Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 08-06-2003

hamiam is on a distinguished road
Enough power?

I think one thing has been missed here. Is the hull easily driven or not. ie is there alot of wetted area, full keel, etc? I think this will have alot to do with the hp requirements as will the size, blade numbers, and pitch of the prop.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 08-06-2003

Nereus32 is an unknown quantity at this point
Enough power?

And, don''t forget auxillary loads, like alternators and refrigeration. A 100 amp alternator can really take a lot of HP off the top when it is charging flat out. That''s HP that doesn''t make it out to the prop.
Old 08-06-2003

Stede is on a distinguished road
Enough power?

Hamiam,

You bring up a good point.One I had thought about also. I guess I should have told you guys more about the boat when I originally posted this, but I was paranoid about someone possibly messing my deal up.Actually,there are two boats now that I''m really interested in. The first is an C&C 33.Her displacement is actually 9,800 lbs.(I inaccurately had in my original post she was 10,800 lbs., I believe). She has a fin keel, with a draft of 5''5". Water line length is 34 ft.Length overall is 32''10".I''m taking this info.straight from the add for the boat.I''m not sure how accurate it is. The second boat in the running is a Dehler Optima 101.(This is a boat Jeff_H got me stuck on a long time ago...Thanks Jeff! I believe she is fin keel also,but am not positive.Her displacement is 8,818 lbs.,with a draft of 5''6.Water line length is 27.2,with an overall length of 34 ft.Both are powered with 18 hp Yanmars.Now, I''m digging deep here to pull up what little bit I remember about hull design-which is probably wrong. Between two boats with similar displacements, wouldn''t the one with the longer waterline be the faster boat-generally speaking? I know the Dehler carries a lower PHRF rating even though the C&C has a longer waterline.Of course the Dehler is also 1000 lb.lighter in displacement.To my little pea brain, it seems like the 18hp Yanmar is more of an efficient motor on the Dehler design.If any of you guys have any opinions about these two boats, I would really appreciate hearing them. I intend to use which ever boat I choose to sail single-handed,running up and down the Eastern coast, Bahamas,Caribbean, and possibly further. Thanks!
Old 08-06-2003

Enough power?

Nereus32,

Sorry, I wasn''t trying to disregard the point you''re making.I think it''s a valid one as well. I have an electrical background,and I understand what effects loads have on motors very well. Ok, I know the motor on the boat isn''t electric, but geezzz,you all get my drift.ha!ha!All these things you guys mention are very important to me. I don''t have a lot of money,and I don''t won''t to screw up by getting a boat that doesn''t have the power to take care of my needs.Thanks for the info!
Old 08-11-2003

KenD is on a distinguished road
Enough power?

Hey Guys I thought the idea was to sail the boat. Before you know it Stede will by a stinkboat. I have a full displacement hull about 8700 lbs and only a ten hp motor and yes it is a little underpowered but can make way in a moderate current. You can convert the boat to electric, by the way cost of motor not bad but you need lots of battery space an special charging equipment.
Old 08-11-2003

Enough power?

KenD,

I think it''s safe to say that a stinkboat isn''t in my future.Since I first posted this question, I have learned a few things about repowering a boat and it''s really made me pay more attention to the specs.on the boat,and hull design.In my own twisted little mind,I find the subject interesting.Since I''m looking to buy an older boat,most of them have been repowered.Why someone would repower a boat that came from the factory with a 30 hp, to a 15hp is a little baffling to me.I''m sure money is a big motivator, as is what the boat is intended to be used for.I think it''s also good to be aware of what type problems typically occur in some of the orignial engines that are still on older boats.I didn''t know before my search that most of the old Atomic 4''s had over-heating problems that can be remedied fairly easily. By applying some of the basic "rules of thumb" that have been mentioned here, I think I''ll find the boat that meets my needs.Knowing what size engine should be in a boat compared to what is in it, should also give me another bargaining tool if dealing on a boat that is marginal in power.At least that''s my theory ;^)
Old 08-12-2003

Enough power?

I didn''t really think you would go to the dark side but who knows. This is an excellent site to gather information and some of the best minds subscribe to it good luck with your boat there is an article in this old magazine on atomic fours and why they have the hp rating for just a small boat something about rpm and peak hp you can get to thier site though this one and they even will give you a free past issue. If you are looking at older clasic plastic they have some great stuff covered
Old 08-12-2003

DuaneIsing is on a distinguished road
Enough power?

KenD,

What site are you referring to?

Duane
Old 08-25-2003

Enough power?

goodoldboat.com is the site to which I refered. They ran a few articles on the a-4 very imformative. At least I am not scared to death of them now,I suppose it''s like anything else if the engine is taken care of and all the precautions are taken it will be as safe as possible to operate.
Old 10-03-2003

lizrich is on a distinguished road
Enough power?

I am puzzled as to how C&C made a boat 32 feet ten inches in length and gave it a 34 feet waterline. Also I believe if you equip your boat with the perfect prop for your engine, an 18 hp engine will be fine.
I sail a C & C 35 MkI with an Atomic 4 and a Martec folding prop (Far from ideal) and do well except against waves 4 feet or steeper.
The Atomic 4 was put in boats of all sizes, even 40 footers and powered them well.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.