Join Date: Apr 2006
Thanked 183 Times in 180 Posts
Rep Power: 13
Sticky vinyl: The plasticizers, oily compounds in the plastic, are leaching out. This is the sign of uncured or improperly mixed plastic as it ages. You, and J/, got suckered with inferior vinyl.
Cures? None really, it is like rotting fruit, all you can do is throw it out. Or scrub with a solvent to pull off what you can, and wait for the rest to age and crack, postpone the replacement a bit.
If the "vinyl" is PVC, the plasticizers that ooze out can sometimes actually be toxic, causing a skin rash and possibly worse problems. Personally, I'd get rid of it if that was at all feasible. (With fond memories of Governor Nelson Rockefeller speaking at a PCB-contaminated building, offering to drink a glass of the harmless PCB oils in question. Yeah, go ahead, it's safe. :-)