Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 07-16-2011

pdqaltair is on a distinguished road
A few details

a. Bilge water is not a hazardous waste unless there is a material amount of gasoline present.

b. Though it is legal to place oil water in a used oil tank, the collection vendor may refuse to collect the resulting waste. Use oil DIY collection tanks generally have signs limiting the material that can be placed in them. This is a dirty trick to pull on a marina.

c. It is not acceptable to place oily water in a used AF collection tank. Same as the used oil tank, collection may be refused and there is generally a sign listing acceptable materials.

d. Many marinas do have bilge water tanks. I know Herrington Harbor does.

e. Neither VA nor MD county DIY collection facilities accept oiy water.

f. I believe the "household hazardous waste days" will limit you to impractically small volumes. A gallon or two.

If you have a signifigant volume of bilge water, the same vendor that collects the used oil can probably provide the service, for a fee. Some can pump dirrect from the boat.

"Well, I just climb up to them."

by Joe Brown, English rock climber

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-16-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by seabreeze_97 View Post
Thats funny about the mercury. They mandate removal from thermometers and thermostats, then mandate compact fluorescent bulbs that contain... Mercury!
...But, if you are a business the fluorecents are a "universal waste" and not common trash; they must be managed like hazardous waste.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 07-17-2011
s/v Tiger Lily

dvuyxx is on a distinguished road
I am surprised how this conversation thread turned into a debate about whether or not to dump tainted bilge water into the water or ground table. That was not my original intent. No bilge sock is going to completely get an oily bilge clean ... so if you know if you dump it somewhere other than where you swim and sail, why not dispose of it in a place that can treat/handle it properly. I was just wondering where that was. The marinas around here seem to have varying explanations ... as long as it doesn't get into the water, I'm fine.
Old 07-17-2011

A CWT Facilty.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvuyxx View Post
I am surprised how this conversation thread turned into a debate about whether or not to dump tainted bilge water into the water or ground table. That was not my original intent. No bilge sock is going to completely get an oily bilge clean ... so if you know if you dump it somewhere other than where you swim and sail, why not dispose of it in a place that can treat/handle it properly. I was just wondering where that was. The marinas around here seem to have varying explanations ... as long as it doesn't get into the water, I'm fine.

If you had your own wastewater permit, you could treat bilge water mixed with oil and surfactants and discharge to the sanitary sewer or surface water, in accordance with the treatment reqirements of the permit. You do not and VERY few marinas have this type of permit.

The only other alternative is treatment at a CWT (Centralized Waste Treatment) facility, permited to take subcatagory B (oily water) wastes under the clean water act. Bilge water is identified in the CWT regulations as a subcatagory B waste.

http://water.epa.gov/scitech/wastete...ance_guide.pdf

These are the businesses that can treat it properly. The best known in the Annapolis are are FCC Environmental and Clean Harbors. There are many haulers that will take it to these.

Old 07-17-2011
Mermaid Hunter

SVAuspicious will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdqaltair View Post
e. Neither VA nor MD county DIY collection facilities accept oiy water.

f. I believe the "household hazardous waste days" will limit you to impractically small volumes. A gallon or two.
Millersville MD has taken 5 gallons of oily bilge water from me on a hazardous waste day. Fairfax VA (for what it is worth) where I used to live took a full-size pickup bed of all kinds of stuff from cleaning out the garage when I sold the house.

Thanks for the link. Good stuff.
beware "cut and paste" sailors.