Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 05-21-2009

Omatako will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by T37Chef View Post
Hey, I just realized the OP was in 2003...LOL
Watch out! The Dog'll get you.

Rayban Aviator polarised. Had to buy two pairs. The black frame (my favourite) doesn't come in polarised but the gold frame does. Go figure. So I bought both and swapped the lenses and sold the gold frame with the std lenses.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Two possibilities exist: Either we are alone in the Universe or we are not. Both are equally terrifying."

Arthur C. Clarke
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-21-2009
Banned

seabreeze_97 is on a distinguished road
No prescriptions here, but ever since I got a pair of Maui Jim shades, I don't want to wear anything else.
Old 05-21-2009
Administrator

administrator has disabled reputation
funny you should mention this. I was considering starting a thread on the same subject last week. Back in the early 90's I have a pair of Varnuets and I loved them - alas I lost them a few years later in Turks & Caicos and have been buying and losing cheap sunglasses ever since. It seems the cheaper they are the less I care about them.

I decided last month to buy a good pair of sunglasses and after making a trip to a local Sunglass Hut and trying on many different pairs, I decided on Varnuets again with their Nautilux lenses. I received them about a week ago and love them.

They feel great, look great and work great.

This is what Varnuet says about their Nautilux lenses:
~~~~~~~~~~~
Yellow base, brown & anti-reflective interior coatings. Double gradient blue exterior filters. A very technical all weather lens conceived to protect against the strong reflection of the sea and against the tiring glare of hazy conditions. This top notch lens is especially effective for watersports.

Nautilux

ps: they're a littl cheaper on ebay from the same company. I bought mine on ebay:

VUARNET PX 8000 NAUTILUX BLUE SUNGLASSES 8114BLM $206 - eBay (item 250324045485 end time Jun-09-09 15:15:21 PDT)

Attached Thumbnails
Sunglasses-varnuet.jpe  

Last edited by administrator; 05-21-2009 at 07:51 AM.
Old 05-27-2009
Custom Member

Stiche is on a distinguished road
Ah...I used to own a pair of Vuarnet Nautilux back in the early 90s too. Great lens! I actually used to wear those sunglasses at night when I was driving because the tint turned the roads completely black, but the amber lens really highlighted reflectors and lights. Awesome on the water too.

For prescription sunglass wearers, like me, a great site is heavyglare.com. They have an absolutely massive collection of sunglasses they can put a prescription into (oddly enough, no Vuarnets...). Only down side is you can't see how the glasses look on you first, but that can be solved with a quick trip to Sunglass Hut next time you're in range of a mall....

That being said, you can find me in a pair of Oakley Whiskers when the sun threatens to show its face in Seattle. Compression fit on the sides of the head instead of ear hooks keeps 'em on my face better
Old 05-27-2009
Barquito

Barquito is on a distinguished road
GET A STRAP. Trust me. I have donated two pair of prescription glasses to the depths of our 10,000 acre lake. Once I forgot I had them on and capsized a dinghy (intentionally). The second (and last) time I was motioning to a friend the direction of the wind and caught the glasses with my finger, flinging them out into the water. Trust me they will find a way overboard, even if you are not a stupid as I am.