SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Gear & Maintenance (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance/)
-   -   What Fridge ? (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance/75100-what-fridge.html)

Tynesider 06-07-2011 11:07 AM

What Fridge ?

I have a small American Vitrifigo C39 fridge onboard which was purchased by my boats previous owners in 2002.

It generally appears to have 'had it's day' and needs replacing.

I have just been quoted by their UK agents 399.00 + VAT (20% in UK) plus they want another 40 + VAT so I can switch between 12v and 230v totalling 526.00 + delivery.

Just how reliable are these American made Vitrifigo Marine fridges? Is it unreasonable after 9 years to have to replace it, as it is not used 24/7 ? they are not so common in the UK as like the Weaco fridges (which are also not cheap).

However before deciding and shopping around on line it will be interesting to hear from others who have experiance of the reliability of these fridges.

Thanks for your help

Omatako 06-08-2011 04:07 AM

I've never even heard of your fridge make but 8 years in the life of a fridge is generally very short.

The fridge in my boat is now 20 years old and the only reason I am replacing it is because it sucks my batteries dry. I also had a 1989 Bayliner that had a small Engel undercounter fridge that was original, when I sold the boat three years ago the fridge was perfect.

If the life of a new Vitrifigo fridge will give you another 8 years, stay away.

tdw 06-08-2011 06:25 PM

Have to agree with Andre. 12v Fridge on Raven is 20 years old and still going strong. We also have a 20 year old engine driven eutectic that is out of action but only because of a cracked holding plate.

I'd be asking the Vitrifigo people why their product is utter garbage and if they can give you any good reason why you would buy another , which as Andre mentions, is likely to only last another eight years.

mitiempo 06-09-2011 01:49 AM

They look like a good product actually.

Refrigerators and Freezers

A good fridge should last years if it is not abused in some way - chipping ice with a sharp object being one.

Tynesider 06-09-2011 09:32 AM

Thanks guys, you have just confirmed my own thoughts and I will probably go down the Waeco Fridge path.

deniseO30 06-09-2011 09:47 AM

Just about all marine fridges use the Danfoss BD line of compressors. VERY reliable. Have you had the unit even looked at by a professional?

Tynesider 06-09-2011 10:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by deniseO30 (Post 738858)
Just about all marine fridges use the Danfoss BD line of compressors. VERY reliable. Have you had the unit even looked at by a professional?

Hi Denise

The compressor actually works (most of the time) but the fridge is becoming rusty in places and does not look inkeeping with the rest of the boats condition.

I only recently found out accidently they are made in the USA but want to replace it with a 12v/230v Fridge, so I may strip it out and sell the compressor unit off as spares.

In the UK as in many other places if it has 'Marine'on it the price is crazy and for a 39 litre fridge unit I will not get much change out of 600.

Many thanks for your help

tdw 06-09-2011 06:10 PM

Ah ... so its really just a matter of the looks of the thing rather than actual working condition. Not knowing its history perhaps I/we have been a bit harsh in our criticism of Vitrifigo. You have any pics TynerSider ?

turbulicity 06-09-2011 06:17 PM

I have recently installed this one:

Coolmatic Cooling Kit

* No affiliation with seller.

I think this is in your price range, will work with 120V AC or 12 DC (They maybe selling 230 V models in UK) and will perform very well for your fridge size. It is a single unit and easy to install if you have enough flat space on one side of your fridge.

CaptainForce 06-09-2011 06:55 PM

We bought a Technautics "cool blue" in the early 1990's and it's given us constant liveaboard use since that time. I noticed a decrease in freezing temps this week and saw air bubbles in the sight glass. I added more coolant and it's back to top performance. I have to agree with the advice above about the good performance of the 12V air cooled Danfloss compressors. Take care and joy, Aythya crew