SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Gear & Maintenance (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance/)
-   -   Raymarine Autohelm/Pilot ST4000 (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance/74969-raymarine-autohelm-pilot-st4000.html)

DrB 06-02-2011 12:55 PM

Raymarine Autohelm/Pilot ST4000

The motor on my Raymarine ST4000 is shot. Raymarine does not have this motor in stock any more nor will they make anymore. So several questions:
  1. Will a "newer" motor work? And if so what is the new part number?
  2. If a "newer" motor will not work, does anyone one know of a source for a motor for this unit? Raymarine part # is N012, retails for $42.00
  3. When I called Raymarine, their options were to buy a new wheel assemble ($600 ish) or try to find someone with NOS of the original motor. Anyone have other ideas?

I looked on eBay already.

DrB

PalmettoSailor 06-02-2011 01:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DrB (Post 736617)
The motor on my Raymarine ST4000 is shot. Raymarine does not have this motor in stock any more nor will they make anymore. So several questions:
  1. Will a "newer" motor work? And if so what is the new part number?
  2. If a "newer" motor will not work, does anyone one know of a source for a motor for this unit? Raymarine part # is N012, retails for $42.00
  3. When I called Raymarine, their options were to buy a new wheel assemble ($600 ish) or try to find someone with NOS of the original motor. Anyone have other ideas?

I looked on eBay already.

DrB

Look on eBay again and find a seller called Kodiakjack99. Contact him and ask if he has the part you need. He purchased a stock of NOS Autohelm stuff and only advertises a portion of what he has available on Ebay.

No relation other than a satisfied customer. He supplied me with a replacement receptical for my AH4000 when a guest accidently snapped mine off, and just recently (still sitting in the box at home) a replacement "brain" for my 4000. Neither item was listed on ebay.

I found out about him through an ealier post here on SN and he has been very accomodating and helpful.

Good Luck.

Faster 06-02-2011 01:39 PM

That's a nice bit of info, midlife.... great!

Quote:

Originally Posted by midlifesailor (Post 736621)
Look on eBay again and find a seller called Kodiakjack99. Contact him and ask if he has the part you need. He purchased a stock of NOS Autohelm stuff and only advertises a portion of what he has available on Ebay.

No relation other than a satisfied customer. He supplied me with a replacement receptical for my AH4000 when a guest accidently snapped mine off, and just recently (still sitting in the box at home) a replacement "brain" for my 4000. Neither item was listed on ebay.

I found out about him through an ealier post here on SN and he has been very accomodating and helpful.

Good Luck.

DrB 06-02-2011 02:26 PM

Not only is it a nice piece of info

Quote:

Originally Posted by Faster (Post 736629)
That's a nice bit of info, midlife.... great!

it paid off.

I contacted the person that midlifesailor suggested. Not only has he already emailed me back, he had the part and slightly less than retail!

Nice post midlife and thanks.

DrB

funjohnson 06-02-2011 02:50 PM

I'm happy to see the lead paid off. I too have purchased from him in the past. Very nice and professional!

PalmettoSailor 06-02-2011 06:46 PM

Glad it worked out.

I eventually hope to upgrade my autopilot but its sure good to have a place to turn while I keep the existing one on life support.

n0w0rries 06-03-2011 11:13 AM

How much did you pay? I've got one I need to put on ebay... but I keep putting it off... need to get it out of the house.

Thyme 12-12-2011 10:05 PM

autopilot interest

Hi noworries,

Did you get around to selling your autopilot? If not perhaps you will sell it to me?
Thanks, Thyme

Ingramport sailor 01-28-2012 01:45 PM

autopilot query

Hi fellowsailers

This is my first post I just joined up today and my wife and I are planning to do a lot more coastal cruising around Nova Scotia and therefore need a reliable 3rd helmsman called auto.

We have a 37 oday center cockpit and our autohelm 3000 analog compass takes a surgeons hands to set up an often it goes off wandering within the hour.I need to get a user friendly autohelm within my limited budget and I like what I read about the autohelm st3000 and st4000 with push button controls. My boat loaded weighs16000 lbs and I am looking for advice as to what is my best choice for a secondhand autohelm? Does anyone have a good working used autohelm that will handle my 37 cc Oday. If not what is recommended for a new autohelm giving the best bang for the buck. I do want to do it right.

Appreciate your feedback
Ingramport sailor

CaptainDan99 01-28-2012 05:03 PM

If your motor is good, why not switch out the control head with a ST3000.