Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-27-2011

SVPrairieRose is on a distinguished road
Anchoring In Mexico

So, the Prairie Rose is off to Mexico for the fall, no snow or rain this winter! I do have a question and I am not looking to start WWIII but I have a question of an anchoralogical nature. My current set up is 280' of chain and a 60 lb Bruce as my primary and a 35 CQR with 50 feet of chain and 250' of rhode. I also carry a 25lb danforth on my stern and stored rhode of 250'. Now the question. Is a bruce any good down there? I know it will be primarily sand in the baja, and I am wondering if a fortress would be a better option as a primary, demote the bruce to secondary and let someone decorate their garden with my CQR, any advice? Please, despite it being an anchoring thread, lets keep it civil.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 06-27-2011
Hmmm

Bilgewater is on a distinguished road
Can't answer your question nor do I like the thought of getting involved in anchor discussions but this sounds like a great trip. I take it you'll be hanging out in the Sea of Cortes for a while. Take lot's of suntan lotion, I'm not far behind you.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Impulse III
Truant Pilothouse
Old 06-27-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by seayalatermoonglow View Post
Can't answer your question nor do I like the thought of getting involved in anchor discussions but this sounds like a great trip. I take it you'll be hanging out in the Sea of Cortes for a while. Take lot's of suntan lotion, I'm not far behind you.
When are you heading out? We will be leaving late, october 1st.
Old 06-27-2011
Hmmm

Bilgewater is on a distinguished road
Early October should be OK to leave. When I say right behind you, I mean it's still just a plan but maybe next fall and then on to Panama.

Are you going down in one shot or are you ducking in here and there? It would be great if you keep us updated on everything. Sequitur did a nice post about his run down south.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Impulse III
Truant Pilothouse
Old 06-28-2011
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about
I think most who leave from this area try to get away by mid August, esp if planning to do the coastal hopping/waiting for weather route. Sequiter left closer to the end of September, IIRC, but took a more direct path south.

We had two sets of friends head that way a few years back, both left early/mid August and I think they were around Cabo by Christmas - taking their time, obviously.

One has since returned this spring - after 3 good seasons there - via Dockwise.

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Old 06-28-2011
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about
Just spoke to our friends recently returned.. They used a Delta-like plow with good success between San Carlos and Manzinillo - plenty of scope and seriously set (1500 rpm).. this on a Passport 40. Not sure the anchor weight.

He also said they encountered all types of bottom conditions but that sand was the predominant one.

He thought your large Bruce would serve you well too most places.

btw what boat are you on?

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Old 06-28-2011

billyruffn will become famous soon enough
I don’t think you mentioned the boat length / tonnage?

I haven’t been to Mexico, but I have used a 60# Bruce with all chain rode for 10 years now and have had good luck in all sorts of bottom conditions. If you’re thinking of investing in a Fortress, one option might be to get a really big one to use in the event of a big storm. Nice thing about the Fortress anchors is that they fit in tight spaces when dis-assembled. I’d invest in the storage bag if you get one.
Old 06-29-2011

I know that mid-august would be best, but my girlfriend has commitments that cannot be broken, it will have to be a straight run off the shelf to San Diego to reprovision and wait out the rest of the hurricane season. The boat is an MC39, a heavy cutter built here in Canada. We are anxious to get going. Thanks Faster for speaking with your friends, I appreciate that very much. Billy, I posed this question because there is one for sale in my area, oversized for my boat and half of retail. It would be real nice to get this CQR off my bow too, I stub my toe on it all the time!
Old 06-29-2011
Just another Moderator

On a slightly different topic, be sure to be aware once you get into Mexican waters that your plotter will lie to you.. we were always showing anchored some distance inland.

I'd say night time landfalls without radar are a no-go...

Old 10-05-2013

surfn8054 is on a distinguished road
Re: Anchoring In Mexico

Happy for you Prairie Rose...wish I was right behind you...my mc39 is hanking at the dock lines wanting to go too....I still have a bit more trucking to do first....all the best and may fair winds always fill ur sails

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.