait util the fall ?

Any help appreciated.

M.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 05-29-2011

sawingknots is on a distinguished road
you can try tightening them but usually they are too rusty after you will need to realign the engine,use feeler gadges beween the couplings,i think you can also put on new ones by unbolting the coupling then jack up the engine,you my need to unbolt the brackets that the mount studs go through,hard but doable,the muffler can maybe be tightened by using slightly larger screws
Old 05-29-2011
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about
Nothing should be adjusted without redoing/rechecking the alignment too. It sounds like a couple of mounts are in rough shape and should be renewed.

If you have a conventional stuffing box then removing the engine and tranny in the water is no big deal, esp if you're able to use the boom and tackle as a hoist. We've done it a couple of times.

If you have a dripless (PSS) style seal than you need to worry about that - once the engine and gear are removed there's no pressure on the seal and bellows anymore....

It does sound like a Re & Re might not be a bad idea, you could tend to these issues, give the works a good clean up, and maybe change some seals and gaskets while you're at it.

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Old 05-29-2011

Waltthesalt is on a distinguished road
From what you say it looks like when your engine was last installed the mount feet weren’t properly shimmed. Basically the engine should ride in the middle or lower part of the stud that comes off the mount. If, to align it, the engine is on the top of the mount’s stud you put some material under the feet of the mount to raise it up so the engine rides lower on the stud.
If you’re engine is running smoothly there’s no urgency to correcting this. Give it’s the beginning of the summer I’d wait. You never know what rats will crawl out of the woodpile when you start taking your engine apart.
I’d be concerned about and fix the exhaust system issue . The exhaust hoses should take up the vibration and the mounts should be secure. A hose failure and the leaking of CO and water into the boat is a big problem.
It’s not too likely that the other mount is too low because of degraded rubber. It’s probably low because that’s where it had to be on the stud to align the engine to the shaft. The engine lets you know when the mount’s rubber deteriorates to the point they need to be replaced. Usually mounts only get changed out when doing a major engine overhaul or replacement. They just don’t wear out.
If the nuts are loose, tighten the upper ones. Since the engine rides on the lower ones this won’t affect the alignment. If you change the position of the lower nuts you’ll have to realign the engine.
Pulling an engine or jacking it up to replace the mounts waterborne shouldn’t be a problem. I’ve done it ok. In fact it’s preferable to align the engine to the shaft waterborne as the hull flex is different when the boat’s out of the water. If you’re disconnecting the shaft from its flange waterborne you need some hose clamps on the shaft so it doesn’t slide out the stern tube by mistake
Engine alignment takes preparation and a lot of patience. Read up on it beforehand. Too much to address here. You may want to talk to a marine mechanic about shimming and aligning the engine if its not running smoothly.
Cal-29
Old 05-30-2011
Irrationally Exuberant

arf145 is on a distinguished road
Sounds like those mounts need to be replaced. Don't know why the boat shouldn't remain in the water--and as someone else said, that's where you're going to need to do the realignment. We replaced the two forward mounts on our 2GM20 with the boat in the water--used a screw-type car jack to lift the engine just enough to slide new mounts under--engine detached from the shaft, of course.

2000 Beneteau 331
Northern Chesapeake Bay

Ambition is a poor excuse for not having enough sense to be lazy ~ Steven Wright
Old 06-01-2011
Senior Pirate

TropicCat is on a distinguished road
I've pulled both my Yanmars and replaced the mounts while the boat was in the water.

I don't know the difficulties of doing this in your boat. In my case I used my boom to lift them out.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 06-05-2011
Break, curse, fix, repeat

bwindrope is on a distinguished road
I'll just share that I replaced the mounts on my Universal M40 last year and it was one of the best things I've ever done. Pretty easy. I have a PSS seal and that was no problem either. In the water, used 4X4 over compainionway and a come-along. While up, I was finally able to really clean under the engine and tighten the bolt on my sump hose so it would stop leaking.

Hardest thing is getting the clearance to within specs on the flanges. Adjust, lower, check. Raise, adjust, lower, check. Repeat a few times. Really reduced vibration in my boat, and now a year later my cutlass bearing is still like new in terms of play. So the alignment held.

Good luck with yours. Nothing to be too alarmed about. Calder has good descriptions.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.