Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-08-2011

jrmdive is on a distinguished road
Catalina 30

I have a 1984 Catalina 30 that I have converted to electric propulsion. The system is a Propulsion Marine 5.5KW (Mars double stator) system with an industrial gearbox. I have a string of 4 4D AGMs and a 12.5x14 acme prop.

It's great. It makes the boat even more fun, and since I'm much more comfortable with things electrical rather than things diesel it makes it less unfun to maintain.

The drivetrain is far superior to the ICE version. The drawback is the energy density issue as has previously been stated. If you'd be happy with a gallon or two of fuel, you'll be happy with electric. If you can live with that limitation, the advantages are legion.

JRM
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-18-2011

intrepidseas is on a distinguished road
It sounds crazy, but I honestly think one of the biggest advantages of going electric on a sailboat is the perceived disadvantage- reduced range. An electric system will get you in and out of the marina, no problem. It is true though that you have reduced range and can't motor long distances with an electric system under "auxiliary" power... but isn't it supposed to be a "sail"boat? Honestly, I have become a much more confident sailor and have gotten a lot more use out of my boat and enjoyed my time on the water a lot more without the false sense of security of my old diesel engine, which left me stranded a few times. I love the electric propulsion system on my boat!

A lot more people are getting excited about electric sailing now too. If you're interested, please join our community at: Electric Seas - A Resource For The Electric Boating Community

-Greg Martin
s/v Intrepid, Bristol 32e
Okinawa, Japan
Old 08-25-2011

davidpm is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by intrepidseas View Post
It sounds crazy, but I honestly think one of the biggest advantages of going electric on a sailboat is the perceived disadvantage- reduced range.
Interesting way to look at the issue.
It does force one to think about each outing.

Last edited by Faster; 08-27-2011 at 12:25 PM. Reason: fixed quote
Old 08-27-2011
Both ends are pointy.

junkrig is on a distinguished road
Only on land, but...
My wife grazes livestock on our small acreage, using an intensive grazing system which enables her to more than double the per acre animal production. It also requires her to run all over the place moving animals, opening and closing gates, and related tasks.
Her primary farm implement is a 36 volt electric golf cart.
3 years ago I put a 200 amp 50 volt Mitsubishi solar panel on the roof and a custom charge controller for 36 volts under the seat.
She only plugs it in to charge in the winter. Late spring, summer, and early fall the solar keeps her up ok.
She uses this cart all day every day, but usually just for short bursts of activity followed by some idle time.
An electric propulsion system for my boat is in my future.
Jeff

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

S/V Seablossom Nor'Sea 27 with modern junk rig.
Just because I like it.
Old 08-27-2011

mitiempo will become famous soon enough mitiempo will become famous soon enough
200 watts I think you mean.
Old 10-30-2011

doghousephoto is on a distinguished road
Tartan 30 Electric Drive in NC

My electric drive in my Tartan 30. I used a kit from thunderstruck-ev.com that I got used off of Craigslist for $700, the guy also threw in a 48v charger for free (saved $375). I got the AGM batteries 8 from a salvage yard that got them from NC state gov servers. They were USB backup batteries. They have a 10 year life and were replaced by the state at 4 years, $280. The gearbox I bought new and is a Browning 302 with 1:1.4 ratio. I am spinning a indigo prop I bought when I was using the A4. I will probably get something with more pitch when I pull out again. The gearbox was $650. So for under $1700 I have an electric system. I can do 3 kts at 20 amps and 5 knots at 60 amps. Not sure of the range yet. I have a small generator that charged everything back up one night that I spent on a sandbar and would probably extend the range if I were to use it while underway. SO far I love it! It is simple to use and costs nothing to run and very quiet. I will try to do some regen in the future since the prop spins at 3.5 knots. Lots of room for improvement to this system but for now, I am very satisfied. This is an older photo when I was just trying to get the boat out of the yard and back to the marina. (Now 8 batts and better mounting of the controller.) And everything fits under the engine housing nicely.
Attached Thumbnails
Calling all electic drive boats-dscn0544-800x600-.jpg  
Old 10-31-2011
Mike Electric Yachts SoCA

mgunning is on a distinguished road
Tartan 30 E Drive

Great buys! Just a couple of comments - I know you have updated the final installation:
- You might want to look at putting in some heat sinks or fans for both the motor and the controller. More air circulation around the system when the motor box is on would make that a good idea.
- The cables seem to be a little small for the system but I did not see the size of the batteries or the max amps you can draw.
- Great location for the weight but I did not see much in the way of strong securing of the batteries, that would be really important.
- Could not tell if the controller was a Gen 4 or not but we have had better success with that unit than the older controllers.
- Make sure the charger is programed for AGM batteries and if it is not compatible, get one that is as it could ruin your batteries.
- Can not comment of the reduction but, if it is giving you good distance and close to hull speed at a reasonable draw, it must be pretty close.

The Tartan 30 is a really nice traditional boat S&S design and I am sure you will enjoy it with your new electric propulsion.
Mike
"Electra" Newport 30MKll
EY of Southern California
Old 10-31-2011

davidpm is on a distinguished road
[QUOTE=doghousephoto;792041Not sure of the range yet. I have a small generator that charged everything back up one night that I spent on a sandbar and would probably extend the range if I were to use it while underway. [/QUOTE]

What generator are you using?
Also please post range info when you get it.
Old 10-31-2011

doghousephoto is on a distinguished road
Hey Mike and Dave,
I'll have to get a newer photo posted. This photo was how I set things up to get out of the yard and 1000 meters to the marina. Batteries are now secure. The connections are welding wire, three fans, heat sinks, good charger with Gel and AGM capability, saving up for a Gen4 controller, and it is an awesome sailing boat! The generator is a little 2000 watt thing I got off the Home Depot website for $400. I pulled the carburetor off and am switching it over to gas vapor. I am hoping to build a box for it to mount it in front of the mast. When I am done, it will have electric start and a small adjustable blower fan will be the accelerator with all the controls mounted in the cockpit. Thanks for your interest and I will post more when I get it. Bill
Old 11-01-2011

Mark F is on a distinguished road
Hi Bill,

Looking forward to some more photos. Sounds like a great system. Nice score on the AGM's! Changing the prop will be one of the biggest things you can do for performance. I'm guessing a 13x13 three blade will give you close to 6 knots of boat speed and around 4 knots at a 20 amp draw.

Mike, what problems were you having with the Sevcon Millipak (pre gen4)? I've been running mine for 3 1/2 years with no problems.

Mark