Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 06-04-2011

brownlie88 is on a distinguished road
Waterproofing inside a wooden hull / Name this boat

G'day all
I've recently purchased a 'fixer upper' a 28ft yacht, im not entirely sure what it is, i'll post pics and maybe someone can say.

However my first job is to waterproof the hull, currently it is completely empty and its taking on water, about an inch per day. What I want to do is paint the entire inside of the hull with something to make it waterproof, however.. I cant take the boat out of the water, so the wood I will be painting/waterproofing will be a little damp.

I'm wondering if tar would be an option or if there is an epoxy that could dry and seal in these conditions.

Any help would be great, thanks
Attached Thumbnails
Waterproofing inside a wooden hull / Name this boat-img_0387.jpg   Waterproofing inside a wooden hull / Name this boat-img_0388.jpg   Waterproofing inside a wooden hull / Name this boat-img_0393.jpg   Waterproofing inside a wooden hull / Name this boat-img_0390.jpg  
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-04-2011
Move over Joan Rivers!

deniseO30 will become famous soon enough deniseO30 will become famous soon enough
Well, I would highly recommend you join the wooden boat forum! To answer your question I need to ask. Was she in the water when you bought it? If she were on land for a long time it would be dry. Most all old and traditionally built boats that have not had re-caulking of the plank seams will will leak. Tar (or things like) was used for centuries past before hi tech compounds were invented.

Epoxy sheathing, cold planking and other methods of making the hull waterproof can only be done on a boat that has been dried out completely. And have to be done on the outside. If you can't take her out of the water you may have a big problem since there isn't anything that will stick to wet wood.

Good luck!

my current "project"!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by deniseO30; 06-04-2011 at 08:59 AM.
Old 06-04-2011

mitiempo will become famous soon enough mitiempo will become famous soon enough
Nothing applied inside will solve your problem. Any coating will have to be on the outside. Best idea is to haul and investigate the reason for the water, then fix it properly. Possible caulking.
Old 06-04-2011

celenoglu is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by mitiempo View Post
Nothing applied inside will solve your problem. Any coating will have to be on the outside. Best idea is to haul and investigate the reason for the water, then fix it properly. Possible caulking.
I agree, forget anything on water, take her out.
Old 06-04-2011

brownlie88 is on a distinguished road
Thanks for your replies. Does anyone know what sort of boat this is?
Old 06-04-2011

mitiempo will become famous soon enough mitiempo will become famous soon enough
While fiberglass boats are built in a mold and from a dozen to hundreds are produced they are easy to track design and manufacturer.

Wooden boats are built one at a time, by professionals as well as amateurs. They are often one of a kind. Many times plans are modified by the builders. Because of this they are very hard to track designer and builder in many cases.

The exception would be a builders plate of some kind. If you knew the builder the designer may be easy to find.
Old 06-05-2011

allene222 is on a distinguished road
Wood boats leak. Mine leaks about a quart an hour and has for the 23 years I have had it. Actually, it used to be more so I am happy with this level. I have a small electric pump that keeps it dry(ish). You do not want to waterproof inside as that will trap moisture in the wood and it will rot. It needs to breath on the inside. You might just have a leak around the prop shaft that can be fixed with an adjustment. On my boat, I can see where the water is coming in so look around. If the boat has been out of the water, it will leak less once it has been in the water for a month.
Old 06-05-2011

allene222 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by brownlie88 View Post
currently it is completely empty and its taking on water, about an inch per day.
An inch a day might be virtually nothing or a significant amount. My sump is about a foot square and if I took on an inch a day I wold be delighted as I get that in an hour. However, if that is an inch over the entire hull, that is a different story. Take a 5 gallon bucket and put an inch of water in the boat and tell us how many buckets (or fraction) it took to get an inch.

Allen