Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-15-2011

jarcher is on a distinguished road
Xantrex sucks - What replaces an Xantrex Echo-Charger?

On May 5, 2010 I bought an Xantrex Digital Echo-Charger. Actually installed it probably in June of that year. When I launched the boat this year, it didn't work. Got it home, called Xantrex. Oh, we're sorry, that has a 1 year warrenty. Nothing we can do for you. I explained that the device has been installed in a 30 foot boat, below, potected from water, spray and so on and it never got wet, but if I look through the little vent holes I see lots of rusted parts. They replied "Yeah, usually they don't rust out that fast."

So basically I paid about $120 for a charger that lasted one season. Just thought I would warn you guys not to make the same mistake.

Can anyone suggest a comperable unit?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 07-15-2011
Unpaid Intern

josrulz is on a distinguished road
I'll be interested to hear what others say--I plan to buy an Echo charger this year.
-J
Old 07-15-2011

btrayfors will become famous soon enough btrayfors will become famous soon enough
I bought and installed an EchoCharge aboard my boat in Annapolis over seven years ago. The boat has been in both salt and fresh water since then, and nary a problem. I see NO signs of corrosion.

I have installed several EchoCharges on client boats, and have never heard of a failure. It's the one Xantrex product (which they purchased from Heart) that has a reputation of trouble-free performance. It does what it's supposed to do.

Most likely the OP's situation was influenced either by the environment (before or after purchase and installation) and/or by the unit having somehow been splashed without the owner's knowledge. On a small racing boat, it's not hard for water to find its way below.

Today I would not hesitate to install an EchoCharge, though I agree with the OP's comment about Xantrex.

Re: another unit, you could always purchase a Balmar Duo-Charge. More sophisticated, programmable, and about twice the price!

Bill

Last edited by btrayfors; 07-15-2011 at 07:17 PM.
Old 07-15-2011

mitiempo will become famous soon enough mitiempo will become famous soon enough
I agree with Bill. I own an Echo Charge and have installed quite a few as well, all without any problems.

Did it get wet? The rust would indicate that it was splashed.

I don't know of any battery charger type device (that is vented) that would survive a soaking.
Old 07-15-2011

mitiempo will become famous soon enough mitiempo will become famous soon enough
From page 6 of the manual:
Attached Thumbnails
Xantrex sucks - What replaces an Xantrex Echo-Charger?-1.jpg  
Old 07-16-2011
Irrationally Exuberant

arf145 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by josrulz View Post
I'll be interested to hear what others say--I plan to buy an Echo charger this year.
-J
Installed an EchoCharger a year and a half ago. Works perfectly, and one of my favorite improvements.

2000 Beneteau 331
Northern Chesapeake Bay

Ambition is a poor excuse for not having enough sense to be lazy ~ Steven Wright
Old 03-16-2012

JeremyP is on a distinguished road
Re: Xantrex sucks - What replaces an Xantrex Echo-Charger?

Anyone already installed the Sterling Power echo charger? It's more money, but I also don't want the Xantrex experience. anyone running a ProCharge-B echo charger?
Old 03-16-2012

Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by jarcher View Post
On May 5, 2010 I bought an Xantrex Digital Echo-Charger. Actually installed it probably in June of that year. When I launched the boat this year, it didn't work. Got it home, called Xantrex. Oh, we're sorry, that has a 1 year warrenty. Nothing we can do for you. I explained that the device has been installed in a 30 foot boat, below, potected from water, spray and so on and it never got wet, but if I look through the little vent holes I see lots of rusted parts. They replied "Yeah, usually they don't rust out that fast."

So basically I paid about $120 for a charger that lasted one season. Just thought I would warn you guys not to make the same mistake.

Can anyone suggest a comperable unit?
This is one of Xantrex's better products. They did not invent it nor design it and have only cheapened it over the years. That said they are still very reliable, IF installed in a DRY location..

Sounds like you need a waterproof battery to battery charger. Sterling Power makes one but they are more money. A Blue Sea ACR has better water resistance...

Sterling Power Battery to Battery Charger (B2B)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

© Images In Posts Property of Compass Marine Inc.

Old 03-17-2012

ccriders is on a distinguished road

It seems to me that if you are going to manufacture something for the marine environment then you would make it resistant to corrosion and able to deflect incidental water spray. I'm not talking about sending it to the bottom or total submersion, but often we have very nearly 100% humidity and the formation of salt crystals on exposed parts, especially those with some sort of associated electrical field. I am forever amazed how quickly equipment deteriorates in a salt water environment.
Question: Where does Zantrex manufacture its products?
John
Old 07-23-2012

Islandfever77 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to Islandfever77 Send a message via MSN to Islandfever77 Send a message via Yahoo to Islandfever77

I purchased one of the new Xantrex SW 2000 W charger/inverters about a month ago from West Marine with the extended warranty. It quit working after about a month. I took it to their authorized Xantrex repair service in Orlando. Even though it was in a well protected area of my trawler, they are trying to tell me it was water damage. I find this difficult to believe and suspect they are just having problems with the new technology. Has anyone else had any experience with Xantrex. I have appealed their denial of warranty and awaiting a decision. Any suggestions?

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.