Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 06-10-2011

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by SEMIJim View Post
Lessee... I've been a member of three sailing-specific forums, one powerboat-specific forum and one local area boating forum for several years, plus joined another three sailing-specific forums over the last two-three months, and this is the first I've heard of it.
Compared to the aviation and auto gps industries, we will suffer the smallest impact by far. It's loud and clear in those. You drop my gps signal while I'm pointed at the ground doing 150kts on approach to the runway, and I'll have a ton more problems than in a sailboat.

Quote:
I have yet to have made any case at all (save the general case of government ineptitude and corruptness, which is pretty much self-evident). But, given what I've seen out of U.S. government agencies these last few years (pick one--any one), I've little doubt as to what I'll find if I spend the time digging.

Jim
I reread your post and did take your comments to be more specific to this issue than written. Sorry.

Here is the point I tried to make. My daughter's crew team is technically a club, as during these difficult budgets, the school can't afford it. It is entirely funded by the participants. However, they fly the town flag and are undeniably the school's team. You have to be a student at the school to be on the team. They've done well and got an invitation to the Stotesbury Regatta, a prestigious national invitation only event. It would have meant that they miss a day of school to go. If they were an official school team, this would have been readily accommodated. However, since they are not, permission was not given to miss the day. It wasn't because the school didn't want to, it was because the written rules did not allow them to. They were backed in a corner. To make this exception would require exceptions to lots of other crazy things that the rule was actually written to prevent. The rules don't and can't consider all circumstances. Add a real bureaucrat who wants no responsibility for anything and their only interest is to have a rule to cover their butts. Whether the outcome makes sense is totally irrelevant to them. I think you may find some of this in the FCC.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook