Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 06-22-2011

SJ34 is on a distinguished road
It's not uncommon for the hull to deck joint to leak. The fix is to remove the rub-rail, deck to hull fasteners, pry the deck and hull apart, clean or grind smooth, lay a bead of something like 3M 5200 and re-assemble. It's not a fun or easy job so make sure the water is coming from the deck to hull joint before starting.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 06-23-2011

L124C is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimsCAL View Post
I owned a Peason 26 for 10 years. The topsides are pretty high for that sized boat. I think you would have to be over 45 degrees or more before the rub rail would be in the water. If you do this regularly you are not sailing the boat very well.
Obviously, boats with more freeboard are going to bury the rail at greater angles of heel. However, saying that you would need to be "knocked down" to do it is a gross exaggeration! I recently crewed aboard a 50 year old, 53 foot Yawl in the Master Mariners Regatta. We probably dipped the rail on that old girl 3 times during the race, on a relatively mild, but gusty day. After all, on a boat with average freeboard, you don't have to be heeled over that far to have a wave bury the rail. In addition, any time you take water over the bow, the rails are going to get wet. Not trying to be argumentative or go off topic. I simply think we should avoid exaggeration, especially when addressing a self described newbie. IMO, the rail, hull/deck joint is certainly a candidate for causing the OP's leak.

Last edited by L124C; 06-23-2011 at 01:08 PM.
Old 06-24-2011

P26guy is on a distinguished road
yeah, I've never been healed more than 20 degrees with this boat. However with the choppiness in the waves we encounter in lake Huron I know that rub rail gets a lot of water hitting the underside of it. We have had some bad spots in the rubber section of the rail since we bought it and I will be replacing it this weekend. While I have it off I am going to take a few days and reseal that entire deck joint thoroughly. I will let everyone know what happens.

I do like the through hull suggestion as I do have 2 on the port side but none on the starboard. I will definitely make sure those are not playing a part in this.

Thanks for all suggestions

Last edited by P26guy; 07-17-2011 at 08:32 AM. Reason: taking out pic
Old 06-25-2011

L124C is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by P26guy View Post

I do like the through hull suggestion as I do have 2 on the port side but none on the starboard. I will definitely make sure those are not playing a part in this.
I have a check list I run through before I go out. I have someone read it to me as I go from bow to stern. Takes about a minute to run through. I got tired of being heeled over in a blow, looking into the salon and realizing I'd left a hatch open, not emptied the standing water in the head, left a sink drain open, etc. and had water in the salon. One time a guest had put together a great lunch, and unknowingly, placed it in the dry sink. On Port tack, the sink is much lower than the water line and I hadn't closed the valve. That was one soggy lunch!
Here is a copy of the list if you are interested. When you look at it, I think you will see how easy it is to forget something on it:

PRE TRIP

Disconnect shore power (if applicable)
Rotate Head Cowling aft (if applicable)

V BERTH
Secure dehumidifiers (Port and Starboard)
Secure Hatch

HEAD
Sink valve CLOSED
Head water intake valve (thru hull) OPEN
Head water intake (lever right side of head) CLOSED (horizontal)
Empty water in Head

SALON
Secure Hatch
Motor coolant valve OPEN
Maint. pump OFF
Bilge pump AUTO
Sink valve CLOSED
Knot meter in (if applicable)
VHF radio ON (channel 16)
Instruments ON

POST TRIP

Connect shore power (if applicable)
Rotate Cowling (if applicable)

SALON
Instruments and all panel switches (other than cabin lights) OFF
VHF Radio OFF
Engine coolant valve CLOSED
Batteries switched to BOTH
Knot meter out (if applicable)
Maint. pump ON-Drain Bilge-OFF
Bilge pump Auto

HEAD
Head water intake valve (thru hull) CLOSED
Sink drain (thru hull) OPEN

V BERTH
Open Dehumidifiers (Port and Starboard)

BEFORE CLOSING COMPANIONWAY
Check that Bilge pump is switched to AUTO and Batteries are switched to BOTH

Last edited by L124C; 06-25-2011 at 04:47 PM.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.