SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Gear & Maintenance (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance/)
-   -   Galley cutting board (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance/76667-galley-cutting-board.html)

brokesailor 07-23-2011 07:03 AM

Galley cutting board

Where can you order one of those white cutting boards that fit over the galley sink and make for extra horizontal space?

Minnewaska 07-23-2011 07:36 AM

Not sure what you've seen before. Some boats come with a custom sink enclosure. However, if you google "over the sink cutting board" you will get many hits and probably find something that fits.

CorvetteGuy 07-23-2011 09:27 AM

Try buying an oversized quality cutting board and cut it to fit. With a few modifications it can stay in place while under way. \use extra cutoffs and attach them to the bottom around the sink hole cheap easy dyI.

chef2sail 07-23-2011 05:26 PM

I prefer to use a cheap polyethalene cutting board placed over the decorative one over the sink and also the propane stove area

First Sanitation wise unless you are going to bleach the wood ones all the time after use, you run the risk of having food particles grow bacteria in the tiny knife knicks and slits made in the wood

Secondly the polyethalene board keeps doesnt dull your knife as quickly

Lastly they are light weight and easily cleanable.

Most commercial kitchens use polyetalene cutting boards and most county health departments embrago or prohibit the use of wood cutting surfaces

Dave

rockDAWG 07-23-2011 05:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by brokesailor (Post 753480)
Where can you order one of those white cutting boards that fit over the galley sink and make for extra horizontal space?

Cutting Boards and polyethylene at The Cutting Board Factory

Minnewaska 07-23-2011 08:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chef2sail (Post 753618)
.......Secondly the polyethalene board keeps doesnt dull your knife as quickly.....

The debate over whether natural wood has natural anti-bacterial properties and plastic is a natural petri dish is interesting. Bottom line, as I know you know, you can't cross contaminate anything, wood or plastic. Whether they continue to retain contaminants after you wash them might have something to do with how well you wash them. It is easier to throw a poly board in the dishwasher.

Nevertheless, from personal experience, I was surprised to see the above conclusion. I find poly to be much more abusive to rounding over fine knife edges.

chef2sail 07-24-2011 10:14 AM

Quote:

The debate over whether natural wood has natural anti-bacterial properties and plastic is a natural petri dish is interesting

Not sure about the debate thing, but in acommercial establishment the health departments embargo wooden cutting boards. It has to do with the ability to clean them properly because of the nicks, slashes, groves placed in them by the knoves as well as the seems present when most of them are made glueing together pieces of wood. It has to due with the degree of cleaning. In a commercial establishment both wood and polypropele cutting board could go through the large commercial dishwashers so that is not the reason.

In terms of dulling a knife, it is my experience professionally that reason most knives get dull is that people neglect to properly hone them when using them. The simple practice of using a diamond laced steel freuqently is the prime reason most knoves are not razor sharp. The average individual sharpens their knife when it dulls rathert han swipe it on a steel.

Dave

T37Chef 07-24-2011 11:12 AM

Wood vs. Plastic Cutting Boards...

The wood vs. plastic cutting board discussion is much like the cored vs. solid hull or mono-hull vs. multi...there is no definitive answer in my opinion :)

My $.02...

I prefer wood for a cutting board. I find its easier on the knife, especially my expensive Japanese carbon steel knives.

I understand that a commercial application isn't comparable to home use, and would defer to using plastic in a commercial kitchen. Primarily because wood wouldn't be cleaned properly, the plastic can be run through a commercial dishwasher at 190 degrees +. I find cleaning a wooden cutting board with soapy water & rinse followed by a vinegar bath does just fine. In addition, a wooden cutting board is easily brought back to life by running through a planner.

One suggestion, I have one board I use only for chicken.

Bottom line as far as I am concerned, whatever you choose, keep it clean and replace or repair when the board is beat up ;)

An interesting test by UC Davis on the topic: UC-Davis Food Safety Laboratory: Cutting Board Research

Another good comparison: Cutting Boards - wood or plastic?

One in favor of plastic: Cutting Boards and Food Safety - Cutting Board Tips & Advice - Wooden Cutting Boards or Plastic?

In favor of wood: About.com: http://www.rhtubs.com/wood-bacteria.htm

The Straight Dope: What's better, a wooden cutting board or a plastic one?

Cutting board - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

SVAuspicious 07-24-2011 11:40 AM

While it is with some caution that I insert myself between Dave and Shawn *grin* I do much prefer cutting on wood. With all due respect to Dave's citation of government regulation I have found that often that regulation isn't based on scientific data.

A couple of other interesting resources:
Cutting Boards - Equipment & Gear - Cooking For Engineers

Michael's Kitchen: Cutting Boards

While I do run boat cooking tools through a dishwasher in general I work with hand cleaning. A couple of my larger pots don't fit in the sink and my cutting boards (one wood for meat, two for veg & cheese (one wood, one small plastic sometimes used for service) , one wood for bread) certainly don't. My practice--right, wrong, or indifferent--is to use a soapy sponge to wipe down the board and then spray with vinegar water (I have sprayers with vinegar and with bleach under the galley sink).

So far nobody died. *grin*

Seriously, no visible sign of growth on the boards. When I had my water system tested for bacteria we swiped the meat and large veg board -- no meaningful bacteria count.

chef2sail 07-24-2011 01:50 PM

Dave/ Shaun,

Knowing both of you guys personally, I would expect a "higher" quality of kitchen awareness from you both. I do not beleive the average boater takes such precautions.

The key here is that you properly sanitize. So how many people here actually do you think actually spray the boards with a bleach or white vinegar solution after each task.I am still waiting here for more raised hands. I applaud your use of a "sanitizer" and agree about using seperate boards for poultry. Wonder how many people actually do that besides us? Still no other hands...huh..

I would bet the average boat they only wash the boards with soap and water and let air dry. Ill bet also they have only one cutting board also.

Its probably why the FDA demands for no wooden boards in a commercial establishment take place. It is based on what the average person or establish does.

Quote:

Seriously, no visible sign of growth on the boards.
Of course you cant see the bacteria that gets you ill

I will continue to eact anything Dave and Shaun make, not only will the quality be top notch, but it will be safe also. grin...grin

Dave