Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 07-24-2011
Bombay Explorer 44

TQA is on a distinguished road
Joker valve life

I have a boat fitted with a Raritan loo PH II model.

I am a liveaboard so it gets daily use.

The joker valve life seems to be about 8 months before it starts alowing back flow. On my third one in 18 months.

On my previous boat I had a Jabsco and I changed the joker valve once in 7 years.

So to my question Is 8 months all I can expect from the Raritan valve.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-24-2011

olson34 is on a distinguished road
Question

Our Raritan PH2 head has never had a problem with that check valve (Joker) in 15 years.
On any brand of head, be sure that you always pump enough clean water thru to clear out any small bit of paper waste that might catch in the Joker and allow some back-flooding.

L
Old 07-25-2011

CaptainForce will become famous soon enough
An ounce of vinegar (acetic acid) left in the bowl will lower the pH and prevent deposits from encrusting the joker valve. This can improve odors as well. Take care and joy, Aythya crew
Old 07-25-2011

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainForce View Post
An ounce of vinegar (acetic acid) left in the bowl will lower the pH and prevent deposits from encrusting the joker valve. This can improve odors as well. Take care and joy, Aythya crew
Neat trick, but I have to question the impact that has on the health of a holding tank and resultant boat odors.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 07-25-2011

I find holding tank odors to be best without toxic chemicals and with the promotion of aerobic bacteria. I greatly improved my holding tank odor with the addition of a second vent. In addition to the acetic acid in the vinegar a little olive oil can keep the pump mechanisms running smoothy. We're just talking "salad dressing" here and it does no harm to the aerobic bacteria. Take care and joy, Aythya crew
Old 07-25-2011

fcsob is on a distinguished road
The vinegar will damage the rubber type valves in the head. I use it to sanitise my head the flush with lots of fresh water. I do not use oil in my head,when it starts to pump hard i remove the pump plunger and coat with a ptfe grease.
Old 07-25-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by fcsob View Post
The vinegar will damage the rubber type valves in the head. I use it to sanitise my head the flush with lots of fresh water. I do not use oil in my head,when it starts to pump hard i remove the pump plunger and coat with a ptfe grease.
Any damage from a weak acid like the acetic acid in vinegar can only occur in a great concentration. I squirt about a teaspoon full into the bowl about once a day and have continued this practice fairly regularly for about twenty-six years without any noticible damage to any "rubber type" valves or seals in my Raritan heads. I did replace a head after about eighteen years of service and I have replaced joker valves about once every five years and the hoses to the holding tank three times, maybe four, in twenty-six years. If you flush with fresh water as fcsob wisely suggests, then there is less chance of scale building up on the joker valve and hoses and vinegar would not be useful; however, we often value saving our fresh water supply. Different strategies for different needs. Take care and joy, Aythya crew
Old 07-25-2011

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough
Oil film on the top of a holding tank, which is where it will collect, prevent oxygen from getting to the aerobic bacteria. This has been well reviewed. Salad dressing would never be flushed down my heads.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 07-26-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnewaska View Post
Oil film on the top of a holding tank, which is where it will collect, prevent oxygen from getting to the aerobic bacteria. This has been well reviewed. Salad dressing would never be flushed down my heads.
Good point and well agreed with; however, I'm not following a practice that would result in such a problem. As I said that I use about a teaspoon of vinegar daily; I sometimes add a teaspoon of oil when my hand pump gets squeaky, about once a month. There's no way this activity would inhibit aerobic bacteria. Please don't imagine that I would favor operating the head with large volumes of vinegar and oil. Take care and joy, Aythya crew
Old 07-26-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainForce View Post
Good point and well agreed with; however, I'm not following a practice that would result in such a problem. As I said that I use about a teaspoon of vinegar daily; I sometimes add a teaspoon of oil when my hand pump gets squeaky, about once a month. There's no way this activity would inhibit aerobic bacteria. Please don't imagine that I would favor operating the head with large volumes of vinegar and oil. Take care and joy, Aythya crew
Roger that. I could imagine some having read this and thought, if a little works, then a quart works better.

I still get compulsive about what goes down the head. My wife and I spent 16 days aboard in June and it never smelled one bit. No matter how much encouragement I give to guests to flush more water, etc, it always starts a hint about 36 to 48 hrs aboard. Finicky systems.

Jeanneau 54DS