Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 06-24-2011

imagine2frolic is on a distinguished road
Oh he's very competent. He managed to walk away with your motor. What he is not is honest. This is why I buy the manual, and learn for myself. At times I have a friend show me, and I learn even better. Damned manuals drive me nuts.

bl,

I just love your posts.......i2f

BORROWED, No single one of us is as smart as all of us!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 06-24-2011

HPLou is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to HPLou
"The mechanic said he thinks it might be carburation and started spraying some of my carb cleaner in it while I pulled the chord."

It sounds like the engine got flooded with carb cleaner. Normally one would use spray carb cleaner with the engine running not as one would try to start an engine. Probably have to change the plugs in order to get the engine started. You may have to use a spray starting fluid to get the engine started again. If that doesn't work, the carb may have to come off for a rebuilding. Good luck.
Old 06-24-2011

SJ34 is on a distinguished road
You can't just leave the engine and not pay the bill or you will never see it again, they will repair it and lien sale it to themselves.

The average mechanic rate here is about $100/hr so you are not necessarily getting ripped off in that regard. I'll pile on here though, if you didn't think the guy knew what he was doing you shouldn't have let him take the engine.

FWIW, there are several things that would cause the engine to POP. Assuming it was not mechanical, a lean condition caused by gummed up carb jets, exhaust valves being out of adjustment, exhaust leak etc. My vote would be for a gummy carb if it ran well when you last used it. Spraying carb cleaner into the throat of the carb to clean jets is about as effective as pouring drain cleaner into a manhole cover to clear the sink drain in your kitchen. If plugged, the carb needs to be disassembled and cleaned.

An engine will run with very low compression and you can't always diagnose that with a pull on the cord if the engine uses an automatic decompression system for starting. Somebody more familiar with your engine may be able to advise you about that.

Bottom line, if you have no confidence in the mechanic get the engine back before they can rack up big fees. Or let them fix it and pay up.
Old 06-25-2011

MacGyverRI is on a distinguished road
1st, I gotta raise my labor rate....

Compression may be "low" but still there. Is it a 2 cycle or 4 cycle?
2's are touchy w/ actual compression needed, especially at idle.

A simple Valve adjustment can cure most 4 cycles of bad idling.

If you like my posts, or they were helpful, please click the "scales" icon on top right to add Rep points.
Old 06-25-2011

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about
Well, Mariner, you've stepped in it and the only question is what your STATE laws are. That's what will determine how and whether they can lien your boat, whether they need a written work order and so on. If there's nothing in writing you may be able to demand your engine back and get it. Maybe undamaged.

Best to find out what your local laws are and who knows of the shop and their rep. You might be able to demand your engine back, and if you have any proof of ownership, bring back a cop to liberate it if necessary.

But from what you say...the mechanic certainly sounds full of something. An engine with "no" compression wouldn't have started, wouldn't have run. And would be most unlikely to just "lose" all compression from one day to the next, that wasn't what you'd originally complained about.

Might be simplest to walk away from it but again...you've got to ask locally.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.