Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 07-14-2011

patrscoe is on a distinguished road
It's hard to believe that there are debates about making our waters cleaner... But I guess debates are good. I hope whatever method you choose is the most responsible disposal. "It is just a little amount of oil"... "What harm could it actually do?" But if everyone says that then that little amount is a big problem. It's like throwing a plastic water bottle overboard and then 5 minutes later complaining about how the waters are so polluted.
Most marinas support "clean environment" policy and will have methods of disposal that you can use or stop by your local gas station and ask their mechanic.

My two cents and I'm sure it's worth about that.
Patrick
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-14-2011
Both ends are pointy.

junkrig is on a distinguished road
Patrick,
I think much of the conversation on this thread - I know my WalMart post - is kind of a backwards debate, grumbling that if big money feeds gross amounts of oil to the water it tends to get overlooked, while rec boaters better not leave any visible sheen. I doubt if anyone here is advocating pitching oily water into the drink.
Sad to say, older 2-strokes exhale a visible sheen out their exhaust systems. And automobiles, and parking lots, are still the biggest contributors.
I don't have a clue what to do about the larger issue, and yes, marinas and boat yards almost always make provision to handle boaters' waste, but that is such a tiny fraction. I guess one does what one can.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

S/V Seablossom Nor'Sea 27 with modern junk rig.
Just because I like it.
Old 07-16-2011

puddinlegs is on a distinguished road
This whole issue isn't debatable and it isn't difficult. Most marinas have a hazardous waste disposal tank. Pumping oily bilge water over board because you think someone else might be doing it and getting away with it, or dumping oil on asphalt is ok because it's a petroleum product is simply lame rationalization. Two wrongs don't make a right. Two wrights made a plane... that sort of thing. Chose the side of caution on this one even if you think "it isn't that much, is it?". It's just not that difficult to do the right thing.

Last edited by puddinlegs; 07-16-2011 at 02:35 AM.
Old 07-16-2011
Mermaid Hunter

SVAuspicious will become famous soon enough
You didn't say which marina you are going into. Some have better hazardous waste handling facilities than others. I know Port Annapolis has a publicly available facility for used oil and anti-freeze. I don't know if they'll take oily bilge water; call them and ask 410.269.1990. If that doesn't work out and you have a place to store the bilge water for a few weeks you can drop it off at an Anne Arundel County facility on a Hazardous Waste day ( Household Hazardous Waste ) -- Severna Park is in AA County isn't it?
beware "cut and paste" sailors.

Old 07-16-2011
s/v Tiger Lily

dvuyxx is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by deniseO30 View Post
mysterious diesel leak? Where is your fuel tank ? Mine had super small pin holes in the bottom which was sitting on plywood aft of the shaft and before the rudder tube. I was in denial for a couple of weeks until I finally decided to pull it and replace with a plastic tank. It really wasn't all that difficult. My friend helping me had it out even before I got back to the dock with camera!
Denise, I'm hoping that is not the case ... you never know. The reason I think that it is a connection somewhere around th engine is that the petrol is in the tray under the engine as well as the bilge... so I think that the problem is higher than the tank. You didn't have to open up (cut open) any deck to get your tank out?
Old 07-16-2011
Move over Joan Rivers!

deniseO30 will become famous soon enough deniseO30 will become famous soon enough
David no.. luckily it came up and out the lazertte surprised me too! We did have to cut the filller tube off flush; took about a minute with the sawzall.

my current "project"!
Old 07-16-2011

knothead has a spectacular aura about knothead has a spectacular aura about knothead has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by puddinlegs View Post
This whole issue isn't debatable and it isn't difficult. Most marinas have a hazardous waste disposal tank. Pumping oily bilge water over board because you think someone else might be doing it and getting away with it, or dumping oil on asphalt is ok because it's a petroleum product is simply lame rationalization. Two wrongs don't make a right. Two wrights made a plane... that sort of thing. Chose the side of caution on this one even if you think "it isn't that much, is it?". It's just not that difficult to do the right thing.
Damn, I never should have posted to this thread.

FOR THE RECORD: I NEVER SUGGESTED POURING OUT OILY WATER ANYWHERE.

I suggested removing the oil from the water and then pouring out the water. Please don't twist what I said.
Old 07-16-2011

kd3pc is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by knothead View Post
I suggested removing the oil from the water and then pouring out the water. Please don't twist what I said.

I think this is the rub...there is no way for us regular folk to do this and meet the requirements of the EPA/DEQ/DNR/etc/etc....

Knot, I do understand where you are coming from....just got back from the green boxes (trash dump here in NoVA) where a little old lady dumped 4 pints of 2 stroke oil for mix in the green box, she was careful to open each one and then throw it in..when she saw me shaking my head, she said she "usually just pours all that crap down the sink, but lately it causes such a mess I thought I would take it to the dump"..

When I suggested that she dump them in the oil tank about 20' away (big sign about waste oil, waste antifreeze next to it)....she only said "oh this isn't oil, it is to be mixed with oil to make it work like gas"..when I started to explain, she waved me off, got in her car and drove off.

The attendant who watched the whole thing, just shrugged and went back to his little shack....

Now the oil is running out of the green box, on to the asphalt...no oil dry (or cleanup kit, or phone number like you see at ALL marinas), no attendant action (when I pointed out to him, "it ain't my job, besides what difference will it make"..

YMMV
Old 07-16-2011
Crotchety Old Member

tomperanteau is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by knothead View Post
That's what I took away from your post, too.

S/V Footprints

Youtube

1969 Crealock/Columbia 36 Sloop completely refitted in 2000 and new Yanmar in 2006.
Old 07-16-2011
Banned

seabreeze_97 is on a distinguished road
Thats funny about the mercury. They mandate removal from thermometers and thermostats, then mandate compact fluorescent bulbs that contain... Mercury!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor View Post
Usually a marina will have a "waste oil" barrel. Old motor oil, oil contaminated bilge water, anything with oil in it, goes into that barrel and goes out for recycling, or use as heating oil.

knothead-
"Why would pumping or pouring the remaining water out be a problem? " No problem, as long as it is WATER. but "any remaining oil residue would simply evaporate" if what you dump leaves ANY rainbow sheen on the ground, for any amount of time? Get out the checkbook, no one wants to hear about evaporation. It is still an "oil spill" and ground contamination is possible, so they don't debate it, they just scoop up the fluid AND THE GROUND BENEATH IT and send you the hazmat disposal bill.

A man in Florida let his kids play with a bottle of mercury, supposedly gotten from a potions store or found in his garage when he bought the house...the authorities wound up tearing up the driveway that the kids had spilled it on. And bringing in dump trucks. And last I heard, coupe of months ago, they were debating who would pay the quarter million dollars or so that they figured for the earthmoving and hazmat.

There are some places you just don't want to go.