Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 07-21-2003

ABullard is on a distinguished road
Fresh Water Drain Points on Perkin''''s 4-108

I would like to flush the fresh water system on my Perkin''s 4-108 engine, but cannot find all the drain points. The manual says there are four but I can only find 2, the one''s on the exhaust manifold. The manual says there is one on top of the head but I cannot find it.

Can someone tell me where the other two are?

Thanks.

Tony
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 07-21-2003

joub is on a distinguished road

I read through my Perkins overhaul manual to get an answer for you. Unfortunatly the manual didn''t mention where any of them were. I get the impression that there are several configurations to this engine so they may be avoiding the subject.

On my 4-108, I have drained the fresh water at the heat exchanger, which is the lowest point in the system. I know there are coolant hoses going to the hot water heater, so they could also be a place to start flushing.

When you re-fill it''s important to make sure the air gets bled out of the system to avoid air pockets. I read somewhere that the drain on the exhaust manifold should be opened to allow the air to escape.

I''ve been running a 50/50 mixture of antifreeze/corrosion inhibiter, and the coolant has always been nice and clean for the two or three years between changes.

You didn''t mention why you want to flush? If it is a heating problem, the heat exchanger is probably a better place to start.

Fairwinds,

Jim

Old 07-22-2003

Mclion71 is on a distinguished road

Not to totally change the topic, but, how different/similar are the Perkins 4-108 and the Westerbeke 4-108?
Old 07-22-2003

namaste04 is on a distinguished road

Hi Tony,
can''y help you on the Perkins... but did you see my query about M39 waterlines on the Mariner forum? i was hoping you, already loaded down for liveaboard, might have some advice....

happy sailing
Stacey
www.svnamaste.com
Old 07-22-2003

The Perkins 4-108 started life as an industrial engine.Many are in use to power portable heavy duty welding machines etc. Westerbeke, marinized the engine by adding a water cooled exhaust manifold,and whatever else they deemed necessary to convert the Perkins to marine service (as they have with a number of other manufacturers engines). At some time Perkins decided to provide their own marinized version using their own add on accessories to convert it to marine use.
It is my understanding that aside from the equipment used by each manufacturer to convert the engine to marine use, the basic engine is still Perkins 4-108.

Old 07-23-2003

mcain is on a distinguished road

Does this mean that some accessories from Westerbeke might fit on the Perkins 4-108? E.g. heat exchanger, etc?
Old 07-23-2003

phunter is on a distinguished road

As you look at the front of the engine, there is a drain spigot that looks like a mini faucet at the back of the block, left side. If you do not have the spigot there than you will find a dead plug that will accomplish the same thing. All are marinized a little different depending on the year, mine has the fuel filter and lift pump on top of it and if yours is the same then it is hard to see.
Old 07-24-2003

Thanks a lot. I am sure it is in a difficult, had to get to location. Just like most everything else.

Tony
Old 07-24-2003

Hi Stacey,

Somehow I missed your question on the waterline. When the surveyors examined my boat they stated that the boat drew 6 feet of water not the advertised 5.5. I suspect that is because the former owners, who lived aboard for 18 years had to add 6 inches of bottom paint to the waterline.

Hope this helps.

Tony
Old 07-24-2003

>>Does this mean that some accessories from Westerbeke might fit on the Perkins 4-108? E.g. heat exchanger, etc? <<

It seems logical that they should, but I''ve no personal knowledge of what can be interchanged.

Jim

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.