SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Gear & Maintenance (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance/)
-   -   Anchoring In Mexico (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance/75698-anchoring-mexico.html)

SVPrairieRose 06-27-2011 10:28 PM

Anchoring In Mexico

So, the Prairie Rose is off to Mexico for the fall, no snow or rain this winter! I do have a question and I am not looking to start WWIII but I have a question of an anchoralogical nature. My current set up is 280' of chain and a 60 lb Bruce as my primary and a 35 CQR with 50 feet of chain and 250' of rhode. I also carry a 25lb danforth on my stern and stored rhode of 250'. Now the question. Is a bruce any good down there? I know it will be primarily sand in the baja, and I am wondering if a fortress would be a better option as a primary, demote the bruce to secondary and let someone decorate their garden with my CQR, any advice? Please, despite it being an anchoring thread, lets keep it civil.

Bilgewater 06-27-2011 10:58 PM

Can't answer your question nor do I like the thought of getting involved in anchor discussions but this sounds like a great trip. I take it you'll be hanging out in the Sea of Cortes for a while. Take lot's of suntan lotion, I'm not far behind you.

SVPrairieRose 06-27-2011 11:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by seayalatermoonglow (Post 744762)
Can't answer your question nor do I like the thought of getting involved in anchor discussions but this sounds like a great trip. I take it you'll be hanging out in the Sea of Cortes for a while. Take lot's of suntan lotion, I'm not far behind you.

When are you heading out? We will be leaving late, october 1st.

Bilgewater 06-27-2011 11:40 PM

Early October should be OK to leave. When I say right behind you, I mean it's still just a plan but maybe next fall and then on to Panama.

Are you going down in one shot or are you ducking in here and there? It would be great if you keep us updated on everything. Sequitur did a nice post about his run down south.

Faster 06-28-2011 12:40 AM

I think most who leave from this area try to get away by mid August, esp if planning to do the coastal hopping/waiting for weather route. Sequiter left closer to the end of September, IIRC, but took a more direct path south.

We had two sets of friends head that way a few years back, both left early/mid August and I think they were around Cabo by Christmas - taking their time, obviously.

One has since returned this spring - after 3 good seasons there - via Dockwise.

Faster 06-28-2011 01:55 AM

Just spoke to our friends recently returned.. They used a Delta-like plow with good success between San Carlos and Manzinillo - plenty of scope and seriously set (1500 rpm).. this on a Passport 40. Not sure the anchor weight.

He also said they encountered all types of bottom conditions but that sand was the predominant one.

He thought your large Bruce would serve you well too most places.

btw what boat are you on?

billyruffn 06-28-2011 12:04 PM

I don’t think you mentioned the boat length / tonnage?

I haven’t been to Mexico, but I have used a 60# Bruce with all chain rode for 10 years now and have had good luck in all sorts of bottom conditions. If you’re thinking of investing in a Fortress, one option might be to get a really big one to use in the event of a big storm. Nice thing about the Fortress anchors is that they fit in tight spaces when dis-assembled. I’d invest in the storage bag if you get one.

SVPrairieRose 06-29-2011 02:38 AM

I know that mid-august would be best, but my girlfriend has commitments that cannot be broken, it will have to be a straight run off the shelf to San Diego to reprovision and wait out the rest of the hurricane season. The boat is an MC39, a heavy cutter built here in Canada. We are anxious to get going. Thanks Faster for speaking with your friends, I appreciate that very much. Billy, I posed this question because there is one for sale in my area, oversized for my boat and half of retail. It would be real nice to get this CQR off my bow too, I stub my toe on it all the time!

Faster 06-29-2011 10:41 AM

On a slightly different topic, be sure to be aware once you get into Mexican waters that your plotter will lie to you.. we were always showing anchored some distance inland.

I'd say night time landfalls without radar are a no-go...

surfn8054 10-05-2013 01:22 PM

Re: Anchoring In Mexico

Happy for you Prairie Rose...wish I was right behind you...my mc39 is hanking at the dock lines wanting to go too....I still have a bit more trucking to do first....all the best and may fair winds always fill ur sails