What to do with bilge water? - SailNet Community

   Search Sailnet:

 forums  store  


Quick Menu
Forums           
Articles          
Galleries        
Boat Reviews  
Classifieds     
Search SailNet 
Boat Search (new)

Shop the
SailNet Store
Anchor Locker
Boatbuilding & Repair
Charts
Clothing
Electrical
Electronics
Engine
Hatches and Portlights
Interior And Galley
Maintenance
Marine Electronics
Navigation
Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here






Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
  #1  
Old 07-12-2011
dvuyxx's Avatar
s/v Tiger Lily
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Washington, DC - Annapolis
Posts: 567
Thanks: 50
Thanked 16 Times in 13 Posts
Rep Power: 6
dvuyxx is on a distinguished road
What to do with bilge water?

So, next week I'm taking the boat off my mooring to a local marina where my mechanic and I are going to solve, once and for all, a mysterious diesel leak AND then clean out the bilge and make it smell like flowers.

So, if I scrub my bilge with a degreaser-cleaner and shop-vac it ... do marinas typically have a place where I can dump the shop-vac waste? In the past, my bilge socks have collected the mess ...but it's beyond that now.

By the way, I have my bilges OFF because I don't want to cause the next Deep Horizon here on the Severn.
__________________
David
Severna Park, MD
Pearson 35 - s/v Tiger Lily
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
  #2  
Old 07-12-2011
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Posts: 4,192
Thanks: 50
Thanked 37 Times in 36 Posts
Rep Power: 14
knothead has a spectacular aura about knothead has a spectacular aura about knothead has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by dvuyxx View Post
So, next week I'm taking the boat off my mooring to a local marina where my mechanic and I are going to solve, once and for all, a mysterious diesel leak AND then clean out the bilge and make it smell like flowers.

So, if I scrub my bilge with a degreaser-cleaner and shop-vac it ... do marinas typically have a place where I can dump the shop-vac waste? In the past, my bilge socks have collected the mess ...but it's beyond that now.

By the way, I have my bilges OFF because I don't want to cause the next Deep Horizon here on the Severn.
I would use some oil diapers to absorb the oil then dispose of the remaining water overboard or by pouring it out on some asphalt.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
  #3  
Old 07-12-2011
kd3pc's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Callao, VA
Posts: 1,356
Thanks: 0
Thanked 9 Times in 9 Posts
Rep Power: 9
kd3pc is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by knothead View Post
I would use some oil diapers to absorb the oil then dispose of the remaining water overboard or by pouring it out on some asphalt.
In MD, as in VA, that will likely result in some upset people and possible fines.

By both state dept of environmental quality...that contaminated bilge water and subsequent rinse water will have to be dealt with in a correct fashion. That means that you will have to pump it out...to a barrel and have it disposed of properly.

Ignorance is no excuse to break the law. Your yard will have the appropriate stuff to deal with this. It will cost you..about $1-2 per gallon, a year ago when I last did this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
  #4  
Old 07-12-2011
dvuyxx's Avatar
s/v Tiger Lily
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Washington, DC - Annapolis
Posts: 567
Thanks: 50
Thanked 16 Times in 13 Posts
Rep Power: 6
dvuyxx is on a distinguished road
Thanks. Agree ... I feel like even if the water looks clean, it is seeping some level of petrol into the ground and eventually running off into the bay. I'll ask the marina about a barrel to dump into.
__________________
David
Severna Park, MD
Pearson 35 - s/v Tiger Lily
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
  #5  
Old 07-12-2011
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Posts: 4,192
Thanks: 50
Thanked 37 Times in 36 Posts
Rep Power: 14
knothead has a spectacular aura about knothead has a spectacular aura about knothead has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by kd3pc View Post
In MD, as in VA, that will likely result in some upset people and possible fines.

By both state dept of environmental quality...that contaminated bilge water and subsequent rinse water will have to be dealt with in a correct fashion. That means that you will have to pump it out...to a barrel and have it disposed of properly.

Ignorance is no excuse to break the law. Your yard will have the appropriate stuff to deal with this. It will cost you..about $1-2 per gallon, a year ago when I last did this.
In my experience, the diapers absorb the oil leaving only water. Unless you've used soap or something to dissolve the oil in the bilge.
Why would pumping or pouring the remaining water out be a problem?

The reason I suggested pouring out the water on asphalt is that any remaining oil residue would simply evaporate.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
  #6  
Old 07-12-2011
hellosailor's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 10,900
Thanks: 2
Thanked 103 Times in 100 Posts
Rep Power: 10
hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about
Usually a marina will have a "waste oil" barrel. Old motor oil, oil contaminated bilge water, anything with oil in it, goes into that barrel and goes out for recycling, or use as heating oil.

knothead-
"Why would pumping or pouring the remaining water out be a problem? " No problem, as long as it is WATER. but "any remaining oil residue would simply evaporate" if what you dump leaves ANY rainbow sheen on the ground, for any amount of time? Get out the checkbook, no one wants to hear about evaporation. It is still an "oil spill" and ground contamination is possible, so they don't debate it, they just scoop up the fluid AND THE GROUND BENEATH IT and send you the hazmat disposal bill.

A man in Florida let his kids play with a bottle of mercury, supposedly gotten from a potions store or found in his garage when he bought the house...the authorities wound up tearing up the driveway that the kids had spilled it on. And bringing in dump trucks. And last I heard, coupe of months ago, they were debating who would pay the quarter million dollars or so that they figured for the earthmoving and hazmat.

There are some places you just don't want to go.

Last edited by hellosailor; 07-12-2011 at 04:37 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
  #7  
Old 07-12-2011
deniseO30's Avatar
1934 Chickering
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Bristol pa
Posts: 6,354
Thanks: 52
Thanked 101 Times in 91 Posts
Rep Power: 10
deniseO30 will become famous soon enough deniseO30 will become famous soon enough
mysterious diesel leak? Where is your fuel tank ? Mine had super small pin holes in the bottom which was sitting on plywood aft of the shaft and before the rudder tube. I was in denial for a couple of weeks until I finally decided to pull it and replace with a plastic tank. It really wasn't all that difficult. My friend helping me had it out even before I got back to the dock with camera!
__________________
Denise, Bristol PA, Oday 30. On Tidal Delaware River, Anchor Yacht Club. New Website!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My boat is for sale.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
  #8  
Old 07-12-2011
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Posts: 4,192
Thanks: 50
Thanked 37 Times in 36 Posts
Rep Power: 14
knothead has a spectacular aura about knothead has a spectacular aura about knothead has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor View Post
Usually a marina will have a "waste oil" barrel. Old motor oil, oil contaminated bilge water, anything with oil in it, goes into that barrel and goes out for recycling, or use as heating oil.

knothead-
"Why would pumping or pouring the remaining water out be a problem? " No problem, as long as it is WATER. but "any remaining oil residue would simply evaporate" if what you dump leaves ANY rainbow sheen on the ground, for any amount of time? Get out the checkbook, no one wants to hear about evaporation. It is still an "oil spill" and ground contamination is possible, so they don't debate it, they just scoop up the fluid AND THE GROUND BENEATH IT and send you the hazmat disposal bill.

A man in Florida let his kids play with a bottle of mercury, supposedly gotten from a potions store or found in his garage when he bought the house...the authorities wound up tearing up the driveway that the kids had spilled it on. And bringing in dump trucks. And last I heard, coupe of months ago, they were debating who would pay the quarter million dollars or so that they figured for the earthmoving and hazmat.

There are some places you just don't want to go.
Yeah, I guess you're right.
It's just that in light of things like the Gulf oil spill and sewage treatment plant overflows and such it seems kind of silly that someone can't pump out their bilge water after removing the oil from it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
  #9  
Old 07-12-2011
herezjohnny's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: slidell, la.
Posts: 62
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rep Power: 4
herezjohnny is on a distinguished road
I like mine with a little scotch over ice...delicious
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
  #10  
Old 07-12-2011
junkrig's Avatar
Both ends are pointy.
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Missouri
Posts: 228
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rep Power: 4
junkrig is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by knothead View Post
Yeah, I guess you're right.
It's just that in light of things like the Gulf oil spill and sewage treatment plant overflows and such it seems kind of silly that someone can't pump out their bilge water after removing the oil from it.
Go to a Wal-Mart parking lot during or after a rain if you want to see some "rainbow sheen."
I suppose you could always take your bilge water to the closest Wal-Mart...
No! No! Or at least don't say you heard it from me.
__________________

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.



To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

S/V Seablossom Nor'Sea 27 with modern junk rig.
Just because I like it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

 
Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may post attachments
You may edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Bilge water - what's too much Tanley General Discussion (sailing related) 9 06-03-2010 12:36 AM
Water in the bilge inthesprings General Discussion (sailing related) 25 09-24-2009 03:44 PM
Bilge water BayDancer Catalina 1 07-08-2006 11:31 AM
Where does bilge water come from? chris1514 Gear & Maintenance 8 07-27-2003 08:51 AM
Water in the Bilge Dan Dickison Gear and Maintenance Articles 0 03-12-2001 08:00 PM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:21 AM.

Add to My Yahoo!         
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
SEO by vBSEO 3.6.1
(c) Marine.com LLC 2000-2012

The SailNet.com store is owned and operated by a company independent of the SailNet.com forum. You are now leaving the SailNet forum. Click OK to continue or Cancel to return to the SailNet forum.