How much of a problem is this? (bent turnbuckle on forestay) - Page 2 - SailNet Community

Search Sailnet:

forums  store  

Quick Menu
Forums           
Articles          
Galleries        
Boat Reviews  
Classifieds     
Search SailNet 
Boat Search (new)

Shop the
SailNet Store
Anchor Locker
Boatbuilding & Repair
Charts
Clothing
Electrical
Electronics
Engine
Hatches and Portlights
Interior And Galley
Maintenance
Marine Electronics
Navigation
Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 07-02-2011

southerncross31 is on a distinguished road
That could easily cause your mast to come down! As seems to have happened to the boats in the background.... what's up with that?
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-02-2011

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about
smp-
I'd be surprised if that bent bolt (all I see is the threaded rod bent, the turnbuckle body itself appears undamaged) couldn't be removed and replaced all by itself. Take it apart, use a halyard or tie off the rest of the forestay to the stem to hold the mast upright, see if the rod can be removed. Or, wait till Tuesday, call the maker and ask them if you can order a new rod and replace it. I'd be shocked if that threaded rod was part of a larger forestay that had ot be replaced all in one piece. But then again, I'm so easily shocked. :-)
Old 07-02-2011

mitiempo will become famous soon enough
It could be a swage stud like this though.
Attached Thumbnails
How much of a problem is this? (bent turnbuckle on forestay)-1.jpg  
Old 07-03-2011

knothead has a spectacular aura about knothead has a spectacular aura about knothead has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by sawingknots
i seriously doubt it will be a problem,
You are absolutely wrong. If the boat is never sailed there is a chance that the stud won't break. But it very well could eventually break just sitting in a slip during heavy winds.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike dryver View Post
are you sure that is the forestay swag end that is bent or is that the upper bolt of the turn buckle if it is the bolt you only have to fine a replacement for it and not even have to drop the stick again.
That is not a t-bolt and toggle. Unless it's some kind of extra long one that I'm not familiar with.
The furling system, it looks like a Famet, rotates on a little plastic washer that sits in the piece that is clamped on the bent swage stud right where the Tee and toggle would be if it were a t-bolt and toggle. You can see that by looking at the one at the bottom of the turnbuckle.
And it's certainly not a fixed toggle.

The swage stud, which I'm nearly certain is what we're looking at, needs to be replaced at a minimum. If the wire is more than a decade old, the whole headstay should be replaced.
Every time that a load is applied to that forestay, meaning every puff of wind, that bend tries to straighten out. When it is loaded enough times it will simply break. There is no question about it. Just like bending a coat hanger.
Old 07-05-2011
C&C 32

smp is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to smp
Thanks for all the valuable input guys. I am waiting on an email back from a rigging shop here in Toronto. I sent him pictures and I'll see what he says. I was originally hoping that the bolt could be replaced but I think it's part of the swage fitting .. if I'm using the terminology correctly here. I have been sailing it, I can't help myself .. and Sunday was pretty breezy and we had all our sail up and everything was ok. I know that doesn't mean anything but I'm glad the mast didn't come down on our heads.
Old 07-06-2011

pwareham1978 is on a distinguished road
I would like to preface my comment by stating that I am a new boat owner, having purchased an old cape cod bullseye before last season, so take my comment for what its worth. I noticed a similar bend with my forestay rig just two days ago when I was rigging my boat. The bolt that goes into the turnbuckle actually ended up snapping on me when I just finished tightening the forestay. I was very fortunate it happened while at the dock and not under sail. So if it were me I would replace the whole thing and not take any chances.