Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 06-15-2011

chris2sails is on a distinguished road
Smile Interior Painting

Purchased an HR 28 1968 vintage. Getting ready for painting the interior. I've removed all of the panelling and the carpeting (glued to the hull).

Hoping for a comment:
I'm sanding everywhere I can reach with 40grit. A lot of paint is flaking but a lot of it is Ok. The filleted areas I'll get with a wire wheel and drill arrangement. Then I'll clean everything with TSP. Then a hand sand with 80 grit. TSP again. I might do a another sanding with 120 in the more visible areas. Then TPS final. Ventilate with 2 blowers. I have breathing gear. Prime with 2 part epoxy. Wait 24 hrs then finish with Arylic.
Q: How much of the old paint do I need to remove?
And: There are a lot of blisters in the cabin ceiling. There is a fairing compound that appears to be a lot like body filler in the ceiling. It is almost a 1/8 inch thick in some areas. Less in the cabin sides. About 4 of the 150 blisters/bubbles seem to be wet but not moist to the touch. The rest are all dry. They range is size from 1/4 inch round to 1 inch round. About 5 larger ones. I've popped them/ opened them up with a screw driver and a good hit with the hand. I've faired the edges and ground them out and am ready to fill them.
Q: What is the best material for filling them?
Thanks

Chris2sails
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 06-15-2011

JimsCAL is on a distinguished road
Blisters in the cabin ceiling!! Blisters in fiberglass mean water, and that can only come from the top. If your deck is cored you may have a much more serious problem than deciding how to paint the interior.
Old 06-15-2011

chris2sails is on a distinguished road
Interior Painting

Hi:

The blisters (if that's what they are) are in the fairing compound. Only about 3 or 4 seem to go into the fiberglass. The deck is solid fiberglass on these ole' HR28's. At least they are in mine. Some of the later models, I understand, were cored with marine plywood.

Except for the ceiling in the main part of the cabin, the head and the locker they are in no other locations. Apologies for the confusion.

Thanks

Chris2sails
Old 06-16-2011
SaltwaterSuzi/CapnLarry

LarryandSusanMacDonald will become famous soon enough
It's a good precaution to do a little test painting in small areas to make sure the product you are using is compatible with what's there originally. Wait a couple of days to make sure the new paint won't start eating the old. It's rare that this would happen, but it can, I've seen it, and it's a heckuva lot easier to clean up a small spot or two than to scrape off all the paint and start over.

Good luck. How 'bout some before and after pictures of your project?

"A sailboat is a fickle mistress. Youíve got to buy her things. Youíve got to understand everything about her. What you donít know sheíll use against you." -Captain Larry

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 06-16-2011

JimsCAL is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris2sails View Post
Hi:

The blisters (if that's what they are) are in the fairing compound. Only about 3 or 4 seem to go into the fiberglass. The deck is solid fiberglass on these ole' HR28's. At least they are in mine. Some of the later models, I understand, were cored with marine plywood.

Except for the ceiling in the main part of the cabin, the head and the locker they are in no other locations. Apologies for the confusion.

Thanks

Chris2sails
OK. Maybe blisters is the wrong word. Sounds more like filler thats failing.

As to how to fill them, I suggest epoxy with a light fairing filler. Much better than Bondo but more expensive. The West System website has lots of good info to help you.
Old 06-16-2011

turbulicity is on a distinguished road
I had a nasty headliner on my ceiling before. I took that out, cleaned the mold covered bare fiberglass with bleach and wire brush, rinsed, and painted with exterior alkyd enamel paint (product of Sherwin-Williams is awesome). It covered easily and seems to be staying on strong (has been two weeks, no peeling or chipping). I didn't do any fairing compound or epoxy coat though so I have the texture of the glass cloth visible. Not very pretty.

I am thinking of covering the ceiling with panels of some thin foam insulation + painted door skin as it will help save some energy $$$ in the winter.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.