SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Gear & Maintenance (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance/)
-   -   The Jabsco Macerator... a ticking bomb of nastyness (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance/74924-jabsco-macerator-ticking-bomb-nastyness.html)

n0w0rries 05-31-2011 09:17 PM

The Jabsco Macerator... a ticking bomb of nastyness

I had the joy of dealing with a failing jabsco macerator this last weekend.

I wish I could get the addresses of the guys who designed it, so I could send it back to them in all it's stinking foul glory.

The thing is held together by 4 screws that corrode... not sure if it's the salt, or electrolysis, but when they fail it comes apart and you get black water in the bilge.

I had to cut it out and jam a plug in the hose, while 1 1/2 inches of nastyness flowed into the bilge. (either get it over with all at once or let it slowly drain!)

I used the thru-hull as a sweetening ****... flooding the bilge and then pumping it out... until it was clean.

I'm still suffering from post-traumatic stress from the whole incident. I ordered a shurflo macerator today... but I'm not sure if I'll be able to face the horror of replacing those hoses (might as well while I'm in there) and installing the new macerator.

If you have a jabsco macerator on your boat... it's just a matter of time until it fails. It will probably be on a major holiday weekend or your birthday weekend (or both as in my case)

arf145 05-31-2011 09:34 PM

Happy Birthday, NoWorries! I guess that'll be one you won't forget--or maybe you can, with a series of applications of alcohol. Good luck with the new macerator.

capttb 05-31-2011 10:20 PM

I had a 1 year old pump shear just one of those cheesy long screws, made for a stinky hidden leak that could only be found after pump removal. Probably choked itself on a piece of TP stronger than the metal of the screw.

tomperanteau 06-01-2011 12:18 AM

Great. I recently installed a Jabsco macerator. Now I have something to look forward to on my next birthday.

MARC2012 06-01-2011 05:19 AM

Been there done that,NO FUN.Correct on poor design/quality.My bday is soon,hope I don't get a present like that.marc

erps 06-01-2011 08:38 AM

I did not know about the weak screws, but I had so much fun replacing the impeller that when I remounted it, I moved the mounting location higher (above the low black water line) and installed a turn off valve between the pump and the tank. Then I bought a second pump and have it on standby to make the next swap out a lot quicker. Ain't boating great!?

windward54 06-01-2011 08:51 AM

They are really bad. What I think happens is the screws vibrate loose a little and the waste corrodes the screws. I had one eat away in just a few months. I called Jabsco and complained and they sent me new screws. Good news is the new boat didn't have Jabsco macerators. About the only thing that made the screws last was to flush with fresh water often.

arf145 06-01-2011 11:51 AM

So this phenomenon is the "Jabsco Surprise Party", then? :D

capttb 06-01-2011 12:28 PM

And the timing is always perfect, I discovered mine on a Sunday morning in Avalon after a 4 day stay. Looked in the bilge and found the flourescent green dye they put in your tank on arrival. I temporarily disabled the bilge pump, told the admiral no time for the shoreside breakfast, unhooked and beat feet out of there. If you spill a drop there they ban you for life.
I was sure the tank must be leaking because I'd just replaced the pump, mine didn't have time to corrode, darn thing snapped at the threads where they enter the pump body.

Silvio 06-01-2011 01:35 PM

Happy Birthday nOwOrries!!
I am sorry to inform you that I will be unable to attend the planned birthday festivities aboard your boat...um, my grandmother just died, again...Hope the PTSD passes soon.

Cheers!