Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 07-18-2011

beej67 is on a distinguished road
Oil leak, need info about replacement parts, opinions

Engine: Yanmar 3GM30F
Engine Number: E26758

The dipstick hole on this engine is set in a housing that's bolted onto the engine. It's leaking. Don't know for how long, or what could have started the leak. Between trips (about a month) all the oil ran out of the pan, or at least quite a bit did, because the dipstick read 'dry.' I put a liter in, sparked the engine up, and could see the oil leak out from around the seal on the housing shown above.

My current plan, pending Sailnet Approval, is to pull the thing off, clean it up, replace the gasket, and bolt it back on. Simply tightening it didn't seem to work.

The plan is complicated by the fact that I'm in Atlanta, the boat is in Panama City, and the housing shown in the photo is behind my muffler and my sink, so access is very limited. The above photo was taken by holding a cell phone with a flash into a dark corner into which I normally can hardly stick a wrench.

Question 1) Who can I contact to mail order the proper gasket? Should I replace the whole housing as well? I did not have time to pull it off last weekend due to aforementioned complications.

Question 2) I could watch oil leaking out of this housing as I ran the engine, but saw none when the engine was off. That seemed odd to me, considering the oil pan is not supposed to be pressurized. I'm of the mind to write off the difference in leak rate to engine vibration, but would welcome other opinions or potential additional problems that might indicate.

Question 3) (related) I did not check the oil on our way back in last time, but I didn't notice any engine overheating, oil pressure, or other idiot light issues. If the leak is exacerbated by vibration, wouldn't I have run myself out of oil on the previous trip? How could the leak have been 'sprung' in my absence?
Old 07-18-2011

captainrizzo is on a distinguished road
Call Torresen marine in Muskegon, Michigan. They are an authorized Yanmar dealer and have always been extremely helpful over the phone.

"If you want to build a ship, don't herd people together to collect wood. Just teach them to long for the endless immensity of the sea"
Antoine de Saint

My Blog:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-18-2011
Learning the HARD way...

eherlihy will become famous soon enough
I suspect that you have a crankcase breather hose that is plugged. THAT would cause this, and the pressurization of your oil pan. Verify this FIRST.

IF you need to replace a gasket, for this application, I would use Gasketing Silicone without hesitation. The service temps should normally be < 300ļF.

Remove part
THOUROUGHLY clean both surfaces with paper towels
Clean again with alcohol and more towels
Apply Silicone
Put together
Let dry
Refill Oil
Enjoy...
Old 07-18-2011

beej67 is on a distinguished road
Talk to me about the crankcase breather hose. Don't have my manual in front of me. Is there a PCV valve I need to check? Could it just be crud in the hose somewhere?
Old 07-18-2011

sawingknots is on a distinguished road
eherl,is on the right track,i don't think theres a pcv valve but i could be wrong,try disconecting the crackcase vent hose where it conects to the intake,observe the amount of blowby,if little or none your ploblem is a clog somewhere,if lots your engine needs rebuilding
Old 07-18-2011
Learning the HARD way...

motoren.ath.cx: Yanmar motoren, motors engine | manual download

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

USCG Licensed OUPV Captain, ASA 101/103/104/105 Certified Instructor - Also certified in Recreational Marine Electrical Systems

Getting back onto the water after undergoing knee surgery.
Old 07-18-2011
Learning the HARD way...

Because this job pays so well...

look at the Service Manual from my earlier post (it's locked so that I can't cut & paste) Page 170 of 231.

USCG Licensed OUPV Captain, ASA 101/103/104/105 Certified Instructor - Also certified in Recreational Marine Electrical Systems

Getting back onto the water after undergoing knee surgery.