Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 07-03-2011

mxtommy is on a distinguished road
Storage space ideas

Hi,

The previous owner of my boat decided a 120volt fridge was a good idea :-/

After two years of not using it I finally pulled it out. I want to use the hole it left as storage space, since my boat has precious little storage for it's size. Does anyone have any ingenious ideas on how to best use it?

The hole is 19 inches wide, 34.5 inches high, 19 inches deep at bottom, and 26 inches deep at the top. (it follows the curve of the hull)

I guess the best would be drawers that lock for when the boat is heeled. Unfortunately building them would be out of my skill level in woodworking, (I'm assuming they need to be custom? I could install pre-made ones, but no idea where to even find them...) and paying to have some custom ones built is outside my budget right now (I've already blown this years boat budget on other projects)

The only other idea I can think of at the moment is some kind of cargo netting to hold things in while heeled. But then I could only store large stuff (small items would likely fall out I think)

Any cool ideas out there?
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-03-2011
Senior Slacker

SlowButSteady is on a distinguished road
If you don't already have a hanging wet locker, this sounds like a great opportunity to add one. A nice big hanging wet locker is an oft omitted feature that really comes in handy, particularly when trying to keep the interior relatively dry on a wet passage.
Charlotte Bacon, Daniel Barden, Rachel Davino, Olivia Josephine Gay, Ana M. Marquez-Greene, Dylan Hockley, Dawn Hochsprung, Madeleine F. Hsu, Catherine V. Hubbard, Chase Kowalski, Jesse Lewis, James Mattioli , Grace McDonnell, Anne Marie Murphy, Emilie Parker, Jack Pinto, Noah Pozner, Caroline Previdi, Jessica Rekos, Avielle Richman, Lauren Rousseau, Mary Sherlach, Victoria Soto, Benjamin Wheeler, Allison N. Wyatt
Old 07-04-2011

mitiempo will become famous soon enough mitiempo will become famous soon enough
A cabinet with shelves and either a door or removable netting will make better use of the space than drawers. Drawers lose a lot of space to the slides and space between them that is useless.
Another idea is dedicated space for plastic bins - easy to do and the least expensive as well. Examples below.
Attached Thumbnails
Storage space ideas-1.jpg   Storage space ideas-2.jpg  
Old 07-04-2011

paulk is on a distinguished road
I like the way Brian has set up his shelves with boxes that you have to lift over the edging rail up to get them out- just like a drawer without the expense. The rails along the sides keep the boxes from sliding around, too. Nicely done. Something like this would make effective use of the space and be simple to do, even if your carpentry skills aren't as good as Brian's.
Old 07-04-2011

mitiempo will become famous soon enough mitiempo will become famous soon enough
paulk

Thanks for the compliment but neither picture is my boat - they're both from my files, hundreds of pics I have collected from everywhere.

The first are home made but the second pic is of a European boat and a smart idea. Shop for plastic bins of the right size - there are thousands out there - and build them in. The most usability of space and the least work. Lighter than cabinets as well.
Old 07-04-2011

Ulladh is on a distinguished road
I would second the wet locker suggestion. This past Sunday I got a thorough soaking and nowhere to hang my stuff, not just to dry, but not to make everything else wet.

This will be my fall project, I don't want to waste sailing time on projects.
Old 07-05-2011

FlyNavy is on a distinguished road
Can't take credit for this one: My wife went to a local Marshall's Home store...like an inexpensive Pier One... and bought some small wicker baskets that fit perfectly between the hull and the catch rails just above the seat backs. They serve the purpose of the plastic bins in the photo in this thread, look great as well as being really inexpensive.
Sailing year 'round
(Not up North)
Old 07-07-2011

Omatako will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by mitiempo View Post
A cabinet with shelves and either a door or removable netting will make better use of the space than drawers. Drawers lose a lot of space to the slides and space between them that is useless.
Another idea is dedicated space for plastic bins - easy to do and the least expensive as well. Examples below.
I just measured the drawer slides that I will be using for drawers in my boat and they're just 11mm thick. I reckon I could conservatively put 5 sets of slides into the space taken between the plastic boxes shown.

By now you probably have the understanding that I disagree and believe that drawers on decent slides are by far the best solution, especially when stowing heavy-ish gear. My wife would not be able to lift one of those plastic boxes out of their space unless they were near empty. A drawer on slides on the other hand offer no contest.

With two drawer slides fitted to a wafer plate of 3mm stainless, I can fit drawers side by side with as little as 15mm between them. There is also no space wasted between one drawer and the one above it. A very efficient solution all in all.

But I guess it's also a matter of horses for courses. A little boat is probably better off with little baskets/boxes.

The other observation is that if the OP is not technically capable of making drawers (own admission) then a wet locker conversion is probably also out of reach. And with only 35 inches of height everything wet would need to be folded over a hanger (unless one is seriously vertically challenged). I think the aperture is a bit small for a wet locker. The simplest technical solution is definitely Brian's - shelves. Anyone can install shelves.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Two possibilities exist: Either we are alone in the Universe or we are not. Both are equally terrifying."

Arthur C. Clarke
Old 07-08-2011

gtod25 is on a distinguished road
This works for me.....

Courtesy of Lowes Marine and Container Store Marine.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.